Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 02-23-2008

Hi Leroy,

I have better luck with the 10 micron filter. The secondary spin-on is a 2 micron. If you use two 2-micron filters, the fuel vacuum will be a little high and mine does not perform as well.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 02-23-2008
Administrator

Leroy,

For my once a year Racor filter change, I purchase from West Marine,
Pay a little more, but this is a Racor-Parker replacement.
When Ya open a Napa-Balkamp box, it is a surprise, Sometimes Racor, sometimes Wix, sometimes a no-name brand.
Other places that carry RACOR Fuel filters are Boatersworld, O'Rilley's.
Carry several spares, water, contaminated fuel, and algae, will clog up
these filters quickly. In a pinch they all will filter out the crud .
Old 02-23-2008

Thanks to all.
I got the filters changed on the engine and did an oil and filter change on the genset. I have a 1000FG Model Racor. The element is 2020SM which crosses to NAPA 3210 and Wix 33210. The secondary filter is Wix 33120 or NAPA 3120. The guy at the parts house told me NAPA filters are made by Wix. I always take that with a grain of salt. However, the fleet service company in FL that did my prior oil and fuel filter services used NAPA. Sure enough the production address on the filters were the same. Same color, different name.
Thanks for the help.
Don't argue over the taste difference of Stokley or VanCamp. They are the same beans. lol

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 02-23-2008

Now I don't really know what to think. Since I always had the fleet service folks change these things, (the price was cheap and I kept my hands clean) I never knew any difference. It always runs well.
The 33120 is a 10mc. The Racor unit Wix 33210 is a 10mc. Is there anything wrong with that? Mine has been that way since I have owned it for about 4 years. Vacuum is around 5. Never had a problem. Should the secondary be 2mc?

Old 02-23-2008
Administrator

Leroy,

I may have confused the issue , If you read back to a few earlier posts.
I have the Racor model 900,, it uses the 2040 series of filters,
Based on your Racor numbers and Pete's input you may use the 2020 series filters. Which would cross to different NAPA numbers than the Napa numbers that I posted.

But, Yep I use a Racor 10 micron and a 2 micron on the 3208.
Old 02-23-2008

Your info is good Bill. Pete's is also. I am wondering if somewhere along the way someone changed my secondary with the wrong filter and it has continued to this day. It seems to make sense to use a 10mc for the Racor and a 2mc for the secondary. I would presume that a 2mc may be of a different size to account for flow. My secondary filter does not have much room on the vertical plane. No problem on diameter.

Old 02-23-2008

Wix and NAPA are exactly the same filter. Not an old wive's tale. Came right from the mouth of a Wix rep. You can also tell by comparing the construction. The world of filters is weird and wonderful. Many of the mfrs. do not make a full line of filters. They just buy the oddballs from another mfr. For instance the Cat filters for all legacy engines are no longer made by Cat. They buy them from another mfr. I buy my filters for our whole fleet from www.filter1.com and www.filterbarn.com

Filter Barn carry surplus filters but sometimes have genuine Cat and often they are Fleetguard. The latter are excellent filters. Better than OEM. Filter 1 wants $11.57 for the Racor 2020sm ( Racor in a Wix box) Filter Barn has the Fleetguard for $9.82.

Bruce

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 02-23-2008

I hear you. I paid $10.26 locally for the Wix. Looked just like the old one. $1.00 for gas to get there and back.

Old 06-15-2009

Default Racor Filter

Hey there guys,

I have read several posts on filter issues, but I haven't had to pay much attention until now. I haven't had my bird long, but I have replaced the regular spin on filter that looks like it was supplied by CAT. I have also noted that the filter housing by the tank has been bypassed. I am getting the feeling that my Bird is being starved of fuel due to it often not wanting to accelerate as it should. I noticed that I have another filter/water separator housing that is large (about 6-7 inches in diameter) and black. It has a drain on the bottom. I am not sure if this is a racor or another type. I do not see a clear sight glass or bowl that I often hear you guys talk about. My main question is how do I change this filter or the lack thereof? Or do I simply need to drain it?

Jason Warner
Yukon, Oklahoma
1990 SP36
Old 06-16-2009

If it is a Racor it will have a "T" handle on the top. Turn that handle ccw and remove lid. Inside the upper housing is the filter element. Remove the element and replace with new. There should be a O ring in the lid. You may want to replace that also. It comes with the new filter. Fill the upper housing with fuel, hand tighten the upper lid and you should be in buisness. Rick
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656