Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 06-13-2018

Default Middle AC fan and compressor will not turn on.

Hello all! Well, my usually extremely reliable coach has got me stumped. My middle rooftop air conditioner will not come one. Neither the fan alone or the compressor will come on. Thermostat has power and I can try to set the temperature, fan mode and cool mode. I put it on cool, fan Hi or Lo, set the temperature but nothing happens at all.

We came home after being gone for a week. Temperatures here were 100 degrees during the day. I had set the middle air conditioner to 85 to keep the temperature somewhat reasonable while we were gone. Came back to a 115 degree inside coach. Middle AC thermostat was on but the air conditioner was doing nothing.

Finding it very difficult to locate on the bus schematics where they put any middle ac breaker other than the breaker panel in the bedroom. Curious as to why the fan NOR the compressor will not run. If the compressor got burned out, wouldn't the fans still blow? Any ideas?

Front and back AC's both working normally. All AC switches on the dash are on.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 06-13-2018

Check the dash #2 AC switch to ensure it was not mistakenly switched off. Cycle it on and off to verify.

There is a small fuse in the control board on the curb side of the roof AC you may need to verify is good also.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 06-13-2018

The AC switches on the dashboard are all on and I cycled the middle one in case the switch is dirty. The AC is acting exactly like it would if that switch were off. Could there be a bad relay that the switch goes to?

I was wondering if there was a thermal overload switch or something up there in the AC shroud. Being it is 100 degrees here today, I was seeing if there was an answer that comes up before I get up there. I will check that when I can get up there without my shoes melting on the roof.

It is weird that the factory schematics for my bird do not indicate a fuse or circuit breaker location for the middle AC. It plainly shows a breaker for the Front and Rear AC's but not the Middle one.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 06-13-2018

There still has to be a 120 volt breaker for the system so check all circuit breakers in the panels by switching them off and on.

What type of thermostats do you have, 4 or 5 button, 10 or 12 button digital, does it have 12 volt power when you take off the cover to check?

Is the center AC system also tied into the front or rear system via data cables as this could set up as zones.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 06-14-2018

As Barry said.... Check your 120 fuse box in the bedroom for a blown CB. Occasionally my rear A/C will blow the breaker.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 06-14-2018

Same thing happened to me on my front AC a couple of years ago. It turned out to be the dash switch, the contacts get worn and they loose their current carrying capability. Try replacing the switch or if you don't have a spare, switch the wires to one of the other switches you know is working to find out.

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42
Old 06-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKessler View Post
The AC switches on the dashboard are all on and I cycled the middle one in case the switch is dirty. The AC is acting exactly like it would if that switch were off. Could there be a bad relay that the switch goes to?

I was wondering if there was a thermal overload switch or something up there in the AC shroud. Being it is 100 degrees here today, I was seeing if there was an answer that comes up before I get up there. I will check that when I can get up there without my shoes melting on the roof.

It is weird that the factory schematics for my bird do not indicate a fuse or circuit breaker location for the middle AC. It plainly shows a breaker for the Front and Rear AC's but not the Middle one.

Turn all the AC off at the dash. Turn the thermostats below cut on temp. Turn on one of the ac s at the dash that is working. Hear the click? Might have to have some one flip the switch while you listen. Find one they may all be in the same location for t he relay.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 06-14-2018
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I have had a couple of 120v breakers go bad, that is the first place I would check.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 06-14-2018

I will try all of these suggestions. We are moving right now to Pagosa Springs so it will be a day or two but I will report back what I find. Thank you for the suggestions.

I did check for tripped circuit breakers but I will get someone who knows what they are doing to check for a bad circuit breaker.

As far as the dirty switches on the dash, I have had one switch do that before. My Fan Override switch is dirty and sometimes I have to switch it back and forth a time or two before the override kicks in.

Do the switches lift out of the dash panel from the top or do I have to get at them from underneath by lifting the whole dash panel up after unscrewing it?
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 06-14-2018

The small rectangular switches are push in and can be very carefully removed by gently lifting up on the small ends with a flexable putty knife.
Be careful and turn off all DC so as not to cause any shorts or let the smoke out..

Test with an OHM meter for continuity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0046a.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	55974   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0058a.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	55975  
Body #F92929