Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!!

!!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! Listed here you will find the MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS that we feel should be performed on your 'Bird. (ONLY ADMINISTRATORS CAN POST HERE)

Site Search:

Old 11-20-2012

Question Maintenance Classes/Video's/Pictures

Just being around a little while, but reading the postings everyday, it seems like we have a lot of new younger members as well as folks (like me) that this is their first BB. There seems to be a rather steep learning curve and a lot of things have to be learned rather quickly in order to get a maintenance schedule started.
My idea is to maybe have seminars at the different rally's to show basic maintenance as well as suggestions on modifications to the buses. While still pictures are great (and appreciate all the work that has gone into the reference section), has anybody thought about..perhaps..making recordings of the various maintenance areas and, either posting them online (youtube) or making them available to members???? Nothing fancy but just things like changing the different filters, bearing/brake maintenance, water tank conditioning, etc, etc.
Just a thought. The "older" and much wiser members are getting up there in age and don't want to lose this institutional knowledge to become lost. We intend to keep these birds up and running into the 22nd Century...
Give me your ideas..am I barking up the wrong tree or is this an idea that we might think about exploring.
Sorry for being so long winded.
Regards from Iraq (6 days left)
<Dennie...aka Padre>
Republic of Texas
Amateur Radio (KC4QNW) - General Class
"When you change yourself, others will change"
Old 11-20-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
Just being around a little while, but reading the postings everyday, it seems like we have a lot of new younger members as well as folks (like me) that this is their first BB. There seems to be a rather steep learning curve and a lot of things have to be learned rather quickly in order to get a maintenance schedule started.
My idea is to maybe have seminars at the different rally's to show basic maintenance as well as suggestions on modifications to the buses. While still pictures are great (and appreciate all the work that has gone into the reference section), has anybody thought about..perhaps..making recordings of the various maintenance areas and, either posting them online (youtube) or making them available to members???? Nothing fancy but just things like changing the different filters, bearing/brake maintenance, water tank conditioning, etc, etc.
Just a thought. The "older" and much wiser members are getting up there in age and don't want to lose this institutional knowledge to become lost. We intend to keep these birds up and running into the 22nd Century...
Give me your ideas..am I barking up the wrong tree or is this an idea that we might think about exploring.
Sorry for being so long winded.
Regards from Iraq (6 days left)
<Dennie...aka Padre>
Dennie,

That is an excellent idea and we already have a place for those threads and posts in this sub-forum, so if anybody has any suggestions of previous posts or threads please post the url link to them here and I'll copy or move them over, I can't do it with the just the subject title, please help me do some of the leg work. Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! > Maintenance Classes/Video's/Pictures

Dennie, as far as your being long winded.......................you had better take yourself out of first gear if you think that was long winded, we have some members here that would just be starting to get warmed up with that many words, sort of like comparing your CAT 3208 powered 'Bird to a Wide Body powered with an S60 climbing up a mountain grade

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-20-2012
Campground Owner

The hard part is making a video while you are trying to get something done.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 11-20-2012

Thank's John:
I have a pretty good camera that also does really nice video's (I guess..I'm a still photo photographer, but am willing to give it a try). Looking very seriously at getting a nice (and relatively inexpensive) LED photo light. That should give me a good platform for doing short video's. I will be ready as soon as I get back, get the new rig ready to go. Will be heading off to New Mexico for about 3 months (give/take) starting the 1st of February.
Anybody in the mid-Texas area that know their way around a rig for maintenance (hint hint...Ernie), give me a "ping" and maybe we can get something going for video #1.
Later crew...5 days and counting.
<Dennie>
Republic of Texas
Old 11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyclegg View Post
The hard part is making a video while you are trying to get something done.
I have trouble remembering to take pictures when I am doing something and have the camera right there. Need a helper to take the pictures.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 11-21-2012

Stop counting, it makes the days go slower! But, in no time you will be climbing in that nice big whatever and headed for Ramstein and home! . Then the real fun begins. - how to split your time bus or wife. My wife wins so my poor bus sits for now.
the (SLO-CAN) :
Old 11-21-2012

I know...I know...
Will be a problem when I get home...wife/bus/furry kids....
But, like you, know the wife will win..but there will be a battle.
Ain't it great to be LOVED...LOL
<Dennie>
Republic of Texas
Old 11-22-2012

I like this idea. Yes, an all-day job might only be three minutes of video, but at least it will let those of us who might not know exactly what to do get an idea before we start tearing things apart. Also, using real-world engines would be helpful. I get frustrated when I look in the shop manual and the "mechanic" is working on an engine that has never been in a vehicle, much less actually run, and then I go look at mine and try to figure out just where the bolts really are and how I'm supposed to get to them.
Build number 4371
Old 07-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Dennie,

That is an excellent idea and we already have a place for those threads and posts in this sub-forum, so if anybody has any suggestions of previous posts or threads please post the url link to them here and I'll copy or move them over, I can't do it with the just the subject title, please help me do some of the leg work. Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! > Maintenance Classes/Video's/Pictures

Dennie, as far as your being long winded.......................you had better take yourself out of first gear if you think that was long winded, we have some members here that would just be starting to get warmed up with that many words, sort of like comparing your CAT 3208 powered 'Bird to a Wide Body powered with an S60 climbing up a mountain grade

Whatever became of this? Has anyone started making informational videos? I watch many informative videos on Youtube and would love to see a series on Wanderlodge operations.
Sarasota, FL
michael@mcmillan.org
1991 40' WLWB "Priscilla"

Old 07-08-2015
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

We did have a guy who made videos regularly, some were very informative. Have not seen him lately tho.

I actually think picture do a better job of showing how a job was done.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com