Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-21-2010

Default BMC Air Dryer

For information the BMC air dryer (at least for the '95 and probably the others) is a Midland Grau which is now owned by Haldex. The model number for the whole unit is DA 34100. (Price new is about $430. Rebuilt one is about $270) The rebuild kit which includes the spin on filter holding the desiccant (filter if bought by itself is about $55), a small internal filter, and a few fittings is Haldex part number DQ6026 and costs about $150.

I had mine rebuilt yesterday (I supplied the kit which is what they wanted me to do) and it was a mess. The filter would not come off so they had to pull the whole unit and then in trying to get off the filter it just started spinning. They were afraid something serious had broken inside the dryer but after cutting off the filter found that it had separated and they were able to grab the part of the filter that was spinning inside the filter and remove it.

At that point you could see that the whole unit and the small inside filter were filled with what looked like gray mud (probably desiccant, oil, etc). After washing out everything and starting to put it back together we realized the purge valve (Part number DA 33115, $40) which we also wanted to replace while in there was not in the rebuild kit. After calling around we were told it was not supposed to be but could be bought separately (amazing, not in the kit). We couldn't get one from any of 3 different truck places in this area until the next day and since mine was working OK, we just put the stuff in the kit in the dryer and left the original purge valve in it. I was a little disappointed that the other parts in this kit which weren't much, amounted to about $90 of the cost of the kit. I have no idea if you could buy that little internal filter and gaskets separately but if you could, might save quite a bit of money. However, the shop guy who ended up with 2.5 hours of labor in this thing (which would have been a lot less without the broken filter problem) said that buying a whole rebuilt unit at $270 was might be the best way to go considering if you bought the kit and the purge valve you had about $200 in it anyway and more labor to tear it apart to put the kit in it than just take the whole unit off and put the rebuilt unit on. (and I believe after watching this whole process I could do it myself as it's not too hard to get to)

But this place I have gone to before is very reasonable so with a few computer adjustments on my Transmission (see Pacbrake Issues thread) and about 2.5 hours on this air dryer my bill was only $139.

However, I had not done anything to the air dryer since I owned it (4.5 years) and doubt much was done before then so if you have not done that you might want to look at yours. Getting it off is not bad and next time if I had to do that I believe I can get to it without jacking anything up at all. And you can replace the spin on filter by going in next to the fan on the passenger side by lifting the ventilated door. They recommended replacing that filter about every three years for a Motorhome. I believe they do it yearly on trucks.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 05-21-2010

I rebuilt my air dryer once at my previous sticks and bricks. It can indeed be done without jacking up the coach or using a pit. The condition of my air dryer at that time was similar to yours with dessicant beads and oil plugging up the ports http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...s/message/1126 .

You received a great deal at $139 for both re-programming the Allison and the air dryer rebuild.

This year I had a newer model air dryer unit installed instead of rebuilding the old unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
For information the BMC air dryer (at least for the '95 and probably the others) is a Midland Grau which is now owned by Haldex. The model number for the whole unit is DA 34100. (Price new is about $430. Rebuilt one is about $270) The rebuild kit which includes the spin on filter holding the desiccant (filter if bought by itself is about $55), a small internal filter, and a few fittings is Haldex part number DQ6026 and costs about $150.

I had mine rebuilt yesterday (I supplied the kit which is what they wanted me to do) and it was a mess. The filter would not come off so they had to pull the whole unit and then in trying to get off the filter it just started spinning. They were afraid something serious had broken inside the dryer but after cutting off the filter found that it had separated and they were able to grab the part of the filter that was spinning inside the filter and remove it.

At that point you could see that the whole unit and the small inside filter were filled with what looked like gray mud (probably desiccant, oil, etc). After washing out everything and starting to put it back together we realized the purge valve (Part number DA 33115, $40) which we also wanted to replace while in there was not in the rebuild kit. After calling around we were told it was not supposed to be but could be bought separately (amazing, not in the kit). We couldn't get one from any of 3 different truck places in this area until the next day and since mine was working OK, we just put the stuff in the kit in the dryer and left the original purge valve in it. I was a little disappointed that the other parts in this kit which weren't much, amounted to about $90 of the cost of the kit. I have no idea if you could buy that little internal filter and gaskets separately but if you could, might save quite a bit of money. However, the shop guy who ended up with 2.5 hours of labor in this thing (which would have been a lot less without the broken filter problem) said that buying a whole rebuilt unit at $270 was might be the best way to go considering if you bought the kit and the purge valve you had about $200 in it anyway and more labor to tear it apart to put the kit in it than just take the whole unit off and put the rebuilt unit on. (and I believe after watching this whole process I could do it myself as it's not too hard to get to)

But this place I have gone to before is very reasonable so with a few computer adjustments on my Transmission (see Pacbrake Issues thread) and about 2.5 hours on this air dryer my bill was only $139.

However, I had not done anything to the air dryer since I owned it (4.5 years) and doubt much was done before then so if you have not done that you might want to look at yours. Getting it off is not bad and next time if I had to do that I believe I can get to it without jacking anything up at all. And you can replace the spin on filter by going in next to the fan on the passenger side by lifting the ventilated door. They recommended replacing that filter about every three years for a Motorhome. I believe they do it yearly on trucks.
Old 03-08-2012

Default BMC Air Dryer

Dan,

It's been awhile since I thought about this thread and when I get ready to do this again it will be about $200. When you bought a new one did you change to a different model or just replace the whole thing with a new one like what was in there?
If you got something different, what did you get and was it a drop in or did you need to modify anything.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 03-08-2012

Current price: $354.61 Midland (Haldex) DA34200
http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ry...18C677026AC0C9

Original air dryer: Midland Graw Air Pure Plus air dryer. Replacement is: Midland (Haldex) DA34200 (34200 replaces older 33200). See Bruces info at: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../Air%20Dryers/

I hired out the install along with a LOT of other work. I "think" it is a direct swap, perhaps relocating some lines a bit.