Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-28-2013

Default Stair Step Light

So I finally took the exterior stair step light apart to replace the bulb which was burned out. During the process I broke off the (ground?) tab so it looks like I will need a new socket too. Is that someting I can just get at place like Autozone or NAPA or is there a special distributor for it. Any suggestions?
2013 Lincoln MKX (toad)
alan.darson@gmail.com
Old 08-28-2013

Alan,

Yes it is a common license plate light used on many pickup tucks. There is an LED version out now that I would choose. A similar thread here a few days ago showed the pictures and where to get them.

http://www.pmlights.com/products.cfm...Id=66&pId=3065
Old 08-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
Alan,

Yes it is a common license plate light used on many pickup tucks. There is an LED version out now that I would choose. A similar thread here a few days ago showed the pictures and where to get them.

http://www.pmlights.com/products.cfm...Id=66&pId=3065

Thanks, I know about the physical bulb buy how about the housing - I imagine from what you said a standard license plate housing wold also work.
2013 Lincoln MKX (toad)
alan.darson@gmail.com
Old 08-28-2013

Take the old one with you to your local Auto Parts Store or attach a new ground wire.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Thanks, I know about the physical bulb buy how about the housing - I imagine from what you said a standard license plate housing wold also work.
The whole housing is available in either a "bulb" version or an "LED" version. They make two different ones of the "bulb" version (and maybe the LED too). One version relies on the metal teeth to make the ground, the other has two wires; hot and ground. These are made to just snap into he existing hole in your sidewall over the step or into a hole in a bumper for marker light use.

Last time I needed one, the 2 wire was not available so I just soldered a ground wire to the back sides of the socket.

These are available at most any auto parts store or here:
http://www.class8truckparts.com/Truc.../dp/B001MQ2TBO

Last edited by G_man; 08-28-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 08-28-2013

I don't normally comment on threads on newer birds because... well, mine is old.

However, I would like to mention if it were me, I'd only use this style light (having a cap over the top half) in an LED version, and would look for alternatives first. I'd rank these right up there in the high potential fire hazard realm. In my junk yard travels I have seen lots of them melted, charred, and in several cases having clearly caused melted insulation on their wiring some distance from where they are mounted. I've seen this in everything from low end RVs, Winne's, to Tiffins, Country Coaches, and higher end Semi Tractors.

While I am not certain, I imagine part of the reason is they were originally designed for outdoor use as license plate illumination which under ordinary use would tend to have lots of air cooling.

I also note I don't recall seeing a single school bus with these on the interior of the bus... I have seen them near handicap access on the outside though.

Just tossing out the thought.
3208T 250hp
Allison MT-643
Rear End 5.29
Old 08-29-2013
RV Appraiser

We can pick you up a new one for 2 whole dollars from Bontragers if your willing to pay the shipping. I'd say 5 bucks total should get you one. PM me your address...
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 08-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene View Post
I don't normally comment on threads on newer birds because... well, mine is old.

However, I would like to mention if it were me, I'd only use this style light (having a cap over the top half) in an LED version, and would look for alternatives first. I'd rank these right up there in the high potential fire hazard realm. In my junk yard travels I have seen lots of them melted, charred, and in several cases having clearly caused melted insulation on their wiring some distance from where they are mounted. I've seen this in everything from low end RVs, Winne's, to Tiffins, Country Coaches, and higher end Semi Tractors.

While I am not certain, I imagine part of the reason is they were originally designed for outdoor use as license plate illumination which under ordinary use would tend to have lots of air cooling.

I also note I don't recall seeing a single school bus with these on the interior of the bus... I have seen them near handicap access on the outside though.

Just tossing out the thought.
The Step Light application is exactly the same as a License Plate application; outside with both front and back exposed to the outside air. You are correct though about Blue Bird using these as floor lights up to about the early 90's. They were replaced by rope lights sometime in the 90's. They have been used as outside marker plate illumination for many years with no reports ever of problems with overheating. That said, I too would choose the LED version just because you will probably never need to change it again.