Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 04-07-2011

Default Bendix 750 TU-FLO Air Compressor

Anyone know where to get a new or good re-man
Bendix 750 Tru-Flo Air Compressor?
for a '95 PT42 Series-60
Part numbers.
DD# 23505235
Bendix new# 965217
Bendix Re-Man # 107623X
Old 04-07-2011

Kurt- Try Worldwide Bus Parts in Jessup, MD- (410) 799-9530 Ask for Tom. He's got a large warehouse full of bus stuff and might have a few.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 04-07-2011
Gardner

I went to a local shop last August and got a reman from a rebuilder in North Carolina, Bepco, and installed it myself. It started leaking oil profusely after 8k miles or so. The warranty is 2 years, 200,000 miles or 7200 hours--They replaced it free of charge, no questions. I had to R&R it, however.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 04-07-2011

Sun went down I had to stop working. Snapped a few phone pics.

I only got to work on her from about 30 min.

Here is the offending oil leak, red arrow, this bolt is broken of in the A/C housing.

I'm not too proud to ask a question I don't have an answer for.

What is the the thing mounted to the the Air Compressor. It has 3 bolts in the flange, one broken the area of the leak, but what is it ???? To the right of the arrow.

Once you have the Alternator cradle out of the way The Air Compressor is much more accessible

Heres my newest best Friend,

Old 04-07-2011

Kurt, The thing your asking about is your fuel pump. It would be very easy for you to change it right now. There are also two important engine sensors in that same area you should consider changing now!

Change the fuel lines and air lines while your in there also!

You can buy the Bendix air compressor at Ogburns Truck Parts in Dallas 214-637-0516.

If you change the regulator along with the alternator I suggest the older style. It is much heavier duty than the new one. Good luck....
2000 LXI "Fort R #5"
Fort Worth, Tx gardendoc@aol.com
Old 04-07-2011

Rick,

Is there a chance that it's leaking fuel instead of oil as I assumed ?
Honestly the scummy film has a consistency more like diesel than motor oil, now that I think about it. My fuel mileage is really crummy over 63-65 mph. Down around 5 mpg. @60mph I get close to 7 mpg.

I did order a regulator with the new alternator, I did not know there were new and old models, I'm guessing it will be the new type.

I'd like to redo all the hoses in the engine bay. Good idea.

I have half way decided to pull the A/C compressor for the front dash and get it reworked so it's in alignment with the drive pulley, it never threw any belts but it's way out of whack.

I'm in no hurry to buy and new Air Compressor, but at least now I have a few sources to get one if I need it. I'm hoping for a repair of what's there.

Last edited by Bumpersbird; 04-08-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2011

Do you know which sensors and the
part numbers by any chance ?
Old 04-08-2011

Kurt, The sensors are a TRS sensor (tells the ecm the engine speed) and the SRS sensor ( synch reference sensor). Any Detroit shop will have these after you give them your engine serial number. A bear to change on the side of the highway.....much easier for you now. They are right there in the block one on the side and one on the back of the bull gear housing.

You could be leaking fuel from the fuel pump or one of it's hoses/fittings? Or you could be leaking oil from your alternator (looks like oil in your pic of the monster alternator bracket)? Or leaking oil from the air compressor especially if you have a broken bolt on that assembly. I tried rebuilding one of those compressors as i was trying to save $, it was not a smart move. I found a old guy who was a Bendix employee and he told me to get a reman air compressor unit. He said it is important to have it perfect for safety reasons!

The 300 amp alternator is a beast. The 95's came with a regulator about the size of a shoe. If you replace the regulator with the new style it is the size of a pack of cigarettes. I blew several of these till i figured them out. The old one has very large heavy wires in it. The new one has tiny little wires. If your batteries are down any....I mean any...and you start the coach, if it goes to 200 plus amps and it can... and will. The new little regulator can't handle the load and can blow. So I prefer the older technology here, the bigger regulator. Plus never start the engine with low batts, always start the gen first and wait till the chargers kick in for 1 minute. Just my opinion of course....

Part numbers....while I did try to save and record them....were lost in the battle's on the side of the highway.
2000 LXI "Fort R #5"
Fort Worth, Tx gardendoc@aol.com
Old 04-08-2011

Dang,

This is going to be a Royal Pain in the A--!

If anybody has taken the air compressor off a series 60 in a Bird, feel free to tell me how you did it..

As far as I can see I may have to take the DDEC and the fuel filter housing off just to get at the inside bottom mounting bolt on the air compressor. I was incorrect on the location of the leak it's NOT the fuel pump,( obvious once you get all the sludge off of it, thanks for the heads ups ), it is the mount, 4 bolts, that mount the fuel pump assembly to the main air compressor housing.

Another problem is working under the bus, Once I start disconnecting air lines from the motor air compressor that's where she'll sit until it's fixed. I'm not very happy under my coach.

Now if had a pit, when she's aired up easy to get under, but hard to work on the top side. And visa-versa when aired down. Lots of cribbing is needed to make me feel somewhat at ease

I guess it's like taxes, sooner of later your just going to have to do it.
Old 04-08-2011

Problem solved removed the bumper. Easy to get under and the coach is already aired down. No crush risk.

So that's only a 10,000 hithch???
Now I know why when I asked an old BB tech. How much can I pill with it. ? He answered anything you want. 10,000 lbs rated ?? ??