Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 5 Days Ago

Default 3D Printing

I was just wondering if anyone is experienced in 3D printing?
Since I'm changing from Penguins to Air Commander AC units the condensation drains don't line up I made my own little drain adapters out of heavy aluminum foil layered up a few times, but now I'm thinking to just make a design that plugs into the roof drain and just funnels the condensation from the AC to the drain. Real simple design, but Dometic doesn't make it. I was also thinking that using 3D printing could also allow us to replace some of those one-off Wanderlodge things. Shapeways can even print in steel now (probably not high strength though).

Figure if I make the design, I should share it then anyone can have them printed out. If anyone has designs for parts could you share those as well?
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 5 Days Ago

I have a printer and have made a few gizmos for my headlight buckets, among other things. Been a while since I’ve fired it up, but would like to have a reason to.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
Since I'm changing from Penguins to Air Commander AC units the condensation drains don't line up I made my own little drain adapters out of heavy aluminum foil layered up a few times, but now I'm thinking to just make a design that plugs into the roof drain and just funnels the condensation from the AC to the drain. Real simple design, but Dometic doesn't make it. I was also thinking that using 3D printing could also allow us to replace some of those one-off Wanderlodge things. Shapeways can even print in steel now (probably not high strength though).

Figure if I make the design, I should share it then anyone can have them printed out. If anyone has designs for parts could you share those as well?
Old 5 Days Ago

And 3D steel is real and pretty mechanically sound ( not steel infused plastic, sintered metal powder)
Old 5 Days Ago

How about the corner pieces in the screen door? The insert inside the main stiles and get screwed down to hold the corners together. I have half of one I was able to take out to see if anything was available.
1980 FC35RB
rotaryjohn.jt@gmail.com
Old 5 Days Ago
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleburgess View Post
I have a printer and have made a few gizmos for my headlight buckets, among other things. Been a while since I’ve fired it up, but would like to have a reason to.

Paul
It sounds like Paul has you covered. My 3-D printer can only print up to 5.5” X 5.5” size parts so if a part needs to be over 5.5” in any axis I can’t print it. I only print with PLA filament (Polylactic Acid) and ABS filament. The PLA is easy to work with but parts made from it can begin to distort at about 140 degrees F. On the other hand, ABS is harder (for me at least) to work with because it distorts as it cools so it’s harder to hold close dimensional tolerances but it’s good for about 208 degrees F.

I use Sketchup to draw my 3D parts and then I run software to convert the drawing into G-code for the printer.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryjohn View Post
How about the corner pieces in the screen door? The insert inside the main stiles and get screwed down to hold the corners together. I have half of one I was able to take out to see if anything was available.
Probably can, need a model or a go-by part to reverse engineer. I dont have a screen door OR roof air.
Old 5 Days Ago

If you have something that is bigger than your printer, check out Shapeways. To me their prices are reasonable.
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 3 Days Ago
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryjohn View Post
I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, but Lowes/Home Depot has parts to make screen doors. I'm pretty sure I have seen corner inserts in plastic.

If you shop it around door manufacturers, they might know how to get replacements.

Start a screen door thread with pictures, I think lots of 'bird screen doors have been repaired. On mine, screws hold the screen frame to the door, and can go missing or get loose over time. The screwed on screen frame lends a lot of structural strength to the squareness of the door corners.

I found a broken weld on a screen door corner--not sure if it was a repair or factory weld, but that's another way to keep the corners tight.
Full-time in 2019