Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 09-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by konehd View Post

Any while Im asking any pros / cons on tow bars?
Im thinking of the blue ox system as the base plate looks the best and dosnt require removal of the front skid plate...

This is to tow a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Thanks, Joe
Howdy, Joe.
We use a Roadmaster "Stowmaster" tow bar. I bought that model because it is mostly stainless steel. The unit has stainless steel safety cables. It is 14 years old and is still in very good shape. We tow our 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with it.

Regards,
Jack
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 09-24-2008

Default Tow bar and brake system

I have the M G system on my bird. I figured that if Randy uses it and likes it, it must be good. Thanks Randy. As for the tow bar, I have the Blue ox folding bar mounted on my jeep wrangler. It looks actually very good and tough when it is folded and in its cover on my jeep bumper. It takes me a minute to hook or unhook, folding towbar allows so much room to play in, electric cord, air line, safety chains, done. I don't even know the jeep is there when i brake. I do have my rear camera on in order to see my jeep following us. When my jeep tried to pass me once in Alaska.. but thats another story.
I am very happy with my set-up.
Old 09-25-2008
Tommy Two Shoes

Air Force One is a totally different system from the SMI that Pete has. I had the same as Pete's and loved it but my Rubicon was stolen and I bought a 2008 Rubicon to replace it. When talking to SMI, they had come out with an air pressure (from the coach) system called Air Force One. It is proportional to how much braking you use in the coach since it ties into the same system.

M&G has an air pressure system but they could not sell it to me because its size could not be installed on the Jeep (too big to fit). I had the president of SMI spend a day at SWBB Quartzite Rally. This sytem is so small and clean that I had to show him where we had placed the device. It has a piston permanently connected to the Jeep brake pedal. All I have to do is hook up the air hose in addition to the breakaway and electrical that I had with the older system. Their patented device that hooks into the coach air system prevents any breaching of system integrity. It looks like SMI got this one right.

Tommy 'Two Shoes' McCarthy

GoneAway
2006 M450LXI
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe in the Carson Valley
Old 03-10-2013

Default M&G Tow bar?? anybody using???

Will be getting a new toad during the summer and will be selling our 2005 CRV when we return from our western trek starting very soon. Am considering the M&G braking system (which we have on our CRV and love) along with the M&G tow bar which can be a backable system depending on taod caster and other.
Very happy with our Blue Ox tow bar, etc., but intrigued by the M&G system.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Ed & Carolyn Nowokunski
95BMC37 - Thunderchief
The Great Outdoors (TGO)
Titusville, Florida
Old 03-10-2013
Forum owner

Ed,i don't think that M&G makes a tow bar anymore.
They still make the braking system,but i thought they sold the tow bar to a competitor that has discontinued it.

Having said that,i had their tow bar for many years,it works well.
Mine burned up on my 95WB that burned.
The braking system is a great product too.
Tell Leon hello for me.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-11-2013

I am researching auxiliary braking systems, to replace my failing EvenBrake. My toad is a Chevy K3500 Ext Cab Long Box SRW '04 Silverado, weighing ~8,000 lbs. The two candidate systems are the SMI Air Force One and the M & G system.

The SMI unit has a buffering system to prevent problems with the toad system from affecting the coach braking. However, the brake pedal cable system gives me concern. It also draws some air from the coach to create vacuum for the booster.

The M & G system, which goes between the vacuum assist and the master cylinder, seems more robust, but this has nothing to prevent a toad system failure from affecting the coach brakes. From the M & G FAQ:

Quote:
3. What if the air line develops a leak?
Air will only be present or leak while the coach brake pedal is applied. The 1/4" OD air line will not loose enough air pressure to affect the brakes on coach. The compressor puts in much more air than what is lost.
...and from the installation article:

Quote:
You simply tap into one of the brake service lines at the rear axle with a tee fitting, then run the extra nylon line to the rear of the coach where you install a quick disconnect coupling. Tapping into this line is no different than feeding a tag axle. In the event of a failure the brake system's isolating valves would still give you 3 wheels worth of braking and the air pressure loss by a severed line would be very minimal because it's the service line, not the "hot" emergency line.
It is not clear to me that the old compressor on our units could 'keep up' or that 'three wheel' braking would be acceptable. Also, what is the 'hot emergency' line?

Those who have these systems must have considered these issues? How did you choose the one you did buy?

M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 'Sleipnir'
currently near Livingston, TX
Old 03-11-2013
Administrator

Towing & brake systems are a personal choice. There are many threads on this debate.
We have used M&G for years with no air leaks. It works great , & it is simple.
There are 100's of feet of air lines numerous connections & air valves etc. on our Birds.
One more connection to the brake system if installed correctly will not add to the compressor work load.
Check the compatibility information.
http://www.m-gengineering.com/Compatibility.html
Ask Leon for a rebuilt unit.
Old 03-11-2013

Randy,
Thanks re. M&G tow bar - - - or should I say "Ratz"?

Ed & Carolyn Nowokunski
95BMC37 - Thunderchief
The Great Outdoors (TGO)
Titusville, Florida
Old 03-11-2013
Forum owner

MR Kane.
On the tag axle coachs i tap into the tag axle brake chambers for my air supply to the toad.
On the brake chambers there is always an extra port thats plugged and not used.
Take that plug out and srew the adapter in that hole and hook the hose to the adapter.

The hose going to the toad is 1/4'' OD,so the ID is very small.
The air pressure going to the brake chambers is below 30lbs max,so if you have 30lbs of air going through a 1/4'' line your not loosing much air.

I have used the M&G for 20 years or more,the same unit has been on 5-6 toads,i have never had an issue or problem.
Leon builds a high quality brake,i think he invented the tow brake.
He has been around with this item for many,many years.

For simplicity and quality and for a brake that works,time after time,the only choice is M&G.

A cable system might work,if the engine,grill,bumper and all the other components in the front of the toad were removed.
Theres just too many things for the cable to bind on for that system to work properly.
Remember way back when cars had mechanical brakes,model A's and all those old cars?
How many cars today have mechanical brakes?
Even the old model A's have been converted to "juice" brakes these days.
Hah! funny story,as a kid i had a model A truck,no brakes to speak of (mechanical brakes,remember),i always had the bed of the truck loaded up with other kids,we had a concrete block tied to a rope that we threw out of the truck,when we needed brakes!
I was maybe 13 YO.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-11-2013
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudpilot1 View Post
Randy,
Thanks re. M&G tow bar - - - or should I say "Ratz"?
Butch here on WOG uses the M&G tow bar,and i think i can rebuild mine,that would be a good project for some WOGgers that are hanging out here!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com