Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:
View Poll Results: Some are having issues with this thread, help us by answering this poll
Close this thread 4 4.49%
Add a moderator to moderate all posts, before allowing it in this thread or moving it to a new one. 6 6.74%
Leave it as it is. 79 88.76%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg View Post
Yesterday I tried out my FOAM CANNON for the first time. It’s a blast, really. I used a $50 power washer I bought at a tool outlet as we head to WOG. I ordered the foam cannon from Autogeek in FL Sunday evening. Fed Ex delivered it to Pine Mountain yesterday. The pressure hose on the washer was only 20’ so it required some moving around of the unit which was a small pita but over all I think it’s a good thing and we’ll worth the $170 or so it all cost. I have a larger gasoline washer at home but this job really requires a small portable unit.
After hooking up the hoses and power cord you use 3 or 4 oz. of the concentrate to the bottle that comes with the cannon and then fill with water. I wet down one side and then shot that side with foam and then went back with plain water rinse. No brush or scrubbing. I did that side and both ends with one bottle. I used almost a full bottle on the other side.
The results of the foam cannon? With only moderate road grime, no scrubbing and first time use I’d say I was more than pleased. Compared to spending $3 per foot for a power wash with scrubbing I’d say the results were spectacular. It took a little time and $50 but the foam cannon itself should last the life of this owner. There is enough wash concentrate to do maybe 40-50 washes. And finally the $50 Ryobi power washer might last...anybody’s guess.
For a quick and easy while you’re on the road wash, you just can’t beat it.

Heres a little tip an old friend used to do.
He would fill his fresh tank at the rv park and then he would stop later in the day at a rest area and wash his coach,that night at the rv park he would fill his tanks again.
His little way to keep a clean coach.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-18-2018

A compendium since arriving at PM!
- finished fitting LED light strips in living/dining/kitchen in place of florescents
- LED clearance lights along sides (6)
- LED side turn repeaters (4)
- Made new pantry latch catch on cabinet, installed, cleaned both of these while out
- Watched the Safe-T-Plus guys fit a new one of those, test drove, adjusted
- messed with jacks and headlights, not done yet!

Still need to chase down the wiring for the fixture in the bath which has been removed and fit strips there, work in the bedroom, possibly fix jack solenoid tomorrow but I'm up and level at the moment! Life is good! Great to be here with like minded folks!
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 98k/22xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 10-19-2018

Sporlan valve went today so first I found where it was and then disassembled, found some white PVC shavings holding things up, cleaned up, reassembled and worked out good.

Quite a chore. Mine is in a very difficult spot, 2nd basement door back drivers side above both fresh water pumps and behind the filter and expansion tank I believe it is.
stuart@safcofoam.com
Old 10-20-2018

We finished our 1200 mile drive to our new little Casita in Lake Havasu City Arizona. We have a week here before we leave our Wanderlodge and drive home for another back surgery then come back down to paradise at the end of the year and "Q"..
Every time we take off for a long trip I worry about everyrhing for several 100.miles until I realize how smart we were to buy a Wanderlodge! She ran Like a swiss watch!
We also have to thank Randy for this great Bird and Mark Lauss and Ginger Lauss for talking us out of our comfort zone! ( Oregon)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	58398  
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."

Last edited by biobug; 10-21-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2018

Looks pretty John did you sell your place?
Old 10-21-2018

Nope. It did not happen.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 10-22-2018

Default Work on Silver Shadow

Shadow is new to us and has the usual collection of little things to tweak and refine. Upcoming events include the yearly service of the 8V92 engine - oil change, filters, possibly a coolant change, Generator service, and lube / cleaning of the leveling jacks.

Aside from routine periodic maintenance items like those listed, there are a few actual repairs needed by Shadow and I am getting started on them. The wastewater drain system needs some attention, the valves don't work by air pressure, but require a good tug to open. The black water valve leaks by a little bit, so I have ordered and received the parts to rebuild the air cylinders and replace the drain seal. In addition, the output fitting has one of the bayonets missing which makes the connection of the drain hose a more critical task than it should be. I have ordered and received a new output fitting and cap. The main awning aft support arm was attacked by a wayward Ent (not the doctor kind) and was removed by the PO. The aft end of the roller tube is tied to the goat rail with some safety wire, along with the Z-Catch lever being wired in place. I have ordered and received the hardware kit from Zip Dee for the awning.

The captain's chairs were covered with seat covers which were fairly worn, and the (original) seat belts were non-inertial retractor types which tightened each time we went over enough of a bump to compress the seat cushion. The net result was the belts getting tighter and tighter as we journeyed along. A set of non-retractable aircraft-style latch belts was ordered along with new seat covers (till we can work new seats into the budget).

Today, I retrieved Shadow from the storage lot ( a very undesirable temporary measure until I can get Retro's wheels back on the ground and move him back about 15-20 feet to make room for Shadow at home) and parked on the street in front of the house. I unpacked the ZipDee hardware kit and began puzzling the pieces together, but things did not seem to quite fit. I had the original hardware, but several of the pieces were bent out of shape (hence the need for replacements) so direct comparison was not possible, but I did determine that some of the pieces were shorter than the new ones and had holes in different places. I figured that BlueBird probably customized the parts originally to fit the needs of the coach. I sawed off a couple of inches and drilled another hole and the main arm was attachable! The rafter arm however looks like the casting which attaches to the headpiece (with the ZipDee logo on it) was installed 180 degrees out of phase (see picture) The flatter side of the casting faces away from the headpiece instead of being mountable flush to it. I will call ZipDee tomorrow and discuss the matter with them, I think I can probably just remove the rivet that holds the casting on and reverse the casting and either re-rivet or possibly use other hardware to attach it. For right now the main support arm is in place and I have not yet removed the safety wire which holds the roller up in position.

I also worked on the captain's chairs. I removed the original seatbelts and installed the new aircraft-style non-retractable belts with ridgid plastic sleeves so one does not have to reach all the way to the floor to grab the belt. I also installed the seat covers, but they are not very tight to the seats yet - I think I will get some of the miniature bungee cords to pull tension across the back of the cover and to connect the edges of the seat bottom cover to the underneath of the seat to pull it tight. I really do look forward to new chairs, but that's gonna cost about the same as a full tank of diesel, I am afraid!

When we took Shadow back to the storage lot, I used their dump facility to empty the tanks - luckily with very little mess - this is a step in preparation for the rebuild of the dump valves and actuators.

I think for the bulk of this week, available time will be spent on Retro. I have two small ( 4-6 inch ) sections of heater hose to replace for the rear heater run, then re-install both fuel tanks after assembling new senders and fuel pickups, two new fuel pumps and then connecting the new alternator adjust the belts and then re-install the fans and radiator (possibly swing but maybe not right now - time is very short). I generally do not get much "dirty" work time lately, have to work on relatively smallish and hopefully clean projects which does not describe what Retro needs.

The plan is to take Shadow on a 3-4 day shakedown camp in King City Ca. early in November. Full hookups, but actually setting up camp and living in the coach more than just sleeping / eating TV dinners while transiting from Utah on the purchase trip home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearArm.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	58421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181021_144525496.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	58422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181021_144346508.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	58423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181021_162431036.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	58424  
1988 PT 40 "Silver Shadow"
88 Jeep Cherokee "Indy"

Last edited by JMorton; 10-22-2018 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorton View Post
The rafter arm however looks like the casting which attaches to the headpiece (with the ZipDee logo on it) was installed 180 degrees out of phase (see picture) The flatter side of the casting faces away from the headpiece instead of being mountable flush to it. I will call ZipDee tomorrow and discuss the matter with them, I think I can probably just remove the rivet that holds the casting on and reverse the casting and either re-rivet or possibly use other hardware to attach it.
Just a newbie here but also just a thought.
It looks like there is a raised area in the inside of the new casting. Is that also on the back of the old casting?
If yes I would wonder if the old casting is on backwards and the raised area is supposed to act as a stop for the arm to set against. Possibly the old casting was actually on backwards all this time? Or maybe had been replaced at some point with a front arm out of necessity?
The PO might be able to shed some light?
It would be interesting to know what ZIPDEE says.
Love your new ride. Congrats.
Jeff
Old 10-22-2018

Yes, there is a raised gusset cast into the back side of the original casting. I will be calling ZipDee today and asking Nate about it. I will post the info I get - along with more pictures, otherwise, I didn't really fix it, right?
88 Jeep Cherokee "Indy"
Old 10-22-2018

Smile

Quick update:. The newer version rafter arm connects to the roller axle rather than bolting to the headpiece. This makes sense to me and I think everything will go together easily. I will not be able to do the installation till next weekend, I will take pictures and post them along with another of my walls of text.
88 Jeep Cherokee "Indy"