Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Full Timers

Full Timers Not everyone can be a full timer. This is the place to discuss questions, concerns, and other issues affecting full timers.

Site Search:

Old 08-27-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

We took our first short run with the AT&T Mobley and Amazon fire stick with Prime.
Streaming the news channel in the TV all the way for 150 miles, never an interruption. Better than an inflight sat dish, and free.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 04-22-2018

We're going to be fulltimers in the next couple months & I'm looking at phone/internet service. We don't stream movies (well, hardly ever) or music, but are moderate internet users. My question is, is it better to tether a phone, or get a mi-fi type hotspot device? my (work-supplied) iPhone has hotspot availability, which seems to work fine for both our laptops. Do providers charge extra for tethering? if not, what's the advantage of a mi-fi device?
Old 04-22-2018
AKA Tent Boy

Mike,
What I do is that, I have an ATT iPhone and a Verizon Mi-FI unit, it is the best of both worlds when out on the road... I have found places that do not have phone service for Verizon, but ATT does, so I just tether the iPhone and use it for internet...
Most often though I use the Verizon MI-FI most often...
HTH

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
14812 53RD St.
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 04-22-2018

We have verizon I phones and can use as a hot spot we recently went to verizon MiFi which we can take anywhere and thus saves the battery in our phones. It also has unlimited data
Toad - 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 06-11-2018
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Default Free TV

I got in on the Mobley ZTEs, and they work great everywhere we have been.
But we cut the cord at home and got rid of Dish Network after 14 years. We get local on the air antenna in the bus and at home.

The thing that has changed everything for us is the Amazon Fire stick. A WOG member introduced me to the fire stick, and it is cheap and great. We have several.
We had Amazon prime anyway, $100 a year, and it includes a lot of free programing on the fire stick. The only problem is we don't get commericals. OH I miss those wonderful commerical,, NOT. And,,, I thought a recorder was absolutly necessary. But with streaming there is not need for it, as you watch what you want when you want, stop, rewind, all without the need for a recorder.
And if you want to get a little creative, you can load Kodi on your fire stick and get a lot more free first run programing as well as every TV program
and series every aired on TV. Got to put a build on that Kodi too, but not all that complicated. How long with this work, Who Knows, but is works now.
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 06-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
I got in on the Mobley ZTEs, and they work great everywhere we have been.
But we cut the cord at home and got rid of Dish Network after 14 years. We get local on the air antenna in the bus and at home.

The thing that has changed everything for us is the Amazon Fire stick. A WOG member introduced me to the fire stick, and it is cheap and great. We have several.
We had Amazon prime anyway, $100 a year, and it includes a lot of free programing on the fire stick. The only problem is we don't get commericals. OH I miss those wonderful commerical,, NOT. And,,, I thought a recorder was absolutly necessary. But with streaming there is not need for it, as you watch what you want when you want, stop, rewind, all without the need for a recorder.
And if you want to get a little creative, you can load Kodi on your fire stick and get a lot more free first run programing as well as every TV program
and series every aired on TV. Got to put a build on that Kodi too, but not all that complicated. How long with this work, Who Knows, but is works now.
Mallie, I'm in 100% agreement with you. I'm still refining my stuff, so I haven't gotten rid of Direct TV yet, but I have reduced to the lowest level programing and saved a bunch on that. I will get rid of that as soon as I put all the pieces of the puzzle together. Just added one today. I put the TV Guide on my computer today and now I have access to "live" TV scheduling.

Michele's hairdresser suggested this to us. It is absolutely a no brainer. The guy that programed my firestick gave me access to Terrarium and Mobdro. You need to check them out. Kodi is ok but a PIA Terrarium will give you almost the same amount of viewing and easier to navigate. We just watched a movie the other day that was playing at the local theaters on Terrarium. Mobdro will give you live TV. During the NBA playoffs, I wasn't able to watch the eastern finals because it was on ESPN. Since reducing my Direct TV package I don't have ESPN anymore. So I turned on my Firestick, clicked on Mobdro, clicked on ESPN and watched the game live. On Mobdro you can watch HBO, Showtime, Starz and all that other stuff live. It takes some getting used to on how to access all that stuff, but once out figure it out it isn't bad at all. Oh, I know I don't have to tell you, but it is all free Once you buy the Firestick and pay your monthly Mobley fee of $20. We have only been a couple of places where the signal was weak and we had some buffering to deal with. Not a big issue yet. When watching Terrarium you select what you want you want to watch, a list of servers are shown. If you go to Google fastserver or FB fastserver the speeds are better and you can get High Def. with no buffering. I have been working with my setup for about a year now and I am convinced it is the only way to go.

I have held on to Direct TV only because my situation is a little different than most peoples. I live so far away from connections to the "grid" that it was expensive to run electricity to the house. I wasn't even able to get a hardline phone and rely only on cell signals. The Mobley solved that problem and I needed to wait the changing of the seasons, to be sure everything worked with the Mobley. I put a booster antenna on the roof of the barn to get a good cell signal for the Verizon cell phone, because of the seasons that have leaves on the trees. I am surrounded by trees and the signal dropped on my Verizon when the leaves came out, until I put up the higher booster antenna. I have tested the Mobley now for a year and no booster has been needed for it.

I'm glad to see you are having good luck with your set up too.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 06-12-2018
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Jim, glad you are on the stick! I started trying to stream many years ago, but internet speed was so low it was not pratical. That has all changed.
90% of our streaming is Amazon Prime, just super easy. But another world is there for just a little effort.
Several new streaming options are coming on line and the line up will change so it does take some tweeking to keep everything up to speed. Wookie was a staple, now gone, but several have taken its place. Cable and Sattelite will keep hammering questionable streaming and may bring it to a hault.
Kodi is stlll a stable app but it is just the basic and still requires a build to get programing. Several others are an all in one and little easer. I will look into your programing suggestions. May have to talk to you about phone booster, having problems at home with my AT&T phone, but not data, and I can see the tower.
Mallie@EuLake.com