Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-16-2019

At the ripe old age of 13 my parent and brother went on a two month trip to California in a pickup truck with a shell top. We slept two nights in the truck and one in a motel. We took the northern route out and the Southern route back. My mom and dad slept length wise In the bed of the truck. My brother and I slept on a section of plywood across the bed of the truck. I’m 62 now and still remember most of that trip. I’ve been an outdoorsmen all my life but that trip set me on a path to do that trip again in style. Bluebirds always caught my eye so I waited and looked for years. Finally I have one and I’m getting it ready to travel slowly but surely. This site has helped a lot in how to fix the motorhome. Thanks guys and safe travels.
Old 05-16-2019

Growing up in England, we tent camped every summer close to the seaside. It was all we could afford, though we kids didn't realize it, & for us it was a great adventure. It was a different time; we'd find a nice-looking field, Mum or Dad would go ask the farmer how much he wanted for us to camp there, usually it was free. Fast forward to being newly married here in the US, and again we started under canvas for the same reasons. We progressed through a pop-up, tow-behind trailer, then eventually a Class C, a Four Winds Chateau. Talk about sticks & staples! Although almost new, the flimsy fibreboard "walls" kept coming loose from the 1" x 1" wooden framing, doors fell off while driving a bumpy road, drawers flew out on winding roads, fiberglass sides delaminated, & we had to have the roof replaced after 18 months due to water leaks (factory reimbursed us for that).
At a Good Sam rally in Phoenix, a dealer had a used PT-40 for sale. He obviously knew Wanderlodges, spent hours showing us round & demonstrating all the systems. Heavy-duty plywood walls, steel body...but what blew me away was the cockpit; all those dials & switches! We'd have traded right then, except the dealer wouldn't take our POS SOB in trade; he diplomatically said they didn't take in "starter-level" rigs!
I found WOG once we got home, lurked for a bit till Randy had one on BBBB, then bought it sight unseen. HUGE learning curve, but thanks to all the WOG mentors, every question I posted was answered. Recently upgraded to a WB43, now happily full-timing. As amazing as these busses are, without WOG, for me anyway, it would be a non-event, I didn't have the knowledge to fix a lot of the mechanical things, & RV repair outfits where we used to live didn't want to know. The more I fix, the more I learn, though I sometimes wonder...did you know Bluebird used 34 screws to attach the microwave support bracket to the rear wall?
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 05-17-2019

I love the aggravation.
Old 05-17-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Charpentier View Post
I love the aggravation.
WE love Marty too Butch!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-17-2019

We bought are bus to take a big family trip, I am not one to set around so the bus gave me something to do almost every day.
Old 05-21-2019

Thanks so much for the warm welcome to the group. I have spent the last week "playing" with the coach. Trying to figure out what each switch controls. I have come to realize that many items on my check into list are just my ignorance of a coach that was well thought out and provided controls for everything from lights to a toilet that flushes with compressed air. I am still in awe at the engineering and value that these girls bring compared to the junk they sell today.

Last weekend I fueled up at a local station and had 2 gentlemen come up to me (yes it took a while to pump 125 gallons) and admire the coach. One who thought it was a Prevost of some sort and the other that knew exactly what a Wanderlodge was, the finest coach on the road. Big smile on my face...

I know there is a lot of maintenance ahead of me the keep this girl in top shape. But given the engineering and thoughtfulness of the team that assembled this coach I am proud to keep the tradition of these coaches alive for years to come.

Again thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. You guys and gals have been a wealth of information in the couple of weeks that I have owned the coach. I will continue to be vigilant in posting what I find unique in this coach as there is still a lot for me to learn.

God Bless and safe travels.

Chip Gremillion
2000 Lxi
Old 05-21-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgremill View Post
Thanks so much for the warm welcome to the group. I have spent the last week "playing" with the coach. Trying to figure out what each switch controls. I have come to realize that many items on my check into list are just my ignorance of a coach that was well thought out and provided controls for everything from lights to a toilet that flushes with compressed air. I am still in awe at the engineering and value that these girls bring compared to the junk they sell today.

Last weekend I fueled up at a local station and had 2 gentlemen come up to me (yes it took a while to pump 125 gallons) and admire the coach. One who thought it was a Prevost of some sort and the other that knew exactly what a Wanderlodge was, the finest coach on the road. Big smile on my face...

I know there is a lot of maintenance ahead of me the keep this girl in top shape. But given the engineering and thoughtfulness of the team that assembled this coach I am proud to keep the tradition of these coaches alive for years to come.

Again thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. You guys and gals have been a wealth of information in the couple of weeks that I have owned the coach. I will continue to be vigilant in posting what I find unique in this coach as there is still a lot for me to learn.

God Bless and safe travels.

Chip Gremillion

Hi Chip!
Please update your signature so we know what coach you ended up buying.
Thanks!!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-19-2019

This is the zenith of many, many years of RVs for me. I started out with a 13 foot Kodiak TT when I was 18. Won't go through all the TT I have had, but it's north of 10. I wanted a MH for years. Just could not afford one. The time I had a shot at a WL, I had no place to work on it. Now I am retired, and have a small inheritance. I have enough land to build a bird house (next year). I was ready. I swore I find one from the sun belt. I was getting ready to fly cross county to buy a mid 90 unit. This was till I found a 14 year old 40Lx a mile away at a major RV dealer. its low mileage (78,000 +/-). Its sort of clean. Nice body, little rusty underneath. All I wanted to do was show my wife what I have been talking about for the last few years. The second the wife saw it, I was in for it lol. I am not bad mechanic. Kids are grown and on their own. The one just blew me away by buying a 6 bedroom mansion north of Little Rock in a bank auction. I get off topic. This is a dream come true. I don't plan to go on the road full time, but I have wanted to play what I call reverse snow bird ever since moving to Florida 25 years ago. We have relatives across the country and its time I see them again. If you want to see mine bird, its still in the shop (dealer wanted to see it running right, and I am sinking 20Gs into it for a bunch of other things.) I posted pics up to date under my profile. I am adding a 16 foot gate to my side yard and getting 13 tons of gravel laid down in the back yard in a few days to bring it home. A few weeks of fixing it up, we are off on a 2400 mile trip for a month to shake her down a bit. I hope you find yours one day and learn to love it. I intend to add lots of technology and safety gear to mine and hope to post some of the work to YouTube.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 06-19-2019

Congratulations on your purchase. I enjoyed looking at your picture album. Travel safely.

Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net