Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 12-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
I'm just not understanding any of this? The pics you show, is the lift in the "up" position? There's no clearance to the ground? If that's the up position it is not a good design AND/OR installation? I build my own lift so it is static and it has more clearance than that. Also, I helped Fred mount a factory lift on his 90SP and when raised you can put a car under it, it's very high off the ground.
The lift is up but the suspension is dumped. Check this page for another picture of the Blue Ox lift. Mine was mounted at the correct height when the suspension was aired up.

http://www.blueox.us/Carriers/SP1.htm

Quote:
Also, the rating of the existing tow system on the bus is irrelevant. The lifts use their own two tubular hitches installed on the frame. Something just doesn't sound right?
I thought it was irrelevant too and look where it got me. Blue Ox says to mount the side plates to the main C channels. There are no main C channels at the back of the SP. The side plates were welded to the same bolted member as the factory receiver. This receiver was rated for 5000 lb towing/500 lb tongue weight per the Blue Bird manual. Sure, the lift weight was split between two receivers so 500 lb/receiver. But now that total weight with motorcycle is close to 1000 lb and is levering off a 3-4 foot moment arm and creating a torque on that bolted member. And at that point I guess the manufacturer's ratings mean something.

As I said, this was my experience. If you can learn something from this and install a better lift, or in a better manner, please do so and avoid the problems I had.
Old 12-24-2010
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I'm not sure the brand Fred used but we had to modify it to hold his 3 wheeled scooter. Here's some pics of his system and he too is aired down. This system appears to have much more clearance to yours? Also when it is on the ground it is completely flat and easy to load.

Also, I'm a fan of the rail system so the tires can't move during travel. I noticed yours was also flat with only a front wheel chaulk. (NOTE: I've seen people asking.. Harbor Freight sells these.. FYI). The rear is not captive by a rail.

Anyway, Sorry to hear about your all your troubles. BUT, others have had good success and really appreciate not having to carry a trailer or fight with dollies. Also, many states lower your speed limit with trailers and back East I hear you guys actually have to PAY per axle just to drive on some freeways called "toll roads"????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060198.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	7839   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060275.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	7840   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060289.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	7841   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060676.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	7842  
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 12-24-2010
ANOTHER REDNECK

well---we did the extinton on my old sp......it will hold 10 or more now

regular tow 10-12g behind it and it has over 2000 lb tongue weight at times.....whoever mounted that must have just tried to bolt it all not tie it all together

sometimes i know i have too much on the ft of the trailer as it will porpoise!!!! yehaaaaaaaa!! on I40
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 12-24-2010

Default Platform, not a lift.

Mike,

Just thinking...This is for me, not a bike lift. I'd like a platform off the rear of the coach and be able to tow the Jeep off the rear of the platform. Make it a double insert/receiver thing. Build the platform out 24" or 30". Centered under the platform would be the receiver tube to hook up the toad tow bar just aft the platform. Ought to work just fine??? Legal or not??? Just thinking...
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 12-24-2010
Forum owner

Woodys coach had a C frame under it,its an SP too.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-24-2010

Jason left my house with a 15k lb. Donut Wagon on the back of his SP.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-24-2010

Just because they put a receiver on the back of those platforms... Maybe thats just asking too much.

Ken - Austin, Texas -
'94 34' Safari Serengeti sold - Mom remarried @71 and they upgraded to a newer Coach w/Slides

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Old 12-25-2010
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
Mike,

Just thinking...This is for me, not a bike lift. I'd like a platform off the rear of the coach and be able to tow the Jeep off the rear of the platform. Make it a double insert/receiver thing. Build the platform out 24" or 30". Centered under the platform would be the receiver tube to hook up the toad tow bar just aft the platform. Ought to work just fine??? Legal or not??? Just thinking...
I'd have to do some research on the legal side and I'm sure that changes by state, however I have seen many extensions so there is a way. I've also purchased bed extensions for my pickup that uses the receiver. AND they do the motorcycle lifts in all states so I'm thinking they may be following that 4' overhang rule? I'd think 24-30" wouldn't be an issue.

Personally I'd mount the two extra receivers like a cycle lift and use the stock center one. That way you can add cross-bracing between the stock and two outside stingers forming triangles. That should take care of lateral loads. Also that would make the deck removable if needed.

Plus, if you ever back into anything.. it won't damage YOUR vehicle.. hee hee hee
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 12-25-2010

Quote:
I'd have to do some research on the legal side and I'm sure that changes by state, however I have seen many extensions so there is a way. I've also purchased bed extensions for my pickup that uses the receiver. AND they do the motorcycle lifts in all states so I'm thinking they may be following that 4' overhang rule? I'd think 24-30" wouldn't be an issue.

Personally I'd mount the two extra receivers like a cycle lift and use the stock center one. That way you can add cross-bracing between the stock and two outside stingers forming triangles. That should take care of lateral loads. Also that would make the deck removable if needed.

Plus, if you ever back into anything.. it won't damage YOUR vehicle.. hee hee hee
Thanks, Mike. Right on...rear end support is always good!!!

Also thinking of a tongue jack/wheel at center front...and two flip trailer jacks at the rear corners...unhook and roll it away. Now need to think about a fold up version.

Time for bed. Merry Christmas.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 12-26-2010
ANOTHER REDNECK

load coming in today 250 mile run

i stopped and weighed the trailer and load

2800lb tongue weight

the bus was ready for me to unhook and i was too~~~~

guess i need to see how randys hitch is doing under the bus but looks good at 65mph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13,400lb.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	7863   Click image for larger version

Name:	13,400lb1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	7864  
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064