Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 10-02-2011

Default Enging dies/wont start

Recently had problems starting my 95 BB. Mechanic sprayed starting fluid.ether into the air intake and got it started. No problems for a month or so. Went on a trip recently. When I started it, it was sluggish for about 10 minutes then it was ok. After 30 miles I slowed down to make a turn and the engine stalled. Was only able to restart with starting fulid in air intake. Did this for the rest of the trip. Had to keep idle high(approx 1200-1500) to keep from stalling. No it will not start. Changed the main fuel filter(8v-92). Still nothing. Any ideas/help?
Old 10-03-2011
Administrator

Default e , water.

Seems like a fuel problem,, replace all fuel filters, drain some fuel from the Racor and look for dirt, algae & water.. when replacing the racor, Is the canister full ?? How much fuel is in the tank?? Is the fuel gage accuate??
Old 10-03-2011

sounds like Racor is plugged, or leaking
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 10-03-2011
Former Bird Owner

Agree that it sounds like fuel filter problems. The 95 has 3 filters, the Racor and two 'twist on' filters on the curb side of the engine.

Be absolutely sure that the new filters have fuel in them when you attach them. The S-60 is very sensitive to air in the fuel line -- it won't start if that occurs. (Don't ask how I know this.)

The experience you describe sounds like algae (or water) in the fuel that's plugging up the filters. The Racor has a water separator and you should check the bowl at the bottom of the Racor for water. (At least, you should drain a couple of ounces of fuel out of the bottom of the Racor before each day's travel to remove any water drops that may have collected. I never attempted to catch the drain-off to look for water (as it was awkward enough to get my hand onto the valve on the bottom of the Racor, much less my other hand to hold something to catch the fuel).

A less-likely possibility is the fuel pump. Also check for any small leaks that might be allowing air to enter the fuel line, especially after passing through the Racor. (That is, a leak between the Racor and the twist on filters.)

I forget exactly, but I think the Racor is supposed to be a 20 micron, the 1st twist-on a 10 micron and the 2nd twist-on a 5 micron filter -- (but check your engine manual to be sure about the specs for the twist ons).

The ether in the intake works because the fuel pump provides more fuel than the S-60 really needs (excess is returned to the fuel tank) and it will quickly eliminate any air gaps.

But mostly it sounds like you are getting clogged filters due to algae or other debris in your fuel... (have you drawn down your tank lower than usual? You may need to draw off some fuel from the bottom of the tank (there should be a petcock reachable at mid-coach. Get a large pan to capture the fuel, and drain until it runs clear. Then inspect the captured fuel for contamination.

Note: There are sensors for both the Racor ("water in filter", a light and alarm over the entry door) and "water in fuel" (a light on the dashboard) but in my experience these were not very reliable, giving false positives (e.g. alarm sounding, but unable to find any water in either fuel or filter) on my coach. The usual culprit is "grounding problems."

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com