Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 11-17-2010

Watch the school bus drivers for tips around town, they run them like sports cars. Lets you kinda no how tight you can and can't get.
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 11-18-2010
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mehr View Post
Watch the school bus drivers for tips around town, they run them like sports cars. Lets you kinda no how tight you can and can't get.
Watch Jim Brookshire take the bus up a narrow steep mountain side.... one duel just about hanging off the cliff...not a problem, he knows where it is really!
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 11-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
It's probably worth noting that Randy's caster change adds considerably to the steering effort.
Dave
You are correct the higher caster angle tends to increase the steering effort; however it also eliminates the wander in the Wanderlodge.
I took my BB to Josams in Orlando last May to have a wheel alignment and told the tech to check the casters’ angle. I was told they were set at the manufacturer's specs. BB specs allow caster angles of 2-4 degrees. My coach was set at 2 degrees; my BB was a real "Wanderer" on the road. I requested to reset the casters at the highest possible angle on the steer axle. The most they could do was 4.5 degrees on the right axle and 3.75 degrees on the left by adding shims.
What a deference that made in driving the coach. The coach tracks down the road without me having to go nuts when a truck passes me trying to keep the coach away from the ditch.
I can live with higher effort so long as the coach stays on the road and not to have to over correct as long as I am driving.
2003 H3-45 S2
TGO Titusville, Florida
dukeflyer2507@att.net
248-935-5390
Old 11-18-2010

I think I can chime in here. I used to take pride in the fact that I would hit major cities downtown's at rush hour. The points I would make... be careful in old cities for clearance. I've backed out a Wanderlodge with trailer on in Chicago (low bridge) and New Orleans (no turn radius). Stopped traffic like the Presidents motorcade. It was like moving the space shuttle. Also, be careful parking on roads with a pronounced crown... your bus will lose a foot of clearance from the pitch and often the telephone poles will be leaning in. I ripped up to a good spot one time and got out to notice that I had missed hitting a pole by less than an inch. Which brings me to my main point. NEVER GET TOO COMFORTABLE. I drove my FC like a **** sports car. I could parallel park that beast like a car. But it's not a car. Stopping distances, clearance and the consequences of ANY contact make that familiarity a real danger. If you are traveling alone, consider installing a rearview that gives you a view down the inside of the coach. Mainly peace of mind, a quick view to see what that crashing noise was... usually the refrigerator door swinging open and off it's hinges...
Austin, Texas
Old 11-18-2010
Lee and Rose

I'm a retired truck driver. I drove long box trucks for 20 years and pulled double trailers and 53 footers for 10 years. The advice I have been reading is right on the money. Watch the left not the right side in tight places, aim high when steering will help keep you in the center of the lane. ALWAYS leave enough room around your Bird to stop or change lanes if needed. NEVER get in a hurry, and always get out and look if you are not sure. I would rather have someone laugh because I got out and looked before I back in, as laugh after I have a crash because I didn't. Great advice is why I visit WOG daily. THANKS EVERYONE!
Lee

Last edited by Lee and Rose; 11-19-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee and Rose View Post
I'm a retired truck driver. I drove long box trucks for 20 years and pulled double trailers and 53 footers for 10 years. The advice I have been reading is right on the money. Watch the left not the right side in tight places, aim high when steering will help keep you in the center of the lane. ALWAYS leave enough room around your Bird to stop or change lanes if needed. NEVER get in a hurry, and always get out and look if you are not sure. I would rather have someone laugh becauce I got out and looked before I back in, as laugh after I have a crash because I didn't. Great advice is why I visit MOG daily. THANKS EVERONE!
Lee
I was with you 100 o/o up to the very end. What is a MOG?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656

Last edited by Rick; 11-18-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-18-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I think WOG
Old 11-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
I think WOG
Could be.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 11-18-2010

I've heard that Walmart truck drivers are some of the safest on the road... They never seam to be in a hurry and I think always travel less than the speed limit.
I do well when I follow truck drivers, they know the road ahead and usually position themselves in the best spot for the conditions.

I try to resist the urge to pass and it usually works out because a slowing vehicle is often just trying to take the next exit.

I still have to remind myself to slow down ....cause it sure is fun to pass.. Lol
89 PT40
Old 11-19-2010
Lee and Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Thanks Rick for catching the MOG. I said I was a truck driver, Not a spelling teacher. Besides, a M, is just a upside-down W!
Lee