Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-11-2019

Thanks for info.

Tony Welch
Madison, Virginia
1986 PT 36
1986 23ft Travelmaster
mctireman@gmail.com
540-718-3392
Old 01-11-2019

Somewhere I thought I read that 1997 and older diesel "house cars" (motorhomes) were exempt from emissions testing in California. That appears to be wrong, or was it changed at some time??? Maybe that is, or was, for my county of residence?? I also thought the mechanical engines were not affected as there was no computer to monitor or control fuel flow. Clearly things are different now.

Interesting things I learn via this forum.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 01-11-2019
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
Somewhere I thought I read that 1997 and older diesel "house cars" (motorhomes) were exempt from emissions testing in California. That appears to be wrong
That is not wrong. The DMV site says that 1997 and older diesel are exempt, and newer are exempt if over 14,000 GVWR.

The primary point was that this is for personal, and when you use a Montana LLC to avoid taxes, or otherwise have the vehicle registered for commercial, that is the big deal.

Personal RVs are rarely pulled over in California, and that is common in most states. Don't want to upset the tourists. Montana plates could be a problem, but the two things they are death on in California is the 65 foot total limit, and double-towing.

In our extensive travels in 49 states we have been pulled over once, and that was in Florida to let me know the lift window on my toad was open. And I have been known to have a lead foot, including towing in California where the 55 limit applies.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...dmv/vr/smogfaq
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 01-11-2019
Black Sheep Division

So anyone who has a vehicle registered in a Montana LLC is subject to be pulled over and investigated in California? Meaning they want to prosecute you if they "determine" you are trying to avoid taxes, even though you do not live in California. Correct?

TOM
Old 01-11-2019
Geek

While they might report you to your domicile state, there would be no California law they could use you against you in terms of the registration. The point was that they could, and perhaps would, require that you follow commercial rules if you have LLC registration. That includes smog rules.
Old 01-11-2019
"Master Of None"

The California DMV has nothing to do with it. Commercial diesel vehicles also require registration with the cal epa CARB. Personal use vehicles are exempt from CARB registration but are subject to smoke limits. The DMV can issue a registration but CARB can deny use. Annual tests and records are only required for fleets of two engines or more. Spot smoke tests are requested when a fix it ticket is written and after repairs are made. We dont like to do the retests unless it is in our customers fleet
We get a statement signed when selling a diesel truck. It is required and fines are steep. RB auction's paid millions for failing to make thes notices.
Any person residing in California selling a vehicle with an engine subject to this regulation must provide the following disclosure in writing to the buyer on the bill of sale, sales contract addendum, or invoice, “An on-road heavy-duty diesel or alternative-diesel vehicle operated in California may be subject to the California Air Resources Board Regulation to Reduce Particulate Matter and Criteria Pollutant Emissions from In-Use Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles. It therefore could be subject to exhaust retrofit or accelerated turnover requirements to reduce emissions of air pollutants. For more information, please visit the California Air Resources Board website at http://www.arb.ca.gov/dieseltruck.”
a SOB with a LXi

Last edited by GregOC; 01-11-2019 at 01:00 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-11-2019
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOC View Post
Personal use vehicles are exempt from CARB registration
In the context of this thread and the questions asked, that is the important statement. Yes, if the vehicle produces a lot of visible smoke that may trigger issues outside of smog control, but that is different from a smog test requirement in general.
Old 01-11-2019
Black Sheep Division

I think I'll just stay out. I didn't like it when I was driving truck and see no reason to change my mind. By the time I'm able to make the trip my grand son will probably have been transferred anyway.

TOM

Last edited by Dieselbird01; 01-12-2019 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Wanderlodge Owners Group Guidelines
Old 01-11-2019
"Master Of None"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
I think I'll just stay out. I didn't like it when I was driving truck and see no reason to change my mind. By the time I'm able to make the trip my grand son will probably have been transferred anyway.

TOM
Yet another perk of strict environmental laws.
a SOB with a LXi
Old 01-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post

TOM
I bought my Bird from someone in CA it spent a good portion of its life there and sometimes it smokes a bit, I don’t think it’s that big a issue I’d drive CA.)