Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 09-10-2008

Dennis,
The Roadmaster brackets they make for your Acura are the hidden style. They have a removable front section that esssentially eliminates any visual impact. You'll still need an electrical hookup, but you can often hide it quite well. So you can tow the Acura, not give up the Volvo and have the best of both worlds!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 09-10-2008

John,

I don't have an Acura; my 10 year old SUV is a Mercedes ML320.

Dennis
Old 09-10-2008

Dennis,
Sorry about that. I'm obviously getting you confused with another poster! Unfortunately they do not make brackets for you ML. They do make themfor a Smart, though. It's too bad, because the Mercedes automatics typically can be flat towed (or at least they used to be able to). They have a pump on the output shaft, so as long as the rear wheels are turning, the tranny was getting lubricated. Maybe it's worth looking into?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support

Last edited by fxdwg; 09-10-2008 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
Old 09-10-2008

Default Smart not toad?

It seemed silly to me, but my partner Deirdre has her heart set on a Wanderlodge modified to accomodate a Smart inside, toybox-style. Once we drove a Smart in Europe she was sold. I'm the engineer, I would have to make it work. I figured the bed could be pulled up to the ceiling, Safari Trek style, and maybe some weight (cabinets) would have to be removed and/or springs added to a 35' FC to make it practical. We are still Airstreamers (1971 25' Tradewind towed by a Tahoe) but refining the must-haves and would-be-nice features and it keeps coming back to a Wanderlodge. I agree that towing a Smart would be the sensible thing, but since when is any of this sensible?

While I'm here, anyone in central/northern Calif with a 33-35' FC they wouldn't mind showing us in detail? Are there any accurate drawings available of later FCs showing structure, or do I have to measure and make my own?

--
David Josephson
Santa Cruz, CA
Old 09-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I would like to find a stable (more than 2 wheels) gas powered vehicle that I could carry behind the BB but not tow; perhaps something that would ride on a platform mounted to the hitch. A golf cart type vehicle would be good, but I want it to be both gas and street legal. I do not need speed but I want the stability of more than a motorcycle or scooter as I want to carry my wife and dog; I don't contemplate going on interstates or freeways just secondary roads. Any suggestions on vehicles and the hitches/plateforms will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis
While at the Harley Run in Laughlin, NV last year, a guy was marketing a flat platform, center dual pivot wheels, double tongue (hitch), folded up to the back of the coach when not in use, folding trailer tongue lifts at each corner so it could be removed and moved around, would carry two Harley's, etc. He claimed you could run the fast lane and not be bothered by trailer towing laws. They are manufactured in Lake Havasu City, AZ. I'll try to find out more if you are interested. I believe they were selling in the 3 to 4 thousand dollar range.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 09-11-2008

Thanks Curt. I saw something yesterday on the Net similar to what you describe. It was called something like "swivel wheel" and could carry from 1,000 to 1,200 lbs. I believe they said it trails the vehicle backwards or forwards unlike a trailer.

Dennis
Old 12-02-2008

Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09qdiJPuxRc Unfortunately the comments are in French. But it could be the answer to your question.

Regards,
Ernst

Last edited by Ernst; 12-03-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2008
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Thanks John for your reply. I guess the reason is that I am not a big fan of towing; the extra length; the restrictions on which lane you can drive in; the speed limit restrictions etc. <snip>
Dennis
Dennis,

I notice you're from California (as I am). I find that pulling a toad is not difficult and only a couple of states (including CA) have onerous restrictions on speed (or lanes). Most of the states don't have lower speed limits if you're towing. (I've been cruising at 65-70 across Texas, NM, and AZ the past few days. I think Ohio or Indiana had a lower speed limit -- and a couple of the eastern states have 'brain dead' speed laws for all vehicles. The CA limit of 55 if you're towing is annoying -- but it ALSO applies to all vehicles with "3 or more axles" -- so if you're driving a PT ... they "gotcha" anyway.

Check with Remco to see if one of your already owned vehicles can be made tow-ready. I've been very happy towing my Toyota Camry these past couple of years.

===
On the road at Casa Grande, AZ (with Camry in tow).

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 12-02-2008
Senior

Dennis I know you want something like a trike, something light and maneuverable but you dont want to tow. I will offer this for what you just paid for the advise <smiling>. I want something that is easy to get around in, easy to park when we travel, not expensive, easy for my dog to get into (a 11 1/2 year old female rottie), and SAFE. I just bought a used 2005 Honda Element that has tons of room, is very easy for the dog to get into and lots of room in the back for her to get around in (the back seats fold up against the side walls), is very comfortable to drive and has polymer bumpers, fenders and sides so its hard to damage. This car was a dealer holdover and only has 9000 miles on it and it can be towed 4 down which is ideal. I got it with a complete 7 year 100,000 mile warranty certififed by Honda for $14,000. Its the only car we could find that is towable 4 down, and is easy for our dog to get in and out of and is comfortable to drive other then our Honda Odyssey which we didnt want to tow.

Have you thought of something like this? I have seen many Honda Elements used for $8-9000. http://www.edmunds.com/honda/element...archive.1.html
6V92
Old 12-03-2008

Piaggio also makes a trike scooter. Good for two, probably not the dog. There is a carrier that will carry the trike (MP3 and no not the tunes) that fits into a standard 2" hitch. The scooter is a bit pricy for the 400-500cc units and will do 80+. I like the idea, someone else I know thinks I'm nuts and so we have a car caddy 'cause she doesn't like all that stuff you have to put on the front of a car to two 4 down.