Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Coaches For Sale by WOG Members

Coaches For Sale by WOG Members Coaches WOG members have for sale along with a short description. New rules for selling coaches May 1, 2019

Site Search:

Old 04-02-2012

Default Cost new?

I was recently going over an ad for a coach. The owner mentioned it cost $90,000 new. It is a 1979. Just for discussions sake I found a constant dollar calculator, and plugged in the numbers.

http://146.142.4.24/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Came out to $282,286.00.......now I know there are many factors (including the calculation based on CPI.

But are any new MH's being built at this price? If they tried to recreate the 1979 Bird, with all the simpler features, would it be possible to do it for a price like this?

Open for discussion.

I posted here as it has to do with cost, price, value etc.

Capt. Jack
Author: "You Can't Make This Stuff Up"
My Thirty years as Captain in the Bering Sea
Old 04-02-2012

Mine at 180,000 in 1982 came out at 424,656.37 I don't think that included tax. Crazy
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 04-02-2012

Just don't seem that long ago. In 1979 my friend bought 5 acres with a house over the ocean in Oregon for $110,000, and it sounded like a million to me!

Capt. Jack
Author: "You Can't Make This Stuff Up"
My Thirty years as Captain in the Bering Sea
Old 04-03-2012
Got One

Everything sounds like a million these dayz..
Old 04-03-2012
Itchintogo

The calculator uses a very simple CPI for adjustment. Recently for example, some Governments have taken oil and gas out of the CPI figures at times so it "looks" better to the average joe. But ya'll have felt that pinch right?

So in short, using CPI is not an accurate means to calculate 1979 dollars into 2012 dollars. There are many "baskets" of goods and also many "baskets" of labour classes that go into a Bird.

We have seen new market trends over the last 10 years and particularly over the last 5 years. Ever noticed the price you pay at the pump is not really connected to the price of a barrel of oil anymore? These are some reasons why you are seeing discrepancies.
Old 04-03-2012
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlercap View Post
But are any new MH's being built at this price? If they tried to recreate the 1979 Bird, with all the simpler features, would it be possible to do it for a price like this?
The first part is certainly a yes, but in the $250K range you will not get simpler features - you will get a lot of glitz and electronics, plus 4 slides, with tons of shortcuts to keep the rest of the costs down.

It might be possible to produce a strong, simple coach for $250K with steel everywhere and no slides, but you couldn't sell it.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 04-03-2012
prone to wandering

I got a copy of the original invoice with my 2001 LX 40 slideout, suggested retail was $601,506.00.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 04-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
Everything sounds like a million these dayz..
As Senator Everett Dirksen said many years ago " a million here, a million there and pretty soon your talking real money."
"The Aviary"
Old 04-03-2012
Former Bird Owner

Having actually worked with "inflation cost escalators" in contracts (back in the early 1980s) I can say with absolute certainty that there are no "exact" cost deflators that work well with every product. The linked web site simply stated that $ "x" in (insert) year would have the same "buying power" as $ "y" in (choose) year.

Inflation calculations do not ever consider "quality improvements" -- that is a car priced for 1950 does not include an air conditioner in a car priced for 2012, since the original car did not have AC but a new care (almost always) does -- but that is a "quality improvement."

So, when the list price of my '95 is quoted as $525,000 and the "buying power" today is shown as $784,272.15 that does not mean that the 1995 vehicle could be replicated for that amount today. There are some manufacturing processes that have made the build more economical and there are others that have added costs. And finally, there are "qualitative improvements" (regardless of how you might feel about them) that aren't counted at all.

So, such calculators are, essentially, a curiosity with a very generalized result. However, the calculator does show that today's dollar is only worth 4 cents compared to a dollar in 1913, when the Federal Reserve was created. Since the creation of the Federal Reserve we have documented significant inflation. In the 100 years prior to the Federal Reserve, the price of gold was $19 in 1810 and was $21 in 1912. The range in the price of gold during that whole period ran from $19 to $30 (during the Civil War) and was mostly in the range of $21 to $23. The amount of inflation during the period prior to the creation of the Federal Reserve was practically zero. Obviously the dollar today only buys about 1/1650th of an ounce of gold (priced at about $1650 per ounce). The facts speak for themselves.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 04-03-2012
Geek

Example of using statistics to prove an author's pre-conceived notion. You can't use a commodity that had official fixed prices until 1971 (and very little inflation until then) to explain anything from 1912.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1