Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-11-2009

Default what is this control??

While adding my trailer brake control, I found an interesting handle under the dash, to the left of the drivers left knee. It is an air control valve of some sort. After asking our parts man, he says it is typically a valve used for air trailre brakes, to lock the brakes. I'm assuming it has another use on the bird. When the lever is moved and put back into original place, you can hear a small air hissing noice somewhere.

Any ideas??

Adam
Old 07-11-2009

Tilt steering wheel lock?....Thats where mine is...just to the right of the jake brake switch.
1961 Jaguar Mk2
2004 Durango 4wd Toad
2010 Mazda CX9
Old 07-11-2009

Could Adam be talking about the trans retarder lever?

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 07-11-2009

My steering ajust lever is horizontal on the left side of the column. This lever is closer to the side of the bus. The retarder has a switch and appears to work off the brake pedal. I'm not saying that it might be some sort of control for the strength of the retarder? I'm honestly not a big retarder fan, I wish the coach had jakes instead.
Old 07-11-2009

If the lever you are talking about has a black know and moves up and down in a vertical motion, it's the retarder control. Yes, it controls the amount of retarder action in the trans. The switch on the dash engages the retarder, but the lever controls the amount

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 07-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvoekars View Post
My steering ajust lever is horizontal on the left side of the column. This lever is closer to the side of the bus. The retarder has a switch and appears to work off the brake pedal. I'm not saying that it might be some sort of control for the strength of the retarder? I'm honestly not a big retarder fan, I wish the coach had jakes instead.
If you are interested in a Jake Brake, I know a couple guys that have Jake Brakes for sale. Email me privately and I'll get the information to you. curtsprenger@gmail.com
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 07-11-2009

Thanks Don, that must be it. I'll have to try it the next time I take the coach out. As I said, I'm not a big retarder fan. On seated coaches, retarders are the #1 reason for trans to fail. Our Allison guy rebuilts several a year for us, and he always recomends that we disconect the retarders. On a motorhome driven by one driver, who knows to really watch the temp, they are probably OK, but commercial drivers will really cook them.

Adam