Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 10-18-2013

Default high air pressure

Hi,
Coming home last week the last couple miles or so after I got off the interstate I heard quite a loud release of air every 30 -45 seconds, air pressure was reading 150psi front and back with the air release keeping it at 150psi. I let it release a few times shut the bus down. Released some air with brake pedal, dump suspension worked -it usually takes a day or less to empty. I scan the gauges regularly I don't think the pressure built up til I was almost home. Started bus a couple days later it aired up and kept going past 120psi to 150psi same air release every 30 secs or so, drove it around the block a few times stopping and releasing air with the brake pedal. Parked it and hit the dump susp. rocker and now it would'nt work (dash red light bottom center did'nt go on and the bus was still high the next morning). At first I thought maybe it was air compressor governor, but then the suspension would'nt dump-is it a bad dump valve? I don't plan on fixing this myself, but I'm wondering could a bad governor restrict the susp dump from working? Main question is would driving 20 miles to the repair shop with the air going up to 150psi and releasing and keeping it at 150psi cause something like a bag or line, etc. to burst? (can I release the air any way while driving besides the brake pedal, I would have to stop often to do that) or it's just not worth the chance and just get it towed.
Thanks for any input.

Jim & Joni Ramsay
York, Pennsylvania
90 SP36
Old 10-18-2013
Administrator

there is a safety 150 psi valve usually on the dryer, sound like the pressure is too high, I would try to adjust the governor to a lower pressure to drive, or better to replace it.
Old 10-18-2013

Change the Bendix D-2 governor...immediately. Bill is spot on.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ha...-p-u55-kn18530

Put on a new D-2 governor instead of reconditioned.

On your SP the D-2 is probably mounted on the Tu-Flo Compressor. If I am wrong, Rick, Mark, Woody or anybody with a SP can verify.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 10-18-2013

Paul,
I had a similar problem a while back. My air would reach near 140. I used the same methods you did to release the preasure. (break pedal, etc)

Terry Angelino, a first class diesel mechanic from NV suggested I get about a tablespoon of Mystery Marvil oil into the air system. Suggested it was a sticky governor. I followed his advise...problem solved. No problems for over a year now. And I did not have to pay $100 plus per hour to fix it!

Do you have a schrader valve in the engine compartment for airing up your system from on outside air source?

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 10-18-2013

I had the same deal, changed compressor gov, didn't fix, replaced dryer with a fresh reman, same deal. Ran new 1/4" lines from tank and dryer to compressor gov, fixed it. Original lines on my FC are copper buried in the frame rail, replaced with plastic and push on connectors. My leaks were from the flexible rubber hose that runs from the frame rail to governor. Too much of a hassle to access, ran from dryer and tank along transmission over top of engine to governor. New line wrapped in abraision sleeve, times like this the exhaust blankets make life easier. I use MMoil regularly.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 10-18-2013

I appreciate the quick help, I'll put in the MMO I had read something about that before didn't think about it til you mentioned it. I was planning on a new governor that's what I thought originally but the suspension dump quitting got me thinking it was more. I hope the MMO and governor does it, that'd be one of my cheaper fixes that's for sure. I got quite a few spare and new parts with the bus when I bought it including air dryer and filter. I'm not sure I can change them, I'll see when I open up the back hatch but if not that'll be done next time it goes into the shop seems the right time. I'll check back in with results after the fix. Thanks again

Jim & Joni Ramsay
York, Pennsylvania
90 SP36
Old 10-19-2013
Resident Rookie

Default D-2 governor

I relocated my D-2 governor lower on the frame so I could service it or replace it without having to acquire 3 elbows and four thumbs!

Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205