Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 10-13-2019

Default 2001 LX radiator and CAC

I just bought this coach, it hasnt had any maintenance done in atleast 5 years as it has sat in a storage lot, it made the 2700 mile journey back to ohio from california with no issues other then a dead battery from me leaving the lights on over night at a truck stop. Im worried about the age of the radiator, hoses and CAC. I plan on putting some miles on this coach with my family and dont want to be broke down on the side of a highway with an antifreeze leak. Has anyone here removed the radiator/cac? It looks as if it may have to come out through the bottom of coach? I cant seem to find a youtube video of anyone doing it yet!

Thanks in advance, James
Old 10-13-2019
Forum owner

I take the rad/cac stack out the back,take the bumper off and i use a forklift.
I work alone mostly and thats the easy way for me to do it.
On the 2001 you may be able to take it out the bottom,the lower rad mounts on the 98-2000 were huck bolted in place,a torch is required to remove huck bolts.
Some (maybe all) 2001s had regular bolts holding those mounts in place,so they are removable.
I don't think one man could take the stack out through the bottom,so i would look at going out the back,
There is 2 threads about doing the job,one thread was mine.
Did you search here on wog?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-13-2019
Forum owner

go here.
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=33108

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-14-2019

I don't think the Rad/CAC will come out the back on an LX. I had this problem a couple of years ago. The rear cap is different on the LX than the LXI. It is more narrow at the engine opening. It wraps around with the tail lights. My Rad/CAC came out the bottom with fork lift. It may be able to come out the side but it wasn't done that way on mine.
turnkey1949@gmail.com
Old 10-14-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnkey View Post
I don't think the Rad/CAC will come out the back on an LX. I had this problem a couple of years ago. The rear cap is different on the LX than the LXI. It is more narrow at the engine opening. It wraps around with the tail lights. My Rad/CAC came out the bottom with fork lift. It may be able to come out the side but it wasn't done that way on mine.
My bad!
I didnt notice it was an LX,i think Johns right,the body is different.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-14-2019

Default lx vs lxi

thanks for the reply Randy, I did see that thread but it didnt help me much as the LX has a different engine cover from the LXi. The LXi the entire rear of the coach flips open, allowing what looks to be good access to the radiator and CAC. I have attached pictures of both so you can see. The radiator support does look to be bolts which will atleast make it a little easier for me. It looks like I am going to have to dig a hole in my yard so I can drop the radiator out the bottom, either that or find a cheap lift that will lift my coach up 4ft. I have 4 forklifts but they are all 5k models.. wont help me much with a 45k Coach! Has anyone used the leveling jacks to get the coach 4ft off the ground with blocks a few inches at a time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lxi rear.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	64657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	64659  
Old 10-14-2019

Check your bus again a little closer. On my 96 BMC it didn’t look like the radiator was easily accessible at first glance but closer inspection revealed that it was indeed very easy to remove.

I used the jacks to lift the rear as high as possible. Block up with cribbage or use support stands Do not rely on hydraulic jacks alone for support. Disconnect the Louver lift supports and rotate louvers as high as possible and tie off to goat rails or rafters etc. Remove all the shrouds, CAC etc. Shrouds came out in about 3-4 bolted together sections Oil cooler lines could remain connected and will just drop down and pivot under the engine. Put a Harbor Freight ATV/ MC lift under the radiator and remove all hoses etc. Lower the radiator as far as possible and roll it out of its cubby hole.

Removal of CAC and it’s big air horns was like a puzzle that needed to be worked through a hole but it’s pretty light and can be turned at an angle to allow removal.

Be careful and watch your toes. That radiator is big and heavy. Having help is good but can be done solo if needed.

Digging a hole is a good idea but I would be very sure it was needed before committing to that plan. Much better IMHO than trying to lift the bus 4 feet up in the air.
If that was my plan, I would dig the hole at the edge of my concrete and back the rear of the bus over the hole.
I once saw some guys changing the engine on a combine with the machine sitting in about a five or six foot deep hole. It was just about perfect when they backed the pickup tailgate up to the side of the machine. Just be careful and don’t drop any tools down in the muck

I realize a BMC is different but hopefully this will give you some good ideas to get the process started.

Max.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift

Last edited by max hendrix; 10-14-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 4 Days Ago

Default Leaky bottom tank?

Thanks all. I moved the coach from the storage yard yesterday and brought it home to the new pad.

I get up today and have a slow drip from the bottom area of the rad. The dealer had the radiator recored when I bought it. Told me he 'take care of it'. Anyway, The core is new, but the bottom tank is rusty with a nice shiny coat of black spray paint on it. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if they will own up to it since I only took it on it's first trip (WOG) and it did this.

I saw the hard line at the bottom and it's rusty too (everything is rusty on my coach). I like to replace it. Anybody have a source for it or do I have to weld up a stainless steel replacement from stock.

I have gallons of rust converter and a coating to try to treat the frame. That on my list once the garage goes up in January.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rad2 back looking foward.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	65197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rad bottm leak.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	65198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rad3 side looking under.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	65199  
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835

Last edited by ChrisRasman; 4 Days Ago at 01:52 PM.
Old 4 Days Ago
ANOTHER REDNECK

serious salt rust!!!!!!

wow hope they help you
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 4 Days Ago

Thanks, I got to get moving on the rest of the chassis. I didn’t get off cheap on the coach either.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835