Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 10-14-2015
Chuck

Default bigfoot leveling wireing and plumbing

I am looking for wiring diagrams and plumbing diagrams for the big foot leveling system in my 2004 M-380. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-14-2015

Don't think you will find anything about the plumbing in Bluebird info. The Bigfoot units are self contained. 4 separate pumps and jacks. Google Bigfoot and see what is on their site.

I will check and see if I have anything on the wiring.
Old 10-14-2015

Charles,

Check out. Thebigfootleveler.com.
Old 10-14-2015
Forum owner

I may have a few pumps and jacks.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-16-2015
Chuck

I have been to the big foot site and called them.. Nice people and helpful, even sent me some wiring info but not for the bird. I also got a diff number for a diff tech but want to be prepared when I call him. I don't think the problem is in the pump as a pump runs when I turn it on its just that nothing else happens. No down, no up and no load on the one motor I hear running. The big 125 amp fuse was blown but has been replaced.
Old 10-16-2015
Chuck

Could you post a picture of the pump so I know what to look for? I don't think I need one but may before I am done. TIA
Old 10-16-2015

Default Bigfoot Jacks

Charles, I am not sure what problems you are having. Basic trouble shooting is pretty easy, the attached copy of the Bigfoot installation manual includes some trouble shooting info.

As Jim mentioned, the system is essentially four Parker hydraulic power units that are individually driving a leveling jack. Each HPU has a 12 VDC motor driving a bi-directional hydraulic pump. Two solenoids control the direction the motor rotates, the hydraulic flow and cylinder extension/retraction. There are no traditional hydraulic control valves that can be manually operated.

Check your fluid levels before testing. As long as your main fuse is good and you have power at each bus bar, you can manually test each hydraulic power unit using a jumper wire from the solenoid bus bar to the solenoid control terminals. If the motor runs in both directions, the reservoir is full and the cylinder is not moving, the problem is likely within the HPU. You could have an internal leak across the cylinder's piston seal but the cylinder would still extend as the rod is forced out of the barrel.

If manual testing proves each HPU works, then the controller is likely to be the source of the problem. Working on that requires an expert. My control system when down in 2011. It was several months before I could get to Parliament to replace the controller behind the instrument panel as well as the control console and the wiring harness. During the interim, I rigged up a manual control that plugged into the solenoid control wire bundle. My control doesn't automatically level the coach or have the all up signal lamp or jack down alarm but it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parker leveling jack HPU.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	38516   Click image for larger version

Name:	manual control photo.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	38517  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf systeminstallationmanual.pdf (496.5 KB, 106 views)
Old 10-18-2015
Chuck

The problem is it worked fine. then I had the shocks replaced and the shop had me lift the bird so they could get under it. So I put the controller in manual and lifted the bird. When they were done I lifted the levelers but the all up light never came on. I checked and all jacks were all the way up so went home. The next time I tried to lower the jacks nothing happened. After checking I found the 125 amp fuse bad and replaced it. Now when I turn the system on there is a noise that sounds like one pump, as I am hard of hearing I guess it could be four but either way nothing else happens. None of the jacks come down any and after a few minutes the pump stops. So not knowing any better I assumed there was only one pump. So where are the 4 pumps and controllers located? Also with the above info do you think maybe there is a control fuse bad and if yes where would I find it in a M380? I went though the info on the big foot site but that didn't help.
Old 10-18-2015

Charles, Since the problem started after replacing the rear shocks, I would start checking the sensor wiring at the rear jacks which tells the controller the jacks are up. The manual also suggests you check your sensor ground wires and grounding points which are frequently the source of electrical problems. My first guess would be that a wire has been damaged or disconnected. It is also possible that one of the sensors is misaligned or stuck.

I am wondering when you restarted the system and the controller didn't see the all up signal if it tried to raise the jacks until the system timed out or the 125A fuse blew.

It is possible that you only heard one HPU running as the controller operates them in sequence. The two HPU for the rear jacks are located in the bay just ahead of the rear axle. You will find them near the curb side hatch mounted on the rear bay wall under the waste water tanks. The HPU for the front jacks are tucked up into the front suspension structure. As I recall there is one on the curb side and one of the road side. Each HPU has a black plastic cover held in place by a couple of sheet metal screws.

Does you jack control system run through the 30 second self-diagnostic check? The jack control system consists of two components, the panel with the switches/indicator lamps and the leveling control. This second component is physically located behind the main instrument panel (shown in section 2-1.1 of the owners manual) where it is mounted to the M380 frame. I am not really certain where the power for the control system originates but the diagram for the Front Load Center shown in the owner's manual page 4-4-11 shows two 7.5A fuses labeled "Level Sys". One is in the left column labeled Ignition 1 and the other in the fourth column from the left labeled Battery 3. The manual page 4-7-3 also says there is a fuse on the back of the control panel.

Doc Williams has done some jack trouble shooting and may be able to offer some other suggestions.

Let us know how your trouble shooting progresses.
Old 10-19-2015

If I may commit a minor hijack here, does each HPU have it's own fluid fill port or is there a central fill reservoir?
2019 Renegade Verona LE 40 LTS Super C