Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 07-04-2010

Default Toad Tail Light Wiring

Hi

I bought a new to me 08 Honda CRV to replace my jeep. The dealer has said not to tap into the tail lights in any way shape or form or the warrenty is void. Local RV shop said not to add extra sockets because of water leakage and the added heat will blow bulbs. He says use diodes. Another RV shop uses toggle switches to isolate the cars inputs when towing then switch back to normal.
Which is the best way to go. I like the toggle switch idea If I can hide the splices.
If af anyone is towing an 07 or new CRV how do the tow? Any problems to look for?

Henry
plese reply at
pasta553@comcast.net
Old 07-06-2010
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Default Honda CRV toad

Hi Henry,

We pull an 09 Honda CRV and so far we are very happy with it. The owner’s manual lists specific steps that Honda says must be followed to prevent transmission damage so we just follow the instructions to prepare it for towing each day before we start out. I can't say how well it will hold up long term but so far it's been working just fine. The CRV tows easy and we like driving it.

I’ve always just gone the diode route on my toads. I’ve used diodes on three toads spanning a little over 20 years (89 Jeep Cherokee, 99 Saturn SL2, 09 Honda CRV) with no toad light wiring related problems.

On my first two toads I used individual diodes in the light circuits. On the Honda I took the easy way out and installed the “Roadmaster Hy-Power diode” units that are made for this application.

The CRV was only a couple of weeks old at the time so I felt that adding the diodes was less invasive than drilling holes and adding extra light sockets but if you’re worried about it affecting the warranty then I guess separate light sockets may eliminate that concern.

Enjoy your CRV,
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 07-06-2010

What about the magnet lights the tow trucks use?
I tried to tap into the rear turn signals and tail lights on a 12 volt 47 #####'s jeep and without plugging it in, it burned out the head lights and turn signal fuse? Will a diode in-line stop this? I have no problems with my trailers. So should I just the magent lights?
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 07-06-2010
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bbird View Post
I use these and I have to say that I don't like them. They damage the paint. No....not where the lights are attached on the car - that area is fine. What happens is that you have to run a set of wires across the car and that causes damage from very light rubbing where the wires blow in the wind. Yes, it buffs right out fairly easily. But, if you take more than a couple of trips a year with a toad, it would be a problem pretty quickly. Fortunately, we don't take many trips where we tow the car (less than 1 per year).

It would be better to permanently attach some wiring to do this and maybe run connectors out the trunk or something like that to keep the wires off the car.
Marietta, GA
Old 07-06-2010
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bbird View Post
I tried to tap into the rear turn signals and tail lights on a 12 volt 47 #####'s jeep and without plugging it in, it burned out the head lights and turn signal fuse? Will a diode in-line stop this? I have no problems with my trailers. So should I just the magent lights?
Hi Mark,

I can’t tell from your description exactly what you did on your Jeep but diodes are designed to allow current to flow in only one direction so if the diodes are installed correctly they should prevent back feeding power from either vehicle into the other.

I don’t want to make diode installation sound too easy - it takes some planning and research to do it correctly. Depending on the way the lights work in both vehicles you can have situations such as the turn signals being supplied to the toad from the coach being overridden by the brake lights from the supplemental toad brakes, etc. if things are not thought out before hand.

This diagram from Roadmaster shows the basic wiring connections for one of their diode units.

Roadmaster’s support section has diagrams listed under “Wiring” that describe how to wire different systems.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/support/manuals.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Diode Wiring.jpg
Views:	5389
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	5752  
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 07-06-2010

Default honda crv towing

Thanks everyone, seems like most have had luck with the diodes. I called Roadmaster and the diodes will be here Friday. Saturday I should be ready to tow.

Thanks again
Henry