Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs

Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs Owning a Blue Bird isn't cheap. Questions or suggestions on how to handle these costs are discussed in this forum.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Just had my smoke opacity test done.
1996 WB Detroit Diesel 8V92 199,000 miles on it

Cold engine 15% opacity. Had it idling for 15 min

There is a percentage of deviation from the three revs and test
It needs to be within 2% or something.

Had to do the test a few times to get the deviation of the three revs compliant.

You need to press the gas peddle the same speed all three times. That seemed to help.

Once it was hot it passed at only 3%. It can be 30% to pass.

Erwin Beales
ALAMEDA, CA
1996 WB40
“LUCKY 27”
Old 1 Week Ago

Default Oo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERWIN O View Post
Just had my smoke opacity test done.
1996 WB Detroit Diesel 8V92 199,000 miles on it

Cold engine 15% opacity. Had it idling for 15 min

There is a percentage of deviation from the three revs and test
It needs to be within 2% or something.

Had to do the test a few times to get the deviation of the three revs compliant.

You need to press the gas peddle the same speed all three times. That seemed to help.

Once it was hot it passed at only 3%. It can be 30% to pass.

Glad it passed did you watch the test? Im
Sure you did
In Ca for you pre 1991 Bird Owners the opacity test is 40% so throw some big injectors in there and give em the finger!! Seriously though for those who dont know who will be facing this very soon as this will be federal law before you know it. It will be in all 50 states IF it gets passed and they are pushing it now. <—- that may be political but polidicks like this affect bird owners. So heres how they do the test. They use a “snap acceleration” method meaning they stab your throttle fast and to at least a specd Rpm three times. So they in effect are testing how well the engine evacuates the fuel we all know stabbing the throttle will load more fuel than air its in a way overfuelling. The smoke after the first time no biggie second time prob has some more in it by the third well we pretty much can say the over fueling of the throttle stabs is accumulative. Think a detroit 6 or 8v92 how well is my motor going to evacuate? What they are trying to simulate with this test is the motor under a load IE a truck pulling away from a light. Or a forklift lifting a load or a dozer pushing dirt or other handling equipment. You see this Law was passed a while ago it was passed under the Guise of only being on and off road “commercial” engines. Not private vehicles. Remember when you guys in other states saw all the equipment get sold off in CA and it went dirt cheap as we flooded the market. Yea all that equipment went out of because of this law and the Def stuff.
Just pay attention to how this affects you.

https://www.instagram.com/theribbitt?utm_source=qr

https://instagram.com/artistformerly...VhN2U2NjQ0Yg==
Old 1 Week Ago

The test is pretty ridiculous because there is no way stabbing the throttle in neutral simulates the vehicle under load. i.e. climbing a grade.

Yes I watched it through my sideview mirror. I was the one stabbing the throttle. Kind of like a breathalyzer. You can probably figure a way to nurse the throttle to get better numbers. I actually think it isn't going to be a problem for anyone if your bus is in good running order.

It's a once a year thing now in California.

If I'm lucky I'll have moved out of state by the next one. Surely by the third one.

Erwin Beales
ALAMEDA, CA
1996 WB40
“LUCKY 27”
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
The test is pretty ridiculous because there is no way stabbing the throttle in neutral simulates the vehicle under load. i.e. climbing a grade.

Yes I watched it through my sideview mirror. I was the one stabbing the throttle. Kind of like a breathalyzer. You can probably figure a way to nurse the throttle to get better numbers. I actually think it isn't going to be a problem for anyone if your bus is in good running order.

It's a once a year thing now in California.

If I'm lucky I'll have moved out of state by the next one. Surely by the third one.
If your ever passing by on I 80 stop by. We got room.
Dave

Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonhitch View Post
If your ever passing by on I 80 stop by. We got room.
Dave
Dave
Thanks for the invite. How's the road in?

Erwin Beales
ALAMEDA, CA
1996 WB40
“LUCKY 27”
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Dave
Thanks for the invite. How's the road in?
Oh im
The last house on road is paved to my place but where i have to put my bus is 12 foot plus wide gravel road. Weve have lowboys amd 53’ step decks in here even had a caboose brought. Trees are pruned up and away its not bad really but boy its hot here 99 right now !!
Dave

Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonhitch View Post
Oh im
The last house on road is paved to my place but where i have to put my bus is 12 foot plus wide gravel road. Weve have lowboys amd 53’ step decks in here even had a caboose brought. Trees are pruned up and away its not bad really but boy its hot here 99 right now !!
Dave
Im 100 yrds from the water and it was 85 today. Norcal is cooking right now. Your road sounds good. You live off the 49? My mother in law used to live in Penn Valley. I traveled the 49 many times. How far are you off the 80?

Erwin Beales
ALAMEDA, CA
1996 WB40
“LUCKY 27”
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Im 100 yrds from the water and it was 85 today. Norcal is cooking right now. Your road sounds good. You live off the 49? My mother in law used to live in Penn Valley. I traveled the 49 many times. How far are you off the 80?
Im 1 mile off 49 then 1/4 mile driveway. Im one road before the nevada county line which is the RIO OSO great little swimming hole there and there is zero gold in that lol
So yea you drove right past me many times. I like being in the sticks but im 5 mins to town
Dave