Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-14-2015

Default Straight Exhaust Pipes in a Heavy Rain

As mentioned in my thread about the torn front slide awning, Van and I were in a situation with high wind and driving rain last Saturday night. The rear of our coaches were facing into the wind. Both of our coaches have straight exhaust pipes with no system for draining water. We were concerned that we might have water in our engines. Since water does not compress easily, we worried we might tear up our engines. I had the preheat circuit on for 3-4 hours before starting up. Van watched my exhaust when I started the engine to see if there was any sign of entrained water. Van saw nothing and the engine ran fine all the way home. Van was leaving the next day and I assume he had no problems either. Maybe we were lucky. I'm going to come up with some way to better protect against this in future!
1984 FC35 SB Wanderlodge II (sold)
Old 12-14-2015
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Is this what you are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
I live in a place that normally is quite wet, although last year was an exception as the California drought extended this far north. So far this season we are double-normal on rainfall, although past experience says you can't tell anything from month-to-month. In any case, my solution is shown below. It is a 2-gallon food-grade bucket, with the handle replaced by a bungee cord. That cord is passed through a large carabiner which in turn is attached through a vent hole next to the pipe. A couple of knots in the cord got it to the right tension/length.

A piece of tape over the ignition keyhole makes a good reminder that the cover is on.

Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-14-2015

When I changed my old muffler to the Magna flow, and it was in good condition, the drain that was installed was plugged up with bits of rust. Not sure it was doing what it was meant to do. Bucket probably the safest.
Old 12-15-2015

Default Water in the Exhaust

This last fall Penny and I were holed up in Ft Walton Beach, Florida. We experienced about 24 hours of driving rain. I had Redlands RV replace our stock muffler with the "don bradner-magnaflo".... Had a great 90 degree bend, however the driving rain was going sideways...

Went to leave and proceed on...... tried to start the engine.... no joy. Engine would turn and then stop..... turn and then stop.... turn and then stop. I thought I had a starter failure..... asked penny to call for a mobile mechanic... I kept at it and then the start procedure changed.... stumbled and then stumbled and then cranked.... no start, but encouraging.... finally engine started and stuttered and then caught. I'm sure I had water down in the pipe, and maybe in the turbo, and maybe in the heads..... diesel was diluted.... I dodged a big one....

So , My advice is if you are in a driving rain, and you have no protection over your exhaust, and you have no drain in your muffler.....hope for evaporation before your attempt to start.
OC BIRD
Old 12-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBERIC35 View Post
...there was any sign of entrained water. Van saw nothing and the engine ran fine all the way home. Van was leaving the next day and I assume he had no problems either. Maybe we were lucky. I'm going to come up with some way to better protect against this in future!
Before attempting a start later that afternoon, I too let the Engine Pre-Heat cook for several hours. Perhaps that helped us both? Thankfully, the engine started immediately. I then rushed outside to check the exhaust but it was "clear" and the engine ran strong today. I suspect letting it sit over night or any longer with whatever water made it into the exhaust would've had a bad effect. Eric and I were both lucky. In the future I'll use my jug end-cap whenever parked & rain is even a remote possibility. Lesson learned
Old 12-15-2015

I don't need no stinkin' bucket
See, Wilbur, exhaust out the bottom do gots some advantages
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 12-15-2015
Forum owner

A few years ago Carol and I had a 95WB (deceased)and we were all packed up to go somewhere,we were still at the Archer house at that time.

It rained hard that night,and the next morning i tried to start the S-60 and it locked up,would not turn.

I got a big wrench and i could turn the engine backward,but not forward.
Water down the pipe.

So,i went and got my shop vac,got it up on the bus roof,dropped the hose down the muffler as far as i could,then turned the vac on and left it for an hour.

I turned the engine backwards with my wrench every few minutes,and then forward,after an hour the engine would turn free.
The vac had about a gal of water in it.
Fired up and away i go.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-15-2015

Would a big rig exhaust rain cap help?

http://pipefittingsdirect.com/Exhaus...0.htm?page=all

1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 12-16-2015
Chuck

Thumbs down

I don't think the cap is a good idea. I have had them blow open and help rain get in the exhaust pipe. Also the pictured cap only works in the pictured position and will not work in the 90 degree angle. I think the best fix would be the bottom exhaust as mentioned above, I would like to see the pictures also. QUOTE=bwinter1946;322394]Would a big rig exhaust rain cap help?

http://pipefittingsdirect.com/Exhaus...0.htm?page=all

[/QUOTE]
Old 12-16-2015
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSS View Post
I don't need no stinkin' bucket
See, Wilbur, exhaust out the bottom do gots some advantages
Any pictures?