Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 09-04-2010

Default air box oil drain catch tank

hi guy's
i need some input, i'm going to build and install catch tank - i am ok with the 3/8 drain lines and cheak vlv's but i see two - about 1&1/4 inch steel flex lines one on each side of engine that are coming from some where high on engine. are they engine vent lines? should they be added to tank? they are very oilly and hang down to the bottom of oil pan. i can't see exactly where they come from any help would be great!!
thanks mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 09-04-2010
95 WB 42

Mike

I think what you are describing are the valve cover vents, I would not add these to the "slobber"tank.I nside valve covers where these breather tubes orginate there should be filtr medium insude the round breather vents that should slow down oil mist.Note slow it down will not elimate it all.
On both of our Coaches the slobber box/oil catchers attach only to the air box drains. It is simply a 15" piece of 3"pvc pipe capped on both ends with threaded nipples to lines and a ball valve drain line.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 09-04-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

I don't know if this will help or not;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine > Detroit Diesel Tips and Modifications >

DETROIT DIESEL AIR BOX DRAIN KIT.pdf
DETROIT DIESEL "SLOBBER TUBES" DRAIN CANISTER KIT INSTALLATION. A PDF file of the Installation Instructions for the Detroit Diesel Air Box Drain cannister Kit. Some 'Bird owners have designed their own out of PVC pipe and brass fittings, to duplicate this type of cannister, even some SP owners have used a very similar setup on their Cats to keep the oil mist from covering their toads.
DETROIT DIESEL WALKER AIR BOX DRAIN KIT.pdf
DETROIT DIESEL AIRBOX DRAIN KIT AJ4120KT manufactured by Walker Engineering Enterprises

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmagoo View Post
hi guy's
i need some input, i'm going to build and install catch tank - i am ok with the 3/8 drain lines and cheak vlv's but i see two - about 1&1/4 inch steel flex lines one on each side of engine that are coming from some where high on engine. are they engine vent lines? should they be added to tank? they are very oilly and hang down to the bottom of oil pan. i can't see exactly where they come from any help would be great!!
thanks mike
Mike. Tell us what your plan is for building the catch tank, including venting it.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 09-04-2010

i was going to make it from alum. but pvc sure would be quick and cheaper.for the vent i was planning to run 2'' round pipe up a few inches then 180 turn and terminate with filter, but i'm open to suggestions.
thanks to all for info mike
washington Il.
Old 09-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmagoo View Post
i was going to make it from alum. but pvc sure would be quick and cheaper.for the vent i was planning to run 2'' round pipe up a few inches then 180 turn and terminate with filter, but i'm open to suggestions.
thanks to all for info mike
Thanks Mike. I started making a catch tank out of exhaust tubing but never finished it. Agree, the PVC is less work. Your breather idea is great The tank can be capped on one end, 3" to 2" reducer on other end, elbows and pipe should take care of the breather. What filter, mfg. and #,are you planning to use? Also what about drain(s)?

I made brackets to anchor my "not yet finished" tank using 4 oil pan bolts. Those I can be modify and use large hose clamps at the 3" pipe.

Glad you jump started this subject. Thanks.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 09-04-2010

the drain pipe to the catch should remain steel and conductive to the hot block. if you replace it with rubber or plastic you stand the chance of a clog. may be a good idea to include a pcv filter and pressure escape in the catch or y off of the down tube.
Old 09-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOConnor View Post
the drain pipe to the catch should remain steel and conductive to the hot block. if you replace it with rubber or plastic you stand the chance of a clog. may be a good idea to include a pcv filter and pressure escape in the catch or y off of the down tube.
Hi Greg. Right, use the original pipe (drain tubes) to the catch. Wouldn't an elevated air filter (breather) do the same as the PCV?
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 09-05-2010
Senior

I have what appears to be a factory air box drain collector and it is made from a small lsteel cylinder although I see no reason that PVC pipe should not work just as well. The collector is mounted just under the starter on my 6V92. The vent is simply a short piece of tubing soldered into the top of the cylinder and is about 2" long with a cap over it made of what appears to be some kind of porus material affixed to the tubing with a cotter key thru the middle of it. There are also two smaller tubes coming off the top and also soldered into the cylinder where the drain box rubber tubing is slipped on and held by small stainless hose clamps. On the end of the cylinder is a small drain valve similar to one used on my air compressor air tank.
6V92
Old 09-05-2010

i was going to use atv high flow (like k&n)air filter,(to terminate vent line) they have round intake that has metal band type hose clamp the one on my atv has 2 inch intake. i thought it would be good as its got metal screen and cloth construction and is not going to fail due to rain ect. and with the 180 above it it should not ever allow water in tank. the drain would be tapped into end cap at bottom edge to maintain ground clearance. so... what do you think/
thanks mike
washington Il.