Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-09-2011

we make rubber parts. the boots are compression molded

I am willing to look at these boots and try to
come up with a solution
Our rubber guy does everything from hospital gurney wheels to drumsticks to
boots on the flight yokes for Hercules aircraft
To start out I need a torn or new boot or a set of measurements and a small piece of a boot to see what the composition of the part is

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 11-10-2011

Default M380 ball joint boot replacements

Stephen, It sounds like you've got the right connections. I can try to get some photos and rough dimensions without removing the ball joints or boots from my coach. I don't have any idea what compound was originally used but I bet we can come up with something better that is compatible with petroleum based greases. I can get a precise measurement on the hardness of the boot material without destroying my remaining boots. Let me know how I can support your effort.
Old 11-12-2011

I was told by Meritor the upper ball joint part number is A2110S1007 and the lower ball joint part number is A211T1008. They are shown in the manual as items 7 and 41 respectively.

Stephen, I have access to a digital inspection system (CCM) with a laser scanner that could generate a 3D model of the boots without having to disassemble the ball joint if that will help.
Old 11-12-2011
Forum owner

Ryan and i were talking about the ball joint covers/boots.
He would like to make a mold that makes a bolt on type boot,kind of like a bolt on CV joint boot.
To do so he needs an old boot,one he can cut up and use to work his majic.
Anybody have an old boot?
Ryan is a mold maker by trade,hes not in sales.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan & Cindy View Post
I heard back from Meritor today. They confirmed that they have the ball joint assemblies made by another company and that they do not offer the boots for sale as a separate item. If we could track down the OEM, perhaps they'd sell us boots. The guy I talked to was in Troy, MI (I think). He said I'd have to talk to the Aftermarket Team at their Frankfort, KY Plant. He gave me the part numbers for the upper and lower ball joint assembly but they seem different from the one Andre has provided. It is too bad that the manual for this suspension doesn't include part numbers.

The Meritor guy (Les) I talked with today also told me that the upper ball joint assembly was set up in their system for resale but was not in stock and that the lower one has never been setup for resale. This doesn't sound too good for us M380 owners. I think Randy and Phil have the right idea.

Andre, the boot in your photo looks really different from what I see under my coach. Is it an upper or lower? My lower ball joint has a boot that is a black convoluted rubber bellows.

Can you pop the boot off your ball joint assembly and send me some OD, ID and length dimensions & more photos of the inner & outer surfaces? I'll get a 3D CAD model made so we can see about having a mold and new parts made.

Are you planning to change these out yourself or have a shop do the work? Looks like some special tools will be needed, the manual provides drawings to have them made on pages 40 to 43. They won't be inexpensive to have made so we M380 owners may want to add them to the list of setup items.
Dan,

I didn't have time to check under my coach because it is in storage for the winter. As soon as I get there I will try to answer you as accurate as I can and I will post more photos and details.

2004 M380
Old 11-12-2011

Yea, that comes off before installing. Don't make that!

Phil
Old 11-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
we make rubber parts. the boots are compression molded

I am willing to look at these boots and try to
come up with a solution
Our rubber guy does everything from hospital gurney wheels to drumsticks to
boots on the flight yokes for Hercules aircraft
To start out I need a torn or new boot or a set of measurements and a small piece of a boot to see what the composition of the part is
I wouldn't copy the composition. That's the problem, the composition does't hold up and they tear out.

Phil Swanson
Old 04-12-2012

Default Bad ball joints on by 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I have received my ball joints today. They are quite expensive 371.00 each. They come from Meritor and the part number is: 3280 D 9728. I will install them next spring since my coach is stored for the winter. Hope this help.
Do you have a phone number I can call as I live in canada and in need of ball joints for my m380
ae.mayer@teluse.net
Old 04-12-2012

Eddie Ray, just had his replaced for his 98 LX at CoachCraft. Maybe he will give you a heads up on it.
Old 04-12-2012

It's insane to replace the whole factory riveted ball joints just because the boots are torn. I would reproduce the boot even at a relatively high cost before I would drill out those joints unless the joints themselves are bad.

Phil Swanson