Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-26-2019

Default M380 Water Bay Sensor? (another "what is this")

On the Water Bay "floor" behind the panel with the water inlet, sewer flush inlet, etc. Looks like it's "goop" mounted. Underside in that area is foam covered so can't see if it penetrates the floor. Don't see it in any of my electrical diagrams. Also don't recall any displays with a warning message from the water bay. Anyone know what it is? Leak sensor? (although I'm not sure how water would penetrate all the mounting goop).

Click image for larger version

Name:	M380 Water Bay Sensor 2019-09-26.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	64341
(click to enlarge)

I'd trace it but have my hands full with a "no water fill" project. Wiring of fill switch messed up (green light always on) and one of water pump switch leads is disconnected so somebody has messed with this stuff before. I know PO had all of his work done at BB (then ex-BB) shops so I'm disappointed to see this kind of mess (he owned his own business and 380 was just another tool - he paid to have everything done and deducted it).

Thanks
Jim
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 09-26-2019

Does look like a hack job. The wires should have a protective shroud so they don't chafe and short. Much rather have a grommet than a goop to protect.
first thought was something like a freeze detection (temp) sensor. I have some added on wires exiting that bay for a macerator pump, but they don't leave to the outside. Just forward to wiring panel below the driver.

I don't recall mine having those wires, but not sure I removed the vertical panel in that bay.
I do know Van rebuilt his and had a bunch of photos up. Maybe worth peaking at his thread about his water softener and new faucet in that bay.

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 09-26-2019

Agree with Doug, looks like a hack job of some kind. No clue why they would have run a wire to the outside at that location. Do not recall any wires like that on either the wet bay floor or the curbside tank sensor area (behind the decor panel on the “shortie” bay) of my coach. Lots of pics posted in the M380 Water & Waste thread: https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=30746 (Posts 7, 10, 13 & 15).

As to the water pump green light being on all the time - Don’t forget about the switch behind the kitchen panel. It’s a tight fit behind that panel and a connector could easily have come off.
Old 09-26-2019

Thanks for the quick responses guys. You gave me confidence that it's not factory so I decided to dig it out before closing everything up again. Here's the pics of the sensor and the hole it was "installed" in.

Name:	IMG_0723.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	64363Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	64364
(click to enlarge)

Net says it's an external temp sensor. ATI is still in business as a subsidiary of somebody else, but the part number is not recognized. Based on current products, it looks like it just went to some display / processor in the coach. In all fairness, only the tip of the sensor went through the hole and the wiring upstream of the photo is in a split loom conduit that appears factory, hence my confusion. Because I'm not sure what else it may be connected to, I'm leaving it as-is for now. IMHO, a strange location to install a temp sensor.

Another mystery solved by the WOG!

Jim
hexspeed@aol.com
Old 09-27-2019
thumbqdm@gmail.com

Jim,
When I winterized my coach a couple of weeks ago I found the same temp sensor hanging by its wires under the coach. I was watching water flowing from the hot and cold drains when I spotted it. Mine is in the same location as yours, except mine had pushed thru the spray foam and was actually hanging below the foam about an inch. Not wanting to get distracted from the job at hand I looked at it and pushed it back into the foam, making a mental note to seal the hole in the foam "later". It might be fun to put the sensor in a cup of ice to see if any alarms sound or lights illuminate

BTW - My fill solenoid was removed by a PO and replaced with a shutoff valve. The valve sits just above the water manifold in roadside bay 4. It works fine for now, so I'm not sure I can justify trying to return it to stock.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3142.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	64365  
2006 Jeep Wrangler
Old 09-27-2019

Do you guys have a weather center mounted above the dinette? Mine has inside, outside temps along with barometric pressure, a clock, etc.
It provides some form of weather prediction, maybe from satellite radio source or just its own data.
I had assumed aftermarket, but maybe a BB option? There are a few loose wires around the black and grey tank sensors (which are hidden behind a panel), but most seem to have protective sheathing.

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 09-27-2019
thumbqdm@gmail.com

My 2004 does not. The sensor location, down by a hot road surface, would be a poor choice for "outside temp".
2006 Jeep Wrangler
Old 09-27-2019

Going out to buy a lottery ticket -- put everything back together and it all works as designed!! All pump switches work; FILL switch opens sprolan valve (and green light only comes on when sporlan is active); water flows into the tank; FULL sensor works; no leaks around any of the plumbing I touched. Love it when a plan comes together. Byproduct of the effort is that that nasty bay is now sanitized and organized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbqdm View Post
... I found the same temp sensor hanging by its wires under the coach. ... Mine is in the same location as yours, except mine had pushed thru the spray foam and was actually hanging below the foam about an inch. ... I looked at it and pushed it back into the foam, making a mental note to seal the hole in the foam "later". (It might be fun to put the sensor in a cup of ice to see if any alarms sound or lights illuminate)
Paul: The foam was also removed under my sensor so I gather it's intended to be "hanging in the wind" so it can accurately measure the outside temp. When I have a few minutes, I'll do your cup of ice idea and see what happens! I temporarily used plumbers putty so the sensor is easy to get out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbqdm View Post
My fill solenoid was removed by a PO and replaced with a shutoff valve. The valve sits just above the water manifold in roadside bay 4. It works fine for now, so I'm not sure I can justify trying to return it to stock.
Funny -- this was my next step. Seems counterintuitive to replace all the Bluebird engineering, but KISS is fast becoming my motto when their elaborate designs quit working! I AM documenting all changes in my owners log so the next caretaker will know what I've modified.

Thanks, all.
Jim
hexspeed@aol.com
Old 09-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
Do you guys have a weather center mounted above the dinette? Mine has inside, outside temps along with barometric pressure, a clock, etc.
It provides some form of weather prediction, maybe from satellite radio source or just its own data.
I had assumed aftermarket, but maybe a BB option? There are a few loose wires around the black and grey tank sensors (which are hidden behind a panel), but most seem to have protective sheathing.
Doug: I have a small display Velcro'd at table level that just shows outside and inside temps. Outside sensor is just below the awning above the dinette window. Given the mess they made with the mount/sealant outside, this is definitely owner installed! Yours sounds like one I've had at my house for the last dozen years -- mine just uses internal data for the "forecast".

When I replace my dash radio, it'll for sure have CARPLAY so I can display forecasts and weather radar from my phone.

Jim
hexspeed@aol.com