Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 06-26-2011

Rich, I bought a dolly and have towed it about a thousand miles so far. Not sure why all the negative comments about them going well for me so far. Towing four down might be great if you have a car dedicated for that purpose, but I don't. Plus I can move other cars around using the dolly with my truck. I think towing options are like engine oils, lots of different opinions, not just one right answer. Choose what works best for you.
VB 1570
Old 06-26-2011

I used a tow dolly for years with my SOB and the front wheel drive cars I owned at that time. My experience was good with mine. I even had electric brakes on the tow dolly. It worked very well for the purpose. I prefer four down toading as I do not have to deal with the tow dolly anymore. Sometime the dolly was a pain if I had to park in a small spot or needed to back in. It may have been a little extra work but I still have that dolly just in case and would use it again if the need arose.

Good luck.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 06-26-2011

It's pretty much the convenience or lack there of. I can hook and unhook the Honda in a couple minutes and I don't have a dolly to get out of my why. I admit that it's a rather minor deal but when I was looking it was very little difference in price to go with a dolly or get the equipment to flat tow. Only plus to the dolly as I see it is as Markus mentioned a dolly can allow easily the use of more then one car for toad application. That and of course if your existing car is not flat towable. Obviously either way works pretty well or there wouldn't be some of both on the road. I think for people that don't do a lot of traveling the dolly might be the best approach. If your into it a good bit then the convenience of the flat tow becomes more meaningful.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 06-26-2011
Got One

Thanks guys...I made a deal today on a Master-Tow heavy duty car dolly with extra replacement lights and a spare. I'm getting it from a fireman buddy of mine. He only used it a couple of times, so its pretty much brand new. To top it all off, its off white and blue so it'll match the Bird!!!...