Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Does anybody have any tips for accessing the front (long) coolant hose fitting on the compressor? This is on a 1986 PT38 with 8v92 and a cross bed if that matters. The pictures I have found show the compressor wide open. On mine the front couple of inches are tucked under the body. I pulled the heat shield away from the body and can see the fitting but looks pretty tight to get a wrench on. I can see it from underneath looking up beside the transmission but can’t reach it. This fitting makes the other end (above starter) look like a piece of cake. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Chris
I'm not sure if this helps, but I found this thread where the crew was talking about accessing the compressor on an 86' through the side louvered battery door.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim11dd
"I have an 86 PT40 8V92 and am trying to change the compressor hoses, after opening up the 25" x 25" engine access under the bed the forward section of the opening is across the front portion of the compressor head and covers the forward hose connection. I can't figure how to access the forward hose connection, I can see it with a mirror and light and can sort of feel it by standing on my head. Can't seem to find a way from the side or bottom to get to it. The only solution I can see is cutting through the floor behind the water holding tank to get to it. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!"

I have done at least one 1986PT40.
I think we did it by reaching in from the side louvered battery door,long arms required.
Changing that hose is not as bad as changing the compressor.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
Randy on the battery door..

Full thread

Info on pulling the floor

Good luck. I know your frustration.
1994 Wide Body #106048
"Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

*Views expressed here are not supported, endorsed, or even “liked” by any agency or individual.
*Medicated for your comfort. Comfort not guaranteed. Experiences may vary.
Old 06-14-2018

Thanks for the links Bruce. I decided to take Bobs advice and leave the exhaust blankets alone. I removed the front heat shield, the air cleaner housing and inner hanger so that I could lay over the engine. I could reach through and get a stubby wrench on the fitting but couldn’t break it loose. So I made an extension for a open end wrench and reached up the right side of the transmission and broke it loose. I then could reach through and remove it. I hope that I won’t be doing that again any time soon. I am glad I decided to change them though. They were painted silver so probably original. The lower one snapped in two when removing it. Now to get the new ones made and back on. Thanks to all for your advice.

Chris