Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 12-16-2012

Default Horn Button

I have a leather covered Steering Wheel that came with my 1983 FC 33' when I bought it. I found a company in Texas that will recover it of course the button removal is the first step and I,m stuck right of the bat.

Could someone explain how to remove the button. My wheel has three flat metal spokes with holes in each spoke and a heavy leather cover on the rim. The button is set in a metal housing about 2 inches high.

Between shipping and repair this wheel will be gone about 3 to 4 weeks, so if I would l would like ready for Feb I'd like to get it going.

My son is going to pull the wheel and take care of things but I could not remove the button.

I,m stuck in the hospital cardiac unit waiting to have some rebuild work on my heart

So please if you have any ideas send them to me

Henry
Old 12-16-2012
Gardner

On my '83 the horn button just lifts out, it's all plastic. It fits snugly, but get a small screwdriver under the edge and pry gently around the edge and it will come out. That will expose the hex head bolts holding the horn mount ring and the wheel to the hub. The hub does not need to be removed, the wheel is bolted to it with 6 hex head bolts. Very easy to remove and replace.

How much do they want to recover the wheel, if I may ask?
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-16-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozz 33 View Post
I have a leather covered Steering Wheel that came with my 1983 FC 33' when I bought it. I found a company in Texas that will recover it of course the button removal is the first step and I,m stuck right of the bat.

Could someone explain how to remove the button. My wheel has three flat metal spokes with holes in each spoke and a heavy leather cover on the rim. The button is set in a metal housing about 2 inches high.

Between shipping and repair this wheel will be gone about 3 to 4 weeks, so if I would l would like ready for Feb I'd like to get it going.

My son is going to pull the wheel and take care of things but I could not remove the button.

I,m stuck in the hospital cardiac unit waiting to have some rebuild work on my heart

So please if you have any ideas send them to me

Henry

Is your steering wheel similar to this one?

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-16-2012

Henry, Like Gardner said the button just pulls out. You should be able to tell where the button slips into the wheel by a difference in color or material of the wheel and button. May need a knife instead of a screwdriver to start the lift.

The wheel will still be there when you get the maintenance completed on your ticker. Listen to your Doctor and get out of there soon.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-16-2012

Thanks Guys

Gardner the whole thing is about $225 its not cheap but I like the wheel. The VIP wheels look nice but are smaller and I blew a tire a few years ago going down a hill. I had all to do to keep it under control.

John the wheel and button are just like the one you have shown. Where do we need to pry or twist?

Like I said I,m not home and my son is going to do the job. With out a whoops, I hope, and the need to replace any broken parts. I tried and nothing seemed to move.

I,ll be gone for a bit for more probing

Thanks for the help I,m trying to have the Bird ready at the same time I,m ready.

Rick thanks I know but It ticks me off not to be doing this myself

Henry
Old 12-16-2012
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozz 33 View Post
Thanks Guys

Gardner the whole thing is about $225 its not cheap but I like the wheel. The VIP wheels look nice but are smaller and I blew a tire a few years ago going down a hill. I had all to do to keep it under control.
I lost the power steering and had the same experience..no small wheels for me, it was all I could do to stay on the winding road with the big one.

As previously said, looking at Johns picture, the blue button is mounted in the darker, larger plastic ring. Lift up on the edge of the larger, darker ring. The lighter grey hub cap will come off when the bolts are removed.

Here is a pic of the wheel after it is removed..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel-1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	19434   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel-2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	19435  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 12-16-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2012

Default Lots of help

Thanks all for the help

My sons here and said it was a snap with your help. The wheel is off and he will take it to ups in the morning.

Just need a post time and hopefully recoup in time for the holiday and my three year out grand daughter

Have a great Christmas and thank you very much. We will keep all those from here in Sandy Hook, CT in our hearts
Old 12-16-2012
Forum owner

Henry,take care of yourself,don't you worry about that steering wheel!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com