Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 04-08-2011

My Fiber optic snake camera broken down

I wanted get a look at this inaccessible bolt on the bottom inside position on the A.C. There isn't one. two bolts out of four, Hey were batting 500.
First pic is missing top bolt, you can see the bright spot inside the hole that's the broken bolt. 2nd pic it's also missing the missing bottom bolt. 3rd pic is the bottom bolt picture taken from under the AC. 4th pic this bracket look like a BB part but in the first pic it looks like the DD logo stamped into the steel. I was wandering if it's a necessary brace from the AC/fuel pump assembly

Old 04-08-2011
Forum Moderator

Kurt tell about the bumper removal. Difficult? Rusted bolts etc
Old 04-08-2011
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpersbird View Post
4th pic this bracket look like a BB part but in the first pic it looks like the DD logo stamped into the steel. I was wandering if it's a necessary brace from the AC/fuel pump assembly?
Kurt,

My S60 workshop manuals show that bracket to be a DD part. It also says there was a new and improved fuel pump available in July 1995. If you need some assembly instructions or torque specs I can probably furnish them. The only problem is that half of the 2 volume workshop manual is in my garage in Cornelius. (2hrs away).

BTW, there are also a couple late model brackets available that secure the gear housing to the engine block. I wonder if movement of the gear housing caused one of your A.C. bolts to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardendoc View Post
The 300 amp alternator is a beast. The 95's came with a regulator about the size of a shoe. If you replace the regulator with the new style it is the size of a pack of cigarettes. I blew several of these till i figured them out. The old one has very large heavy wires in it. The new one has tiny little wires. If your batteries are down any....I mean any...and you start the coach, if it goes to 200 plus amps and it can... and will. The new little regulator can't handle the load and can blow. So I prefer the older technology here, the bigger regulator. Plus never start the engine with low batts, always start the gen first and wait till the chargers kick in for 1 minute. Just my opinion of course....

Part numbers....while I did try to save and record them....were lost in the battle's on the side of the highway.
Rick,

Field current for a 12V 50dn outputting 300 amps is from 8.1 to 8.4 amps. The voltage regulator shouldn't see any amperage higher than this. In any case, if you have time I sure would like a part number for the early regulator.
Old 04-08-2011

Thanks David, I will take take any help I can get on the issue.
I don't know about the bolt failure, I knew I was missing one , but not two, As long as it didn't leak and by leak I mean dripping, I was OK with it, All this just raises more questions than it answers.

Rob, The bumper is no problem maybe 50 lbs. 8 bolts Unhook the backup light and don't forget to remove the 7 way plug. mine was screwed into the bumper. An air ratchet made it easy. 20 minuets time to take off.

Guys, I'm thinking I may just take a pass on this one. I'm thinking once I have the new alternator. I might just put it back together and drive her 90 miles to Covington Diesel in Nashville and let the pros mess with this one. I could get all the hoses and sensors replaced, the Air Compressor and fuel pump would be put right, almost time to do the valve lash adjustment and I would have the warranty on the work and parts if I let them do it.

Honestly I'm just not up for right now too many other priorities. Not to mention the fact I'm flying solo on this one.

To quote Clint Eastwood " A mans got to know his limitations"
Old 04-08-2011
davidmbrady

Kurt,

Have your local Detroit Diesel Allison Service Center send out a mobile tech. There may be a travel charge, but the labor rate is the same as the shop rate. Get on the phone with the service manager to put together a parts list. The service manager will know what parts are superceded, what stiffening brackets can be added, what bolts shouldn't be reused, etc, etc. A mobile tech can easily handle this job in one afternoon. I've had great success with their mobile's. Good Luck!
Old 04-08-2011

David, I was toying with that idea. The way fuel is priced I could come out ahead. I'll give it a try, I could be up and running in a week or so if it works out.
Old 04-08-2011
Forum owner

all I can do is watch the show.
Since you have it apart,the mobile tech sounds good.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-09-2011

Randy

Not to change the thread but do you still a source for the Air Conditioner Bracket Repair?

I went back and found the old thread on the topic.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3473&highlight=bracket

My machine shop guys are going out of business left and right, or they are just so covered up with work they won't take it.

If he will do it. Can you get a price, the last posts were a couple of years ago so the rates may have changed.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2011
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpersbird View Post
Randy

Not to change the thread but do you still a source for the Air Conditioner Bracket Repair?

I went back and found the old thread on the topic.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3473&highlight=bracket

My machine shop guys are going out of business left and right, or they are just so covered up with work they won't take it.

If he will do it. Can you get a price, the last posts were a couple of years ago so the rates may have changed.

Thanks
My guy was a retired fireman (turned machine shop owner),work is slow and he got an offer to be the fire chief,along with the big check,benefits and a red truck to drive.
So,hes now the Chief.
His wife is still running the CNC shop with help from 2 employees,but these kind of projects need James to be there.
So,after all that,No,James is not available these days to fix that bracket.

But,the bracket he fixed for me has lots of slo in it already,i still have it but its too sloppy,the belts still jump off.
His work was good,but the slop in the sleeve and the bolt (2 areas) just multiply and since the pivot is below the compressor a little slop goes a long way,plus you get all kinds of vibration in the compressor,not good.

When I get time I'm going to remake my bracket and use rubber bushing's to mount the compressor,big A frame/control arm bushings.
All you have to do is find some with the right OD and the right ID and press them in,this will take up the slop,and the vibration at the same time.
My bracket on the 01 with 30,000 miles on it is very sloppy,the belts are already jumping off.
I'll dig up the old bracket off the burned coach and drop it off at the NAPA store,they will find some bushings..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-10-2011
davidmbrady

Hi Kurt,

For what it's worth, here's a photo album of the mod my machinist made to my AC bracket:

https://picasaweb.google.com/dmb2000/ACBracket#

Maybe Randy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the difference between his mod and mine is the hardened bushings pressed into the outer ears of the bracket (the part that holds the AC compressor) and the flanged pin that bolts to the outer ears. This ensures that the pivot point is between the pin and the inner bushing (the part that's bolted to the engine), and not the outer ear. I think Randy's mod continued to allow pivoting at the outer ear which would accelerate wear.