Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Ladies > Ethel's Cookbook & Your Favorite Recipes

Ethel's Cookbook & Your Favorite Recipes I haven't met a potluck that I didn't like, and that goes double for rally ones! Please post your recipes here with your name, where you're from, and cooking instructions, you can also e-mail them to me at jehdds@hotmail.com. Thanks, Ethel (bubblerboy's other half!)

Site Search:

Old 02-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahansm View Post
You missed shrimp & grits...
Be still my beating heart!

I would gladly take shrimp and grits over any lobster dinner.

Fort Myers, Florida
1982 FC33 3208T "EM-50" - SOLD
1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"

danahcks@aol.com
Old 02-01-2018
Forum owner

In my part of Florida we did not have any local Lobster,and we sure as heck could not afford to buy Maine Lobster.
Shimp,now we had that,and the poor people ate shrimp and other fish that are now highly sought after.
We also ate lots of swamp cabbage (hearts of palm is the fancy name for it)its now available on salads etc,of course we roast it or steam it,good stuff if you have never had it,its the heart of a cabbage palm tree.
Red Fish,ooh man,talk about good,its a game fish now,you can't buy it at a fish market.
Of course us crackers like mullet fish too,its great smoked or fried,don't even think about broiling it.
Thinkng about lobsters,the first time i saw a lobster in Gainesville was maybe at the Red Lobster fish place,or maybe at Albertsons grocery,no matter where it was,i have never bought one.
I do eat them,but its not a special thing to me.
Fact is,i'm not a huge shrimp guy either,i prefer a fish,grouper,red fish or mullet!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-01-2018
Forum owner

Heckmom? 19 bucks for a shrimp cocktail?
dang!!
across the street from our new St.Joe lots we buy shrimp right off the boats,5 bucks a lb.
For 19 bucks you better get a mermaid too!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-01-2018

Hay I was trying to get a rise out of Randy. It worked and hope everyone took it that way.
Gator Girl - I am a native Californian born, in LA before WW2 when it was a much better town. You can call it Southern California or SoCal but please not Cali.
Old 02-01-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabuco Fred View Post
Hay I was trying to get a rise out of Randy. It worked and hope everyone took it that way.
Gator Girl - I am a native Californian born, in LA before WW2 when it was a much better town. You can call it Southern California or SoCal but please not Cali.
Oh yeah,i knew you were baiting me but i spit the hook out!
Its all fun!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Heckmom? 19 bucks for a shrimp cocktail?
dang!!
across the street from our new St.Joe lots we buy shrimp right off the boats,5 bucks a lb.
For 19 bucks you better get a mermaid too!
Randy there is a good explanation. I was car shopping and didn't buy the car
I was close to DC hungry as H trying to find a restaurant open in the late afternoon . Ended up in this real high end establishment which didn't open till 6. Bar was open and they had a limited menu most all of it I couldn't pronounce. Tell you want though they served six of the biggest shrimp I've seen and they were GOOD Kind of a neat experience I figured I'd hang for a while miss the traffic so I sat there until the main menu was available and I ordered something else (forget maybe ravioli) and while this is happening some old guy sits down beside me and start talking. Bartenders all know him. So I'm thinking "the local drunk" turns out the old fellow was real interesting so I had a good meal left spending about $75 got home and the wife was glad to see me ( remember didn't buy the car (did that later) ) just one of life's little adventures .

Oh and the mermaids cut into the car buying. We have a clear understand at the House of Heckmom about what tolerated and what isn't

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 02-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fred View Post
No offense meant but shrimp is for those who have never enjoyed lobster. Very good but only a close second.
Having lived both on the Gulf Coast and in Boston, I think you just do best eating locally. Lobster isn't as good down here in the Gulf, and shrimp aren't as good up there. And I cannot fathom eating seafood in Kansas.

Thanks for the idea Randy. Sounds delicious, and good to know your stirring shoulder is on the mend.
Old 02-02-2018
WanderBee

My wife and I love gulf seafood. Ideal meal to me would be shrimp cocktail appetizer - made with royal reds, red snapper - grilled or broiled with a touch of seasoning, garlic mashed potatoes, and some broccoli or asparagus. Shrimp and grits is a close second for me - love that stuff. Finish it all up with key lime pie.

We go down to the gulf area a lot. When we hit Pensacola, we'll go to Joe Patti's and bring back 15-20 lbs of shrimp and fish (grouper and red snapper). Love it love it love it!!
Marietta, GA