Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-28-2013

I have no plans as of now for Sunday morning. Could be some old time birders coming for brunch, but we'll figure something out. To figure your time, I'm about 2 hours from my old home in Grand Rapids.

Make your list and be prepared to take notes.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 06-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I have no plans as of now for Sunday morning. Could be some old time birders coming for brunch, but we'll figure something out. To figure your time, I'm about 2 hours from my old home in Grand Rapids.

Make your list and be prepared to take notes.
you will sharpen your backing skills at Daves' place, also. Pat Murphy for me.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 06-29-2013
Tom

Hey Kris,
Sorry your having so much trouble but don't worry these guys will hook you up.
I know next to nothing about motors diesel or gas and less about electronics and they have helped me a ton!!
I do know the 6v are a lot different than 12 , they last a lot longer but do take longer to charge ; I highly recommended those , wired the way that is show in previous post .
Once you get the air out of your lines you can drain the water off the bottom of the racor but you should have the engine running if you want it to drain good .

It will get easier !
3208NA -210 HP
Old 06-30-2013

I stopped by Dave's today and learned a bunch and solved a few mysteries about my bb. Thanks a ton Dave, that was very helpful.

I confirmed that I have my batteries hooked up correctly. I was unable to jump start it tonight. I do not think my batteries are the issue. Many here have said my batteries are not big enough; that may be true but they were big enough to start it all last fall and the bb would sit for weeks and fire right up on old batteries and I have new ones installed so why the issue of too small batteries happen now?

When I was jumpstarting it the volts on the dash gage were at the top end of the green area, I think it was 16 v. I just got a a tat, tat, tat, tat. I was doing it by myself so I was in the driver seat but I feel strongly that the noise was coming from my starter. I think I need to search for a thread about testing a starter. If anyone knows of one off the top of their head a link would be great.

I really need to get this thing started and moved, it is just sitting on the road in front of my house and I know my neighbor is not happy.
Cat 3208NA
Old 06-30-2013

Mine had done that every so often. I usually crawl under there with a hammer and tap the starter a time or 2 and it fires right up. Since the last time that has happened I have cleaned all the connections on the starter + and - sides. We'll see how that worked. Good luck.
1982 FC35 SB-----SOLD.
Old 07-01-2013
Forum owner

Check the starter grounds,do a search on that.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroosmd View Post
I stopped by Dave's today and learned a bunch and solved a few mysteries about my bb. Thanks a ton Dave, that was very helpful.

I confirmed that I have my batteries hooked up correctly. I was unable to jump start it tonight. I do not think my batteries are the issue. Many here have said my batteries are not big enough; that may be true but they were big enough to start it all last fall and the bb would sit for weeks and fire right up on old batteries and I have new ones installed so why the issue of too small batteries happen now?

When I was jumpstarting it the volts on the dash gage were at the top end of the green area, I think it was 16 v. I just got a a tat, tat, tat, tat. I was doing it by myself so I was in the driver seat but I feel strongly that the noise was coming from my starter. I think I need to search for a thread about testing a starter. If anyone knows of one off the top of their head a link would be great.

I really need to get this thing started and moved, it is just sitting on the road in front of my house and I know my neighbor is not happy.
Turn the charger off for an hour or so and then check the battery voltage. From what you have previously posted, I would suspect they are still dead. Even trying to jump a car with a really low battery often doesn't get more than a click.

Also, I forgot to mention when you were here that often around marinas, there are fuel polishing services that could help you with that problem. Should be plenty of marinas just west of you.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 07-02-2013

I took the charger off and checked all 4 batteries 3 to 4 hours later and they all read about 6.3v. I am waving the white flag. I have a mobile diesel mechanic scheduled to come out tomorrow morning.
Cat 3208NA
Old 07-07-2013

Well, we got it started. The mechanic was pretty stumped as well but we started tracing the voltage to the starter and all was good, then we tried to follow the amps and finally found that the rear battery clamp was cracked in the crotch of the y shape connector. We replaced that and it started right up. tough lesson to learn, you can't only look at the outside of something you have to inspect the inside too. oh well, now I can start working on the speed issue. I may still make it to Crater Lake National Park yet this summer!
Cat 3208NA

Last edited by kroosmd; 07-07-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-07-2013
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroosmd View Post
Well, we got it started. The mechanic was pretty stumped as well but we started tracing the voltage to the starter and all was good, then we tried to follow the amps and finally found that the rear battery clamp was cracked in the crotch of the y shape connector. We replaced that and it started right up. tough lesson to learn, you can't only look at the outside of something you have to inspect the inside too. oh well, now I can start working on the speed issue. I may still make it to Crater National Park yet this summer!
It that's Crater Lake, then go in from the South, the North entrance is only for mountain goats.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey