Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-10-2010

Default MOUNTIAN driving

OK guys... this is going to be a dumb ? but I have to ask it... Mac and I are on White Sands Missile Range for the next 4 or 5 days... we have been up and over hills but not MOUNTAINS... I was on US 70 and noticed a climb coming up... I hit it at 65mph and by the time I hit the top I was at 40mph and had dropped to 3rd gear... problem was I had to go down... I had my jake brake on and it worked fine but still sped faster that I liked... would someone give me advice of going down MOUNTAINS... can I down shift with the pad to the gear I took the hill at... will it over rev???... I would let it speed up and use the foot brake to slow me down about 5 mph's at a time but then I could smell the brakes,,, I have to get out of here in a few days... anyone got any help

thanks
"Heads Carolina, Tails California"
Old 02-10-2010

Come down the hill in the same gear or one lower than it climbed the hill at.

I use engine brake only until revs rise to close to rpm red line, then use service brakes (still w engine brake on) to lower rpm, let off the brakes to cool them - repeat cycle until at bottom of hill.

You can use the trans keypad to manually downshift whether while climbing or descending. I manually gear down before the descent starts. I have a Pac Brake on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERay View Post
OK guys... this is going to be a dumb ? but I have to ask it... Mac and I are on White Sands Missile Range for the next 4 or 5 days... we have been up and over hills but not MOUNTAINS... I was on US 70 and noticed a climb coming up... I hit it at 65mph and by the time I hit the top I was at 40mph and had dropped to 3rd gear... problem was I had to go down... I had my jake brake on and it worked fine but still sped faster that I liked... would someone give me advice of going down MOUNTAINS... can I down shift with the pad to the gear I took the hill at... will it over rev???... I would let it speed up and use the foot brake to slow me down about 5 mph's at a time but then I could smell the brakes,,, I have to get out of here in a few days... anyone got any help

thanks
Old 02-10-2010
Gardner

One other piece of advice, go slowly down the hill. It takes an incredable amount of braking to slow a bird down going down hill, the slower you go the less likley you will smoke the brakes.

I smoked mine once when my retarder quit. Trying to slow from 45 to 35 and cooling off wasn't working. The coach accelerated way too fast on the steep grade and I had to cycle between braking and coasting way too frequently. Take it slow
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-10-2010

Like Dan, I try to come down in the same gear I went up or one gear lower. However, on my most recent trip home I had to come down the north bound lanes of I-5 on the Grapevine in Sounthern California. This road is 5+ miles of a 6 percent downgrade. I have come down it before but on this last trip I was in no mood to run 50+ down the hill so I used the Pac Brake and second gear. I was able to maintain a 35-45 MPH range while occasionally using my brakes. No hot brakes and no high blood pressure. Much more relaxing for me.

Lee when I turn on my Pac Brake the transmission preselects 2nd gear in the left window dispaly does yours?
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 02-10-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERay View Post
OK guys... I had my jake brake on and it worked fine but still sped faster that I liked... would someone give me advice of going down MOUNTAINS...
thanks
If you have a 2 or 3 stage Jake, you may have had the selector button set on high(2cyl) which may not have been sufficient to slow your speed enough. Factory setting should have also shifted the tranny to 4th gear. Try setting the Jake on medium(4cyl) ( middle position on the button next to the Jake on /off button) when you start down the hill. If the Jake still does not slow you sufficiently, select low (6Cyl), That should about put your nose to the windshield. If not, something is wrong with your 3 stage Jake. I am presuming you have a 2 or 3 stage Jake but maybe you don't.
Old 02-10-2010
Forum owner

start off slower and you should never have to touch your brakes,the jake is awesome.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-10-2010

Eddie,

You've got a Cummins, don't you? Given that, you probably don't have a Jake, but more likely an exhaust or Pacbrake. These are less effective than a Jake, but still WAY better than nothing. I don't believe you have stages to the Pac, it's either on or off. I'm pretty sure you can preselect a gear on the pad and the computer will not allow a downshift until it's relatively safe to do so. The key will be downshifting as you crest the hill before you start down. That will prevent picking up as much speed initially. I tend to get on the brakes pretty hard slowing down to at least 5 mph below where I want to be. This kind of gives me a 10 mph window (5 over to 5 under) to work in. I would sacrifice the brakes if need be. They're cheap compared to the alternative, as long as I've got them at the bottom!

Great question, by the way. This is definitely a topic that needs discussion. We can all gain knowledge from other's experiences here.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 02-10-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Eddie,

You've got a Cummins, don't you? Given that, you probably don't have a Jake, but more likely an exhaust or Pacbrake. These are less effective than a Jake, but still WAY better than nothing.
Great question, by the way. This is definitely a topic that needs discussion. We can all gain knowledge from other's experiences here.
Hi John,

I was in a 2000 LX the other day. It had a 450 Cummins and a 3 stage Jake.

Chuck
Old 02-10-2010

ISX or IXM versis 8.3. Not the same family of engines at all. C brake, or Jake brake is available for the 1st family but exhaust brake only for the 5.9/8.3
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
ISX or IXM versis 8.3. Not the same family of engines at all. C brake, or Jake brake is available for the 1st family but exhaust brake only for the 5.9/8.3
How does the C brake work, is it similar to the Jake?