Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-22-2009

Wink Got the cover

Thanks to Slim, I got the cover. Chris is right that the left and right are not interchangable.

I decided to put the new cover on the right side and modify my old one for the left side. I discovered that the new one is slightly different than the old one. First the end next to the generator sticks out about a 1/4 of an inch and that would need to be trimed in order to close the generator compartment. Then I noticed it was about 1/4 inch shy of going around the corner and to the end. I took it off and the attachment bolts are about 1/4 inch different than the old one. So I put the old right hand cover back on the right side and have decided to modify the new one for the left side.

I put it on and it fit the left the same as it fit the right side. Too long towards the generator and too short around the corner. Who ever put the left one on, really made a mess of the holes. It will definately look better than a broke one and the lights line up perfectly. I think if I trim the bottom corner and redrill the fastener holes farther to the side of the coach, I may be able to get it to turn the corner to where it is acceptable. The top lip is a little wider than the bottom lip, but by shaving it, I think it may just work. I was told that a hair dryer may allow me to adjust it some for a better fit.

I put this on hold until I can get someone with a better eye to look it over before I start cutting, drilling, and modifying. But even if I don't modify it and just bolt it on, it will look better than nothing.

I will attempt to take some before and after pictures if I can ever figure out how to put them in these pages.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 11-22-2009
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmar View Post
On my way to Orlando, running from the hurricane, my drivers side bumper/headlight cover blew off. We stopped and got what was left of it, but it is heavily damaged and I could not find the lenses that went in the 3 holes.

Where can I find a replacement or can this be duplicated.

The lights are fine, it just this flimsy plastic cover that BB decided to use.

One eyed LXI

Richard
When I heard that your headlight cover blew off, I first assumed you was speaking about the clear cover. When I realized you was saying your whole bumper/cover blew off, I crawled under and checked mine to see if they were secured properly. Mine are fastened with 4 nylon threaded
T-handles that cinches up the bolts on the cover. They had worked themselves very loose and 2 were nearing the end of the threads.

I suspect that is why your bumper/cover blew off. Any coach owner with the same setup should check those fasteners for tightness.

Also, Richard, if your old cover is just broken and you have a large portion of the pieces, you may find that it is simply easier to have it repaired and repainted at a good auto body shop and use the lenses out of the new cover from Slim.
Old 12-01-2009

Default pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	bluebird 001.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	753.8 KB
ID:	3496

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 12-01-2009

Below is a picture of my bird with the Passenger side head light cover flipped upside down, adjusted and installed. As you can see, it looks a lot better.

Name:	bluebird 003.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	461.7 KB
ID:	3497

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 12-01-2009

I think I am finally getting the hang of picture insertion. Here is the side view. As you see, it does not quite wrap far enough around. When I put it on the other side, I had the same problem, because the studs were glued too far in. We attempted to redrill holes, but ran out of surface to drill.

It is not perfect, but it is a lot better than the alternative.

Name:	bluebird 004.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	3499

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 12-01-2009
davidmbrady

Richard,

Looks good. I don't think the average person would notice any difference. Way to go.
Old 12-01-2009

Richard, glad it worked for you. Had mine off this summer to replace the 3M.
At the time I felt they may work for either side, especially in a pinch. Again anyone owning a LX or LXI with these covers need to keep close watch on them, they are held in place with glue. Mine now have a SS flat head bolt on the lower inside corner, velcro top and side to help secure them. They don't fit as tight as before but I have more faith they will stay in place.
Old 12-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmar View Post
I think I am finally getting the hang of picture insertion. Here is the side view. As you see, it does not quite wrap far enough around. When I put it on the other side, I had the same problem, because the studs were glued too far in. We attempted to redrill holes, but ran out of surface to drill.

It is not perfect, but it is a lot better than the alternative.

Attachment 3499

Good job Richard, your right, It looks a lot better than what you had.
Old 12-01-2009
Donny Goodwin

In place of the lexan covers I designed a stainless steel panel with 2 circular holes cut out. The lights shine through great. Can not figure how to attach picture. If interested I could send to your E mail
Old 12-02-2009

OK Donny, lets see what you've got slimsomerville@comcast.net