Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 04-21-2010

Question remove dash?? - to fix wiper switches

Have a weird windshield wiper "problem" - Won't completely turn off!!!! I can occasionally make it do so by touching switches a certain way but sometimes can only reduce to maximum delay - about 17 seconds??
Plan to remove lower dash and chech rocker switch and varible pot and am wondering what adventures the removal will begin. 95 BMC - suggestins GREATLY appreciated.
Ed Nowokunski
95BMC37 - right now in OK city.
Old 04-21-2010

What about pulling the fuse to see if that "resets" anything?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 04-21-2010
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
What about pulling the fuse to see if that "resets" anything?
HA! I'm laughing at myself now. I have an issue with the wipers in my SOB. A few years ago, I'd hit a bump and the wipers would come on. Over time, the bumps required to kick the wipers off for a cycle got smaller and smaller. About 2 years ago, the wipers came on and more or less, never really went off. I have tried to figure out the wiring diagram for them (got it from Winnebago) and then looked for a replacement control unit. No dice on either. My next plan is to put a switch on the dash to control the power to the whole unit.

So for now, I just go down the road with no fuse in the wiper. The fuse stays in the little container next to the driver's seat. I did put some RainX on the windshield (which reminds me its time to do that again) and I've only had to put the wiper fuse back in on 1 occasion in the last 2 years. I haven't been caught in any storms (except that 1) where its been a big deal. I sit high enough that road spray isn't a big deal. Surprisingly, its all been a non-issue.
Marietta, GA
Old 04-21-2010
Adult??

Smile

I'd say be very careful pulling the dash, sitting it down and back in

Things can tough easy, resulting in sparks loud noises and some smoke escaping from things. You do know things are powered by smoke??? If smoke gets out things just don't work the same!!

1981 FC-35

Poland
Old 04-21-2010

I always disconnect all 12 volt power to the coach when working under the dash. or taking it apart. I was at a bluebird rally at Whitefish montana a number of years back and the BB mechanics were replacing an Amp gauge in one of the coach's. Well, when they were puttiing it back together it shorted out and caught the coach on fire plus filled it up with smoke. BB paid for all the repairs and cleaning etc. It pays to be on the safe side and turn off all master switch's or disconnect the batterys before doing the work.
Old 04-21-2010
Adult??

Smile

Bob

Your right but it's a bummer to get the screwed dash in and hit the master only to see smoke. OR WORSE!!!!

After several times playing with the dash. I learned what made contact and how to install everything live so we stopped having surprises.

Real help to have a halon fire bottle handy. Leaves everything clean to trace and repair. They are still on EBay

1981 FC-35

Poland
Old 04-21-2010

Ed,
I replaced a wiper moter in a 1994 BMC and believe me its not fun on the drivers side through the instrument cluster. I would think your issue is more in the switch than that of the moter itself. The moter has three wires going to it if I remember correctly and all your control functions I would think are controlled at the switches which are easier to get to through the outside door below the drivers side window. Those wires go directly from the switches to the moter's. If you do remove the instrument cluster you can tilt it back to get at the moter on that side but be very careful as the wires are short going to the gauges and if you pull back to far you will disconnect some of the wires going to the gauges and believe me thats where the fun starts trying to figure out what goes where. Good Luck
"STL CRZY"
Email: slckpurdy@aol.com
Old 04-21-2010

I believe I'll wait a bit.
Ed
Old 04-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE View Post
I'd say be very careful pulling the dash, sitting it down and back in

Things can tough easy, resulting in sparks loud noises and some smoke escaping from things. You do know things are powered by smoke??? If smoke gets out things just don't work the same!!
Ah hah! That is the "Smoke Theory" of electronics!!!

Jack

Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 04-27-2010
Adult??

Smile

no theory Jack TRUTH!!

1981 FC-35