Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 03-11-2013

? I am in need of a braking system, with the M&G system does it work with a trailer with electric brakes. Seems like you need more items to hook up or not possible. At this time I only would tow a car but who knows with time. Thanks Don
Old 03-11-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coville View Post
? I am in need of a braking system, with the M&G system does it work with a trailer with electric brakes. Seems like you need more items to hook up or not possible. At this time I only would tow a car but who knows with time. Thanks Don
M&G is used with an air brake system and must be compatible with the tow car.
It is not electric.

http://www.m-gengineering.com/
Old 03-11-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coville View Post
So Bill Pape It will not work for a trailer... M&G System
Nope don't think it will work out for electric trailer brakes.
Old 03-11-2013

This is a complex subject and therefore open to some differences of option.

My suggestion is to go with the advice of those with the most experience. My interpretation of that is Randy's suggestion of the M&G system. My only concern with the M&G is for the individual who tows more then one vehicle or changes toads frequently.

My experience has been mixed. I've had some damage done to the brakes on my towed cars mostly due to my inexperience. You dance a fine line between the systems stopping the towed cars and applying too much force resulting in the towed car helping to stop the motorhome. What ever system you decide is best for you avoid that at all costs.

Right now I am towing a Geo Tracker with no supplemental braking other then an emergency break away system from Night Shift Auto. I have a Road master system which I can easily install on the Tracker but I just don't see the need to "mess" with it. Any vehicle larger then the tracker and I would use a supplemental system.

I am not suggesting this is the right way or suggesting you do the same but I feel comfortable with my decision.

I do occasionally tow a Tahoe and I have and will continue to use the Road Master system which is I think is similar in it's design to the M&G but is readily transfered one vehicle to the next.

Lots to consider. I'd go with the M&G unless you are like me and change vehicles frequently. If you do perhaps the brake buddy systems or the road master is worth considering.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 03-11-2013

If you buy a trailer with electrical brakes, you will need a electric brake controller. Air systems interface with the on board hydraulic brakes of a toad with a air piston of one type or another. Right Bill?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-11-2013

I installed the M&G system in our 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JK) last Fall and am glad I did. Without a doubt, this is the best braking system I have ever had. One simple air line from the coach and you get true proportional air over hydraulic braking on the towed vehicle. No battery draw, works perfectly all the time. Installation takes a bit longer than some others and it is not easily transferred to another vehicle. We tend to not change towed vehicles too often so this is the best for us.
Old 03-11-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
If you buy a trailer with electrical brakes, you will need a electric brake controller. Air systems interface with the on board hydraulic brakes of a toad with a air piston of one type or another. Right Bill?
I am not the expert with all brake systems, But I think both HeckMan & Rick are correct.
M&G is an air brake system that actuates the toad brake system, with an air piston. M&G is car specific, this is the reason to check for compatibility, It may not have the ability to transfer car to car.
Electric trailer brakes are a different electrical system, therefore a need for a trailer electric brake actuating system.
We need input from the trailer towing Guys. Two differing systems.
M&G is an easy one time install. But changing it car to car to car is not convenient.
Old 03-11-2013

Trailer brakes are electrical often using a separate battery carried on the trailer and triggered by an inertia system which comes in various forms. The utility type trailers typically uses a mechanism on the trailer frame to activate the brakes. The travel trailers and fifth wheels use brake controls which are mounted in or around the dash on the towing vehicle. These systems are a subject on to themselves.

To the best of my knowledge there is no system which adapts from trailer towing (either utility or RV) and flat towing of a vehicle.

Now if you would use a tow DOLLY then that's a different story. The tow dolly's do use electrical systems because and I guess they are a type of a trailer.

If I was expecting to tow an enclose trailer of some size and also a car(not at the same time of course) I would then think a dolly might be that way to go rather then having two different braking systems.

This just goes to show how different each individuals requirements might be. No system does it all.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 03-11-2013
Gardner

I ended up choosing the SMI system over the M&G due to the requirement to move the fuse panel assembly in my Jeep. The M&G is inserted between the master cylinder and the original mount which moves the cylinder a few inches forward. I don't want to mess with the original 12 volt distribution system in the Jeep. The SMI required no modification to the car. The M&G is a great system, but check the installation requirements for your particular vehicle before making a decision.

The SMI generates a vacuum for the cars brake system and therefore the cylinder that activates the brake pedal is small and can be permanently mounted under the dash on the brake pedal arm. All I need to do is connect the air line and breakaway (breakaway is integral with the unit, not an optional extra) and it is ready to go.

They have an isolation system that is installed on the coach. It has it's own brake valve and small storage tank. I understand it reduces the effects of a leak in the lines between the coach and toad. But it ain't so easy on the wallet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SMI-CoachEnd (412 x 275).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	20654  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 03-11-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2013
Geek

I wanted an M&G back in 2003, but it wouldn't fit the car I towed at the time (Hyundai Santa Fe). As can be seen if you read back through this thread that is a common complaint about M&G and is essentially the only complaint. If it will fit the toad, and there is no worry about it fitting a future toad, M&G is as good as it gets.

The Air Force One will fit anything, and is equally good. I only used one for the past year, but man was I happy about not having to mess with a brake buddy after 10 years!

I chose not to remove it from Blue Thunder when sold, so I will have to buy the coach parts and have them installed on the next one.

While there are a lot of differences in the way the M&G and SMI AFO operate I don't think there is any functional difference in braking.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1