Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 06-03-2017

Default MASTER SWITCH

OK, so no question is a stupid question, is what I learned in the service. What position should the Master switch be in, and the other switch while parked? IE...plugged in 110, 30, 50 amp...??? and where should the other Auxiliary switch be?? I understand that the bottom is for emergency starts, but where do I put the switches while Parked and Driving?? Also, does all batteries get charged, or should I switch back and forth??
2004 PT Cruiser

USMC 0311
DAV Life Member
Old 06-04-2017
Geek

Since there are no answers, I'm guessing that others are like me, not understanding the question. What Master switch? What Auxiliary switch?
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 06-04-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

The master sw is to reduce load when in storage. Otherwise, it should always be on.
Aux,, in the off or normal, the house batteries are tied together when the key is on, separated when off. this is so you do not run you engine batteries down while using off of the house batteries.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 06-04-2017

Ok, so always keep the Master switch on, unless long-term storage? The auxiliary switch keep in the Middle position all the time? How does the coach batteries stay charged if parked and sitting there for a few weeks (plugged in and inverted says, Float charge) Seems like my coach batteries really drain fast, I dont think they are being charged that way?? Thanx
2004 PT Cruiser

USMC 0311
DAV Life Member
Old 06-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Since there are no answers, I'm guessing that others are like me, not understanding the question. What Master switch? What Auxiliary switch?
The Battery switches, Thanx
2004 PT Cruiser

USMC 0311
DAV Life Member
Old 06-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Don, very true

Mike - there's lots of Master switches on your coach. In storage without AC most shut both the Coach and Chassis Master battery switches OFF. They are the ones in the front and rear right side bays NOT on the dash. The M380 doesn't like to be without "supplemental" power and it's phantom loads will quickly drain the batteries if it has access to them when in storage without AC. However, I thought you were talking about the dash switches (Coach Master & Aux Bat) so will answer that...

First, there's lots of ways to run things. Your question is somewhat confusing since "parked" could mean parked and using the coach with everything ON, parked and using with no need for 12v DC, parked and stored (with or without AC)... I'll explain how I understand things to work. The Coach Master dash switch controls most of the coach 12v stuff. Basically but with some exceptions, if you turn that OFF no 12v item in the coach will have power, i.e. the 12v lighting won't work. That Coach Master switch powers a big solenoid under the drivers window, which in turn powers lots of coach items. For a list of what's powered you can dig into Eric's great CB lists HERE. I've found that the water pump does not go through the Coach Master. That's important if you're boondocking and trying to minimize loads overnight - since the toilet still works with the CM switch OFF . Lastly on this switch, it's a 3-way switch that is combined with the 12-Volt Master switch on the panel beside the co-pilots chair. Flipping that switch wil reverse the on-off positions of the dash CM switch.

The Aux Switch is described in the M380 online Owners Manual on page 4-6-2. A pic of that page is attached below. That description is also a little vague. The Coach and Chassis (engine) battery systems can be tied together with the Aux Switch. However, you can tie the two together while "parked" with A/C shore power connected so both systems will charge. Contrary to the description the ignition (key) does not have to be ON in this instance. I have verified this with the battery monitoring function of my Magnum inverter (upgraded from the original Trace inverter/charger). Flipping the Aux Switch to tie the two battery systems together with a less than a fully charged chassis (engine) battery causes the inverters charging current to go up. When on the road and not "parked" the two battery systems should connect automatically regardless of the Aux Bat switch position. That will charge the coach batteries when driving . A caveat to this is that the engine alternator charging voltage needs to be high enough to do this. On BB coaches as delivered that charging voltage was set too low. There's a thread on the WOG about this "glitch". I think Don upped his voltage so that the coach batteries would charge off the engine alternator?? Never set mine that way since I have lots of solar . But I digress...

I'll let this sink in and Don can add. As mentioned, lots of ways to run things. There's a WOG thread somewhere where a M380 owner (I think Doc) described how he runs things. Perhaps if he reads this he can add as I'd like to see how others run things too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2456.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	49279  

Last edited by NoGas; 06-04-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-04-2017

OK, sorry lets be specific. My BB in parked in my driveway, mostly between weekends etc...when we don't use it. It is plugged into 110, No AC only frig is on. From what I am gathering the Master switch is OK to be left on then????? The reason I'm asking is because it seems as though I had a problem starting it, so I thought the Coach Batteries were being drained even though meter says they are good. Ok the other Battery switch is the Auxiliary and the Bottom position is for emergency starts, I get that, Where do I usually leave that switch for When parked in driveway (110), when parked in full, and when boon docking? Thanx
2004 PT Cruiser

USMC 0311
DAV Life Member
Old 06-04-2017

You say "110". Do you mean your coach is plugged into a standard house recepticle and not a 50 amp rv outlet? If that is the case then that is the problem! You need a 50 amp rv plug for your inverters to run properly and keep your batteries fully charged. I have shut my coach down completely and plugged the refrigerator into a "110" outlet on occasion , but not for any great period of time
Austintown,Ohio
Old 06-04-2017

Yes, Standard 15 amp, and what I do is lower the imput to 15 in the inverter message board. I read that in the manual.
2004 PT Cruiser

USMC 0311
DAV Life Member
Old 06-04-2017
Geek

OK, I'll throw in a few things. First, there is no specific on/off positions for the dash master switch. On can be up, or on can be down, depending on the position of the master switch next to the passenger seat. I have that on taped off, as it is too easy to hit in the dark when trying to turn on the porch light or something.

Second is the relay mentioned under the driver window. That is not connected directly to the master switch, instead it is slaved to a relay that is behind the panel in the right-front dash that is the "real" master solenoid. The big solenoid only supplies power to the front slide, nothing else. It draws a couple of amps and gets really hot. A few of us, myself included, have wired around it so that it is cold, but there is always power to the slide.

You mentioned that your coach batteries do not appear to be fully charged. I'm not clear on which ones you refer to as coach - I call the two sets House and Chassis, and either could be coach.

If you are talking about chassis batteries, it is possible that they are not being charged by the inverter. In my M380 a prior owner tied both battery sets together permanently, so that is not an issue I have, but it should be easy to check. Put a meter on each set of batteries, and both should show 13.4-13.6 with the converter showing float.

With the alternator set low, my batteries arrived at a destination well below full charge. I'm not sure a 15-amp connection would be enough power to complete a decent charge while running the refrigerator and all the parasitic draws, such as that hot solenoid.
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1