Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-11-2014

Default airbag not airing up

finally got brave enough to change my front right airbags on our 82fc35. Randy's tutorial helped immensely although i didn't have a vacuum pump. my solution to compressing the bags was to leave them in the sun til they heated up a bit, compress them with my knee- and stick a piece of duct tape over the inlet to keep it down while i got it lined up- then i lifted the tape and it inflated in place. got it all bolted down, air lines hooked up and tight... cranked the motor... and...

they do inflate... just not far enough. still have a pronounced lean towards the curb side. while the bags i took out really really really needed to be changed- i suspect they were not in fact my original issue.

ideas would be welcome...

Glenn
Get a free night
(Only in your Wanderlodge!)
@
www.TexasStarRVranch.com
Old 03-11-2014
RV Appraiser

Have you taken it for a road test yet? It may be that your right rear air leveling valve has not reset itself. You have one leveling valve on the front & 2 on the rear. I get the same situation everytime I park in my drive, eventually it settles and all is well. Can't explain it, but when I drop off the curb I have to make a sharp right turn, the crown of the road leans the coach to the right then everything eventually returns back to normal. Just a thought, someone smarter than I will let us know.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds_first View Post
Have you taken it for a road test yet? It may be that your right rear air leveling valve has not reset itself. You have one leveling valve on the front & 2 on the rear. I get the same situation everytime I park in my drive, eventually it settles and all is well. Can't explain it, but when I drop off the curb I have to make a sharp right turn, the crown of the road leans the coach to the right then everything eventually returns back to normal. Just a thought, someone smarter than I will let us know.

This SP use to do the same thing. Put new ends on the leveling rod and all is well. The rod ends were worn and would hang up causing the leveling valve to be in the wrong position.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-11-2014
Gardner

Glenn,
John has the answer, The rear bags level the coach as there is a leveling valve for each side. The front leveling valve just sets the front height. If the rears are not adjusted properly the coach will lean. Remember, adjusting the valves while under the coach is dangerous. Insure you have enough room with the coach completely aired down.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-11-2014

MMmmKay...

road tested and it's leaning more than ever. i've never seen the driver side as high as it got LOL. at the same time, the curb side was very very very low. so- the ride height is in the back, connected to the axle, huh? i do not repeat do-not want it to be the panhard bushing- or is it easier than it sounds? maybe a couple of good whacks on the valve body with a hammer??

Glenn
Get a free night
@
www.TexasStarRVranch.com
Old 03-11-2014

No hammers on the leveling valves. Plastic parts and thin rods will bend and break. check the left REAR leveling valve. Is it stuck?

Remember to be very very cautious around the suspension. A wrong move can injure or worse.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-11-2014

so after reading the tutorial it looks like i lower the left rear to 8 15/16" and that should raise the front right. then i raise the right rear to 8 15/16" and that should lower the front left. then i adjust the front overall height with the front adjustment arm to about 8". then i check the back again and play with it until it's about right, right?

oh- and try not to get crushed under the bus while i'm at it.

sounds like fun.

Glenn
Get a free night
@
www.TexasStarRVranch.com
Old 03-12-2014

Might be a good time to consider changing all three HCVs (Height Control Valves) while you have it blocked up. Inspect the HCVs and if you see an oily mess around the valves, pretty good chance it's time to change them out. Less than $50 each...and inspect and/or replace the linkage too.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 03-12-2014
Forum owner

Dick is right.
They do go bad,besides leaking.
I had one frozen in position,it would o raise or lower the coach,i only found it by taking it off.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-12-2014
RV Appraiser

I elected to have 2 replaced while at Q, Kevin Ridley bit the bullet and did the dirty deed. I had a spare and borrowed a second and had the 2 on the rear changed out. You can find them at NAPA or just about any truck parts house for under 50 bucks each. I ordered 2 off ebay for about $35 each.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_