Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-12-2018

Just a WAG, I have my Aux tank pressure set at around 80#, I think what you’re describing is how the system is supposed to work, try dialing down your Aux tank pressure..using the left pressure regulator in the 2nd roadside bay..
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 09-12-2018

The Pumptrol switch is a Square D 9013FHG42M1X. It's marked 125psi. According to the manual, the off pressure is as marked, at 125 psi and rotating the nut on the large spring three turns will change the set pressure for both on and off by 10 psi. Tightening the nut increases the pressures. The differential is not adjustable and the small spring should not be touched. The nut on it is locked in place.

Although not marked, from some info I read, I believe the differential pressure is 40psi. IOW, the pump will come on at 0 psi, climb to 125 psi and shut off, then come on again when the pressure drops to 85 psi. (I haven't checked those numbers and the differential may be something other than 40 psi).

My problem may simply be that my pump can't quite get to 125 psi, as needed to shut off, or someone may have turned up the cutoff to a pressure above 125 psi.

I'll test it tomorrow.

Last edited by RVinCT; 09-13-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
Just a WAG, I have my Aux tank pressure set at around 80#, I think what you’re describing is how the system is supposed to work, try dialing down your Aux tank pressure..using the left pressure regulator in the 2nd roadside bay..
I haven't even seen those regulators yet, but I suspect that they just control the pressure released into the system from the main tank. If so, turning down the regulated pressure won't help the compressor, which will still try to bring the main tank up to the pressure set by the Pumptrol. I'll lower the Pumptrol setting first, then set the regulator as you've recommended.
Old 09-12-2018

There are 2 regulators in the 2nd roadside bay, behind a panel on the right, the first controls the aux tank pressure, the right controls slide seal pressure. I have the left set at 80#, and the right around 20#. The aux tank only exists, at least while parked, on shore power to provide air as needed to the slide seal, and is pressurized by either the 120v aux compressor, or the 12v compressor. While parked, my dash aux pump switch is on, and the 120v compressor runs occasionally, keeping my slide seal inflated.
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 09-13-2018

George Morris told me that the 120vac compressor is plumbed into the same tank as the engine compressor and that the 12v compressor is plumbed into an aux tank, which is the tank in LB1 with both compressors. Is that LB1 tank the auxiliary tank you are referring to? He said the 12v function is just to hold the seals at pressure, but the 120 can do anything the engine can do. If that's right, I'm still not sure where the crossover is between engine/120vac pressure and 12v/aux tank pressure (as would be needed for both to keep the seals inflated). Do you know if the 120vac and the engine compressor keep that front LB1 tank filled?

Sorry if that's a bit confused sounding.
Old 09-13-2018

With engine running the 120v would be off, I doubt the engine compressor keeps LB1 pressurized.
Scenario 1. My bus
Coach Master on
Dump switch in Dump position
Aux pump switch on
Pressure regulator set to 80#
Aux pump runs when pressure drops below 75# and runs till it hits 80#, Aux compressor shuts down.
Scenario 2
Master switch on
Dump switch off
Aux pump switch on
The Aux pump now will now inflate the air bags bringing the coach up to ride height, or Aux pump switch off, start engine, and engine compressor will inflate air bags.
Hope this helps.
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 09-13-2018

Yes, that helps. Thanks.

So here is where I am now.

I backed off the Pumptrol on the 120 v compressor by 9 turns. That should lower its setting by 30 psi, but I still could not get the Pumptrol to turn off the 120v compressor. I'm going to have to pull the Pumptrol and clean it or replace it, then test it.

Meanwhile, I pulled off the air manifold cover. The main regulator was set to 100 psi and the sight glass below it was leaking air. The right regulator was showing 25 psi, but the knob was cranked to maximum. I had to turn it all the way to the lowest setting, dump the air, then increase it slowly to 18 psi.

Does anyone know how to remove the left higher pressure regulator? Or better, how to remove the polycarb sight glass below it? It seems to be leaking on the left side top of that glass where it screws into the body of the regulator.

Also, pressure dropped to zero overnight (not surprising), I heard an air leak in the engine battery compartment (probably the regulator leak sound), and the alarm in the compressor compartment started up again the minute I started the 120vac compressor. I'm still not sure what that alarm is signaling, but I'll wait until all the leaks are fixed and hope it goes away.

Last edited by RVinCT; 09-13-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2018

Releasing the adjustment screw by about 10 turns caused the Pumptrol to shut off. Then as pressure dropped it turned back on. My estimate is it was set nearly 150 psi!

The alarm: AFAICT, the alarm is coming from the Pumptrol. It sounds exactly like a piezoelectric buzzer to me, but it still is sounding when there is no electric connection to the Pumptrol! It's either the diaphragm making the wierd buzz on buzz off buzz on sound, or I've misidentified where the noise is coming from.

The air dryer purge valve is leaking after it purges. With it leaking, I can't build pressure above 105 psi. I've seen a manual on Bendix air dryers, so maybe I can figure out how to replace the purge valve.

Last edited by RVinCT; 09-13-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2018

sounds like progress! Excellent.

If you'd be open to taking pictures of the various items, it'd really help someone (probably me!!) in the future.

Thank you, Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 09-13-2018

Consider rebuilding or replacing the air dryer.
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats