Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-31-2008
Administrator

Thanks Leroy,

For all your help on this issue, I will be installing a new hot water tank this Summer, and this will be a good time to do some plumbing.
I have had trouble with the three way air valve used to purge the Hot water tank, this could be another place for water to enter. Possibly may need two ball valves...????...
I placed a drawing of a plumbing system in the files,

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/wanderlodge/files/

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YO7wR8N...r%20%20Drawing

Do you have a part number for the ball valve??
Did you install, cut and splice it into the black thin air tubing????
Old 03-31-2008

My system is set up where the nylon air line from the switch to the check valve which is attached to the regulator air intake side, then the ball valve is connected with 1/4 inch copper line to the sanitizer. I am going to try to attach photo. If it does not work I will put it in my personal file under photos. The ball valve is brass, I think 3/8 reduced to 1/4 to fit the nylon, now copper line. Any good hardware store should have one. Mine has a single point purge. I would, as you say, install a second at the water heater.

I cannot get the photo to attach to this e-mail or get it to upload in the photo's section. So, no photo.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker

Last edited by jwasnewski; 03-31-2008 at 11:41 AM. Reason: add info
Old 04-03-2008

Smile Water purge valve

This is Jim Barone, 1991 WLWB currently in Seguin Texas...Here is the rest of the story. If you have a water purge valve on your coach and are sitting with no air pressure and do have water pressure you are at risk for having water enter the air system. We left Tubac Arizona Tues. morning. Forty miles to Tucson and my tag axel would not pressurize and my steps would not retract. I went to SW truck service in Tucson where the knowledgable mechanic quicky drained the control unit for the tag axel and drained all of the air tanks. Everything works fine now. Charged 1/2 hour labor..about $60 and sent me on my way...Take a look at the check valve in your
water purge system...Thanks for everyones help...LeRoy, you analyzed dead nuts. Jim Barone currently in Seguin Texas, heading for Ocean City, Maryland
Old 05-04-2008
Administrator

Hi Jim and Leroy,

I think this is a serious issue, even more so, if you experience freezing temps. traveling or in storage.

So what is the recommended solution:
Abandon the air purge system, replace the check valve, or replace with new, or add an additional valve,
Would the valve be added to the nylon, plastic tubing????
Old 05-04-2008

I have a small ball valve after the check valve that has been installed. In my opinion the purge air system is not needed because it is only used to blow out residual water in the lines when winterizing. This past winter I simply drained the system, left the low point hose bib in the propane bay open and no problems. I did replace the nylon lines under the bed with 1/4" copper on my coach. That is the wet line from the top of the sanitizer to the ball valve. I so not like those press to fit nylon lines which are everywhere on the bus. An interior "O" ring is what keeps them from leaking. I suspect expansion and contraction can cause issues with these lines, especially in winter.
What is your email address , I will send a photo of mine.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 05-04-2008
Administrator

Thanks Leroy , This is good info.

Installing the valve is now on my Bird work list.....for this Summer.

I do not trust the air purge , blow out the plumbing, air system., for Winterization.
It is also expected to purge and blow out the 10 gallon hotwater tank.
It depends on the switch, a three way air valve, a regulator, a shut off switch. As posted above too much can go wrong,
Domestic copper plumbing and the Bird air system do not like water, especially in deep prolonged freezing temps.
There is also, another recent new poster / owner, dealing with frozen leaky pipes. We see these posts every spring. This can not be a fun job.

It is not good for the air system and water system to mix.
Old 05-05-2008
Forum owner

I took all of the air purge equipment out of my coach,its a great idea,and it shows the thought that BB put into the older coachs,but it has created problems in the past.
and,i think it gives a false sense of security,you think you blew all the water out and then you find out months later that you have split pipes.
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-14-2009

Default no air purge no problem

I am learning my water system and want to replace the water filter. A new $50 filter that would mount in the same place is available at Lowes but has no air line attachment. Would abandoning that system only eliminate the air line/water line connection used for winterizing. That doesn't sound like a real bad idea if you don't mind manually winterizing stuff.

Matt M
'91 WB in Wa.
Old 06-14-2009

Let me know what you run in to changing the water filter. Mine undoubtedly needs it, too.

Several months ago I started getting water in my air systems, with water coming out of the purge switch. I immediately blew out the lines and disconnected the purge line. It's check valve apparently leaked intermittently. I am going to install an air fitting on the purge line to use when I want to, but I am with Randy that that kind of purge gives a false sense of security. As said before, connecting water to your air system is a very, very bad idea when something inevitably malfunctions.
Old 06-14-2009
Administrator

Water can get into the air system, there are several threads on this issue, Try searching, Domestic water, air purge, or winterization.
There is some info. here;

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ighlight=leroy

There are also links in these postings that lead to more information.