Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-04-2011

Christian, Having just read this post I will make a comment for your consideration. It's just my opinion and take it for what it's worth to you. I think what you are considering is pushing the limit on several levels. Consider that you are new to this stuff. John Finn spent his life around heavy equipment and has years of experience. You are starting out. If you go with a 24 ft trailer and the length and weight you are talking about everything has to be just right or you are risking all manor of trouble. I personally wouldn't put my coach or my self in that position even now having owned a BB for three years. I am amazed at what John can do with that rig of his (I've followed and traveled with him on several occasions so it can be done) but I think you should get some time with your coach and consider long and hard if this is the right direction for you. I have always been pretty conservative about what I tow. You don't know you have too much until the fat hits the fire.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-04-2011

Default 1 ton chevy van

3 years ago, I had a trailer made for my van. I haul a lot of tools for flooring jobs, so it had to have some muscle to it. I don't have a shop to work out of and have been contemplating an enclosed trailer large enough to put the van and maybe have a little storage. A stacker would be nice as it would be tall enough- but pricey. When I was on my last trip, I could have used the shelter to work out of.
Ernie- looking
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 02-04-2011

Trailer towing is a good option for FC's, it greatly increases the storage space with little down side. FC's are well equipped to tow, especially air ride FC's as the ride height never changes. Towing never altered our mileage significantly nor did it really effect our power, granted we have a 250 turbo so the blower would pick up a lot of the slack. Backing is great with a FC and once I got the hang of it I could put the trailer almost anywhere. Really consider what you need so you don't end up buying it twice. Aluminum fenders are spec'd on your buy sheet, how wide is this trailer? Ours had no room for fenders outside the box, just a rubber flair same as the bus. How much more does it cost to build as tall as the bus? I never understood how I missed that... How much is too much? The Donut Wagon I have to believe is way heavier than anything discussed in this thread.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 02-04-2011
Timberlake Products Group

Craigs list is a good place to shop for used deals. There are limits to the towing capacity of any vehicle (legal) I believe my 83 FC has a max towing capacity of 7500 pounds and a maximum tongue weight of 500 pounds? A custom built trailer works too. I did a beauty for under 12K$$$. 8.5' X 8.5' X 22'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_4265.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	8654  

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 02-04-2011

Ryan, is your trailer 8.5 tall inside?
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 02-04-2011
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
Trailer towing is a good option for FC's, it greatly increases the storage space with little down side. FC's are well equipped to tow, especially air ride FC's as the ride height never changes.
Now Crit, I have to disagree with you on that comment.

Air buss height changes drastically all the time. It has a dumped height and a ride height. I'm curious if you have a load leveler hitch how much stress is added when you air down with the trailer still attached? You can't unhook the trailer everytime you stop? And I believe air ride has more travel over bumbs than springs.

On the other hand, a spring bus NEVER changes. It may drop down 3/4-1" when first coupled but that is it. The spring rates won't let it drop any more. You're only suppose to put 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue. So with my 5000 lb trailer that's only 500 lbs. My length sets at 60' when loaded.

When I hook up my 20' car hauler I use the deflection to adjust my load. My brother and I would sand on the tongue (over 500lbs combined) and measure the hitch deflection. Then I would load up the vehicle until I reached that deflection and stop. I call it the poor man's scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0210001801.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	8655  
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 02-04-2011
Forum owner

If any of you are shopping for an enclose trailer to haul a van make sure the van will go in the back door,vans are tall and wide,make sure you can get the mirrors in the trailer(still on the doors would be nice!)
My astro van with the conversion top will not go in my trailer.
I have a stacker for sale that a suburban will barely go in,the door height is too low for a van.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-04-2011
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Ekberg View Post
Ryan, is your trailer 8.5 tall inside?
Yes Ernie

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 02-04-2011

Michael, the ride height is the same regardless of the load, that's what the ride height valves do. Air down is for parking not driving, so what ever the load the suspension geometry stays the same. Load leveling hitches with a commercial vehicle is not needed and can crack the frame on the trailer side. We never weighed our trailer, our only precaution was to have our welder beef up the hitch framing on the advice of BB.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 02-04-2011
Forum owner

No way would i ever use a load leveler hitch,thats a bandaid for too small of a tow rig.
I would use a pintle hitch if i was building a new trailer,my big stacker has the pintle hitch.
Use a pintle hitch,8 lug wheels and 16'' tires (my stacker has 19.5 wheels).

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com