Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 10-01-2017

Default Do I have an airbag(s) going out?

Hi All,

Since we got back from the Eclipse, we've not driven our '91 SP36, so it has sat for a little over a month. As my father would say, it seems to be "leaning towards Kelly's". We dump the suspension whenever we park, but as I let it sit out in front of the house overnight, one side is definitely lower than the others.

In the rear, I measured 44.5" on the curb side from the ground to the bottom of the fender flare and 42.5" on the road side. In the front it was 42.5" on the curb side and 41.5" on the road side.

Some quick pics showing what I mean:

And the one confirming I'm sure I've got an issue:

When I started it yesterday, I did hear air leaking up front. I crawled around just a scoshe and I have a feeling there is a fitting that will need to be sorted out or the like, but wondered if anyone had any immediate insight.

Thanks as always!
Old 10-01-2017

I've just been letting her run for about 15 minutes (as I created the post) and she is close to leveling out, but I definitely am hearing a leak. I've got a leak that has come back for the retractable step, but I don't think that is related.
Old 10-01-2017

I am not quite clear on the symptoms so let me ask a couple questions and state a couple facts.

When the bus is aired up it is reasonably level but when dumped it has a lean???? Correct???
If this IS correct, a likely cause is bad or crushed bump stops, which are inside the air bags.

It has to run 15 min to air up Correct????
If this is correct you likely have air leaks that need to be addressed.

The above are two separate issues
The step may be part of the second issue.

The air pressure gauge has 2 needles (2 gauges in one) One is for the front air (brakes) and one is for the rear air (brakes) the 3rd air system (aux air) runs everything else including the suspension but has NO guage. After start up, until both front and rear brake air get over 70psi you will have NO AUX AIR!
Birdless for now!
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 10-01-2017

If you have a leaning problem, it is probably a rear height control valve. But seeing a lean after sitting for a time probably means you have an air leak, which we all have! Level after airing up, no problem with height control valve.
If you have an air bag leak, you will know it. The air leak will be tremendous.

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 10-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp View Post
I am not quite clear on the symptoms so let me ask a couple questions and state a couple facts.

When the bus is aired up it is reasonably level but when dumped it has a lean???? Correct???
If this IS correct, a likely cause is bad or crushed bump stops, which are inside the air bags.

It has to run 15 min to air up Correct????
If this is correct you likely have air leaks that need to be addressed.

The above are two separate issues
The step may be part of the second issue.

The air pressure gauge has 2 needles (2 gauges in one) One is for the front air (brakes) and one is for the rear air (brakes) the 3rd air system (aux air) runs everything else including the suspension but has NO guage. After start up, until both front and rear brake air get over 70psi you will have NO AUX AIR!
On the SP there is a gauge for the aux air systems in the sewer dump bay. Like Randy said the gauge(s) you show have nothing to do with your air bags or step, but you do have a leak in one of your brake systems.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 10-01-2017

You definitely have a leak in your front air brake system as shown by your Green Needle. The green needle is your front brake pressure reading (the green needle is in FRONT of the Rear, Red needle). Every air brake system leaks a little air over time but not that bad in 24 hours. My air system will usually leak down to about 90 psi after being parked for a few days.

David & Nicole Stokes
Atlanta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677
Old 10-01-2017

As always, you guys rock and have answered some of my questions.

To further clarify, the "leaning" is if I leave it aired up overnight and come back out- not when dumped.

When driving, no worries, all is well as it tracks, looks, acts just fine. The pressure stays pretty much spot on with each other and stays at about 120 psi. I use the retarder pretty much exclusively for braking, but am well aware of the "danger zone" for pressures.

And now knowing which needle on the gauge was for front and rear, that's a big help.

The good news is that it looks like this isn't an air bag leak. I can hear the air "leaking" while the bus is running in the front end and I think I just need to crawl under there and pinpoint it.

I am positive I have a leak in the step, and I think it's a pressure switch, and know exactly where it is, I've just not taken the time to address as I didn't think it critical, but this one is different and up front.

The air system as a whole will get up to pressure and then slowly bleed off before a switch must flip and it makes a loud sound like a blow off valve. I'm assuming this is normal?

Otherwise, the good news is that this isn't necessarily a safety issue or indicative of something larger, which I'm always making sure is the case since this is used to travel with the family and brakes are not over rated.
Old 10-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBianca View Post

Otherwise, the good news is that this isn't necessarily a safety issue or indicative of something larger, which I'm always making sure is the case since this is used to travel with the family and brakes are not over rated.
If I had a air leak in a brake system that I could hear with the engine running I would consider it a safety issue and should be addressed.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 10-01-2017
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBianca View Post
As always, you guys rock and have answered some of my questions.

To further clarify, the "leaning" is if I leave it aired up overnight and come back out- not when dumped.

When driving, no worries, all is well as it tracks, looks, acts just fine. The pressure stays pretty much spot on with each other and stays at about 120 psi. I use the retarder pretty much exclusively for braking, but am well aware of the "danger zone" for pressures.

And now knowing which needle on the gauge was for front and rear, that's a big help.

The good news is that it looks like this isn't an air bag leak. I can hear the air "leaking" while the bus is running in the front end and I think I just need to crawl under there and pinpoint it.

I am positive I have a leak in the step, and I think it's a pressure switch, and know exactly where it is, I've just not taken the time to address as I didn't think it critical, but this one is different and up front.

The air system as a whole will get up to pressure and then slowly bleed off before a switch must flip and it makes a loud sound like a blow off valve. I'm assuming this is normal?

"I think I just need to crawl under there and pinpoint it". Hopefully you mean after you have the coach properly supported!

Working under there puts you at SERIOUS risk of being crushed if the coach is not PROPERLY supported (leveling jacks are NOT proper support).
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 10-01-2017

Ooh, got it guys and thanks again. I do get a bit nervous when I've been under there before and I suppose for the system that hold the 25k lbs off the ground being what is at issue, perhaps I should get some jacks under there.