Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 05-03-2011

Nice Work Don!!

Thanks for the Photos and letting us follow your progress.
89 PT40
Old 05-03-2011

Don,

Glad to hear no fire. I noticed that fan on the rear of my generator about a year ago and had no idea it was even there.

Now that we all know it's is there, anyone know where to get a replacement if needed? And, can it be replaced by sliding the generator unit forward without removing?

I'll have to look at mine a little closer to make sure its doing what its supposed to. One more question, is it thermostatically controlled, or on constantly while generator is in use.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-03-2011
Forum Moderator

This charing is never a good thing but I suspect that what we're looking at is an 'over heat' condition over a long period of time without actual flame ever involved. Materials will under heated conditions give off vapours. In simplistic terms a material will give up vapours of gas (flammable) until all that is left is carbon (black char). This is the principle of making charcoal or your breakfast toast. If there is no ignition of the vapours then no fire results. I realize this is little consolation but it is possibly an accurate description of what actually caused all the charred plywood without a resulting fire. You don't need to have fire to char wood. You only have to heat wood over time to char it. Again....charing is a warning and all causes should be eliminated.
Old 05-03-2011
ANOTHER REDNECK

What a catch

thanks for the post

why 2 fans---------i got to get under mine again and look but just have 1 back there as far as i know today!!!!
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 05-03-2011

Slim. Yes, I think the fan can be replaced from underneath, BUT IT WON'T BE FUN. The one on our 93 is 120V wired right off the 20a 240v breaker on the generator (120 from one of the hot legs from the breaker, and a common from the generator terminal block). I have been busy, havn't started buying parts yet. Will post pictures and a discrtption of the rebuild. I will check with Grainger (grainger.com) for the fan motor, they should have it, they have most everything else.
Old 05-03-2011

Rob. I agree about the charring due to overheating over a long period of time. Where there is enough heat to cause charring, given the right conditions (like enough air) the charning could result in fire, or the heat could cause some other material to catch fire or melt. Either way, I'm sure we all agree, the overheating condition is something I was blessed to find before anything worse happened.
Old 05-05-2011

FWIW: I started my generator today to check fan located at the rear of the unit. I used a snake camera to see if it was running, and it was. I wasn't crawling underneath to see.
Old 05-06-2011

Terry here's a little tip as long as you have everything out. Move the voltage regulator and all the connections to the side compartment under the drivers seat. That way it makes it a lot simpler to remove the generator if there is a next time, also a heck of a lot easier to check and/or swap out the voltage regulator which it's a good idea to carry a spare. I've been all through this and I'm sort of a neighbor of yours I'm in Syracuse, if you need anything my e-mail address is charpe3@yahoo.com.

Good Luck Butch
Old 05-06-2011

Butch. It's me down in Texas that has all the generator guts out of the coach. Thanks for the tip for the remote location of the voltage regulator. I had planed on doing that, installing a 120v termanal block for the coach wireing for ease of later service, adding a buddy plug with a breaker, (connected to the 120v termanal block), and replacing some of the seal tight and 120v wire that is in need of help. If I need anything, I'll give you a shout.
Old 08-01-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don & Kitty Bartlett View Post
Slim. Yes, I think the fan can be replaced from underneath, BUT IT WON'T BE FUN. The one on our 93 is 120V wired right off the 20a 240v breaker on the generator (120 from one of the hot legs from the breaker, and a common from the generator terminal block). I have been busy, havn't started buying parts yet. Will post pictures and a discrtption of the rebuild. I will check with Grainger (grainger.com) for the fan motor, they should have it, they have most everything else.

Don,

Did you find a source for this fan that Slim described? I'm thinking of placing one inside of my compartment to help exhaust some of the hot air out through the opening above the frame on my FC.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11