Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 05-09-2009
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

"QUOTE=Bill Pape;19506]With air up the Tow bar is level,"

The Blue Ox Aventa LX specifies the tow bar must be within 4" of level between the coach and the toad. I installed a Roadmaster Dual adapter with 2" and 4" offsets. For the Honda Civic, I have it flipped 4" down. When aired up it is pretty much level. The upper receiver is for the bike rack. Photo taken befor I realized my safety cables should be crossed beneath the tow bar (thanks Tom). I also got some 2-ton shackles for the safety cables coach side.

I am told that I should get something to protect the toad from rocks and other road debris. I traveled to Q with Shane in January. While there, we installed a Protect-A- Tow.< http://protectatow.tripod.com/ > This unit seems to do the trick and rolls up to store in a small space. It is also less costly than many others. Shane, care to comment?

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toad 2006 Civic and Blue Ox Aventa LX 5-09 011 (Large).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1839  
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 05-09-2009
freight train

Wink

Ron;
I have been towing a truck for the last 20 years, my choose of tow bars have been road master(mainly because where they are made) with no problems. Braking system has always be M&G if you trade tow cars you can trade the one off you old cars for the one that fixes your new car. I have all ways leaned towards having diodes in the tail light system. I like the tow car to look clean when not being towed,so I try to conceal the air and elec cables plug ins. Have fun. Bob
gregg@tfon.com
Port Angeles, WA
Old 01-02-2010

Smile front receiver hitch

Thank's John, message received.
Retired
Fulltimer
Old 01-02-2010

Unless something has changed since '01 with a Jeep GC there is no need to hook into its light system. Jeep has a separate hole for a light socket built into the tailight assembly. All you have to do is run your wires back to the taillights, install the proper socket (get one at any auto parts store), put in the bulbs and wire it up. I hooked up my '99 and '01 Jeep GC this way.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 01-03-2010

Ron, I recently modifyed my car (not a Jeep) to be a Toad and I purchased everything from Night Shift Auto you can search on the Web for their web site and then call and speak to the owner about your needs. His equipment is first class and his breaking system is the odd ball unique one on the market; it is decidedly low tech; essentially a cable that pulls the brake peddle down when the towed car surges foward; cheap, simple and it works. To be honest I had a problem properly adjusting the cable when I first used it and my brakes dragged and it cost me $1,800 for new brakes, but I should have tested the adjustment on a shorter tow. Since then however I have towed it all over the place without a problem.

Dennis