Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 08-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairodice View Post
Shaaksma, get the Currie towbar base plate - it is awesome! Easy install (for me) and works great on my Rubicon! I love it - Amazon has it for $234 - cheap too! plus it works as a front protector plate for scraping over rocks!

Did you do the tow bar too? the whole package for $350.

Back to wanna be status
Old 08-14-2015

A four door wrangler is a pretty large car. Similar to my Tahoe. Don't chince on equipment . From my experience there is a world of difference between towing a Spark and a Tahoe. I paid $13000 out the door for the Spark and I use it for my daily run around car. I like the Fiat better but the Soark is four doors and considerably cheaper. Go drive a spark you might end up keeping the VW and buying a Spark for less then you would spend trading the VW on a Wrangler. The new Subaru has a continuously variable transmission and I don't think they are flat towable. Same with the new Honda CRV. Progress???

YOU DO HAVE TO HAVE A MANUAL IN THE SPARK OR THE FIAT JUST SO THATS CLEAR

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 08-14-2015

I checked on the CRV and HRV last weekend. You're correct, no more towing Hondas. I'm also kicking around the Colorado. 30mpg diesel available this fall, albeit $38K. Anyone towing a newer Colorado/Canyon?

No hurry, just want to take full advantage of Wanderlodge vacations.

Progress? The Honda CRX got almost 50mpg in 87'. The Honda DelSol over 100hp per liter in 1992ish. No progress, 30 year dry spell.

Back to wanna be status
Old 08-15-2015

How many factory Owner Manuals specifically mention "Motorhomes" and say "Vehicles equipped with manual transmissions may be recreationally towed (flat towed) at any legal highway speed, for any distance, if the manual transmission is in NEUTRAL"? Not many I would bet. It's a good thing I only drive my bird/toad combo at legal highway speeds!

A 30 mpg diesel Colorado would be nice but 40+ mpg & $25G's in your pocket is better

Ref - Page 43, 2013 Fiat 500 Pop Owners Manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	37315  
Old 08-15-2015

Just a comment here. For versatility in a toad I really like a Jeep. Properly equipped they tow great and are great for a variety of activities. Really nice to have a 4x4 in bad weather or for off road excursions. Just my opinion.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 08-15-2015
prone to wandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaaksma View Post
I checked on the CRV and HRV last weekend. You're correct, no more towing Hondas. I'm also kicking around the Colorado. 30mpg diesel available this fall, albeit $38K. Anyone towing a newer Colorado/Canyon?

No hurry, just want to take full advantage of Wanderlodge vacations.

Progress? The Honda CRX got almost 50mpg in 87'. The Honda DelSol over 100hp per liter in 1992ish. No progress, 30 year dry spell.
Keep the VW, $2k will buy you an open trailer with brakes that the VW will fit on
Put a hitch on the VW and you can use it to move the trailer around the CG if you don't have a drive through site
JMHO
jimdoel@me.com