Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 08-04-2008
Phil Olson

Default TV Antenna is Dead?

I think the old round TV antenna on my 83FC35 has died on me. I can't get any over the air signals with it, but the TVs do work if I plug in a set of rabbit ears. Does anyone know of a good replacement antenna and where to get it, or is it possible to repair these old one?
Thanks.
Phil Olson
Appleton, Wi
83FC35SB
Old 08-04-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Olson View Post
I think the old round TV antenna on my 83FC35 has died on me. I can't get any over the air signals with it, but the TVs do work if I plug in a set of rabbit ears. Does anyone know of a good replacement antenna and where to get it, or is it possible to repair these old one?
Thanks.
Phil Olson
Appleton, Wi
83FC35SB
Phil,

Stephen Birtles had the new replacement flying saucer type TV Antennas a while back you can check with him here on the forum under Vendors > Dupree Products

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-04-2008

Smile Re: antenna dead

Phil.Check your antenna/cable switch. Lee Condosta 85PT 40 Holden Beach N.C
Old 08-04-2008
Former Bird Owner

My 'flying saucer' antenna ceased to rotate. I got a replacement from Steven Birtles -- I don't recall it being particularly expensive. The wires are pretty small, so considering the age, one or another of them may have broken on yours. If that is the case, you should plan on running a new cable down from the roof. (Just follow the old one.) As a first step, you might want to take off the little cover on the bottom and see if one of the wires has broken. It might just need to be re-attached.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 08-21-2008

Stephen has 4 or 5 antennas left on the shelf. They are 120 plus shipping. I'm buying two of them today for my bus and a friends PT40.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 10-08-2008

Default TV Antenna Replacement

I have the old type in the round white deal that just sits on the roof sort of low down behind the front air conditioner (it doesn't go up and down). The new Birds have something that looks similar but it goes up about 3 feet on those 2 tubes. Although mine rotates fine, I don't get very good reception.

I was wondering when everything goes digital if it is time to replace mine with one of those cheap ones from Camping World, or try to get one of those new ones like on the new Birds (I have a 95 BMC). Or should I be looking at something else entirely.

Any suggestions would be nice. Since mine rotates, I obviously have power up there, but I haven't really gone up there and looked at it to see how it is attached (I really wish I had a ladder on the back of my bus) or what other type will fit if I take it off.

Thanks for any ideas.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 10-08-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
I have the old type in the round white deal that just sits on the roof sort of low down behind the front air conditioner (it doesn't go up and down). The new Birds have something that looks similar but it goes up about 3 feet on those 2 tubes. Although mine rotates fine, I don't get very good reception.

I was wondering when everything goes digital if it is time to replace mine with one of those cheap ones from Camping World, or try to get one of those new ones like on the new Birds (I have a 95 BMC). Or should I be looking at something else entirely.

Any suggestions would be nice. Since mine rotates, I obviously have power up there, but I haven't really gone up there and looked at it to see how it is attached (I really wish I had a ladder on the back of my bus) or what other type will fit if I take it off.

Thanks for any ideas.

Lee,

All that you will need is the converter box, check out these threads on that subject Digital TV Deadline / Analog to Digital TV Coverter and TV antenna

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-08-2008

Default Converter Boxes/New Antenna

I have already purchased the 2 converter boxes I needed. However, my reception is pretty crummy now, so I thought I might want to upgrade my antenna anyway. I am waiting until February however, so I can see what difference the new digital signals make to my reception. At that point we will see.....

I have not installed the boxes yet. I hate the idea of another remote. However, cheaper than new TVs at this point.

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 10-08-2008

Lee,

I just recently was lucky enough to have Gardner come over and give mine the once over. Mine went up and down (which I think yiours should!) but the rotation wasn't working. Which Gardner fixed. I've found that it makes a hugh difference in reception as to whether the antenna is up or down.
Westchester Sandblast
Old 10-08-2008

Default Getting the Antenna up

I don't think the antenna on this 13 year old BMC goes up and down. If so, I have no idea where the switch to do that is. It just sits in a little white round box squatting on the roof, and inside the bus I have a cable remote which has about a 4 foot cord which has a rocker switch which rotates the antenna. It is labeled a Mini-State 5MS750. When it gets to either end of the rotation, the rocker switch lights up and says "End of Rotation". It is a little bit of a pain going back and forth counting one thousand one, one thousand two...... so you can find the best spot from either end (I'm sure you can imagine that). As a result of not going up and down, I think it gets bad reception. I don't know if these were on the older Wanderlodges (before the ones now that look the same but go up about 3 feet on the tubes) or not, but if anyone has experience with them and does not get good receptipon, it might be helpful to know if you did something that helped. I have thought about going up there and trying to take it apart, but am waiting for February to see what the new digital signals are like before doing that.

Thanks

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere