Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 05-22-2009

Default Safety Warning - please read

We've been camping for several days with electric hookup, but no water/sewer hookup. We thought we smelled sewer gases, we were sure of it - no doubt due to semi-dry camping. It was stronger by the kitchen sink. On our coach, kitchen sink and toilet feed to the black tank. I was convinced the air vacumn breaker under the kitchen sink was stuck open, and venting odor into the kitchen area.

It was not a sewer fume leak, it was a propane leak. The stove knob was on slightly, ignitor off. Stove top cover was on. Windows open and roof vent on, so it was dragging propane up and out, **not sinking to floor level to set off propane alarm sensor and auto tank cutoff**.

The smell, and the propane "cloud" never built up strongly due to open windows and roof vents powered on. It smelled like sewer, not propane. We are not hooked to water nor sewer for several days so we "assumed" it was sewer smell.

I did a search on the net, and found a post just like this one, from 2008 on escapees website. Reading the post allowed me to find the propane from the stove before we closed most windows and cut the fans for bed. I am "assuming" with windows closed most of the way and fans off, the propane would have sunk to floor level, set off the alarm, and closed the propane safety valve - but who knows?

Keep this in mind - I certainly will.
Old 05-22-2009

Nice heads up Dan.

I am very glad you two are all right!!
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad