Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 07-07-2014

Default looking for LXI or LX have some questions

When I initially posted we were looking for a BB Wb but have changed our mind after seeing a LXI and LX. We need this plan because of a need for a washer & dryer (not combo) and a full size refrigerator. We also need a slide if possible due to spending long periods of time in the coach.

We have found a coach (no slide) it is a 2000 but has never had tires changed (only been driven intermittent-definitely needs new tires in our opinion) also the current appliances have not been used. According to the current (only owner) he never used the appliances he never used the fridge, stove (propane) or washer/dryer combo. They definitely don't look used at all. He seems to think they need updated even though they have never been used.

What is your experience in these items actually working and since he is listing and selling them as working what is a fair price to take off for needing appliances. Im sure we can turn on the items in the bay and check the fridge, washer/dryer combo ( I suppose if there is water on board) we can check the power but if the fridge is LP and stove is there anyway to check these ? Im pretty sure he doesn't have propane on board.

Another issue is when we test drove it down the interstate the air bags never filled like the others we drove. The ride was extremely bumpy and bouncing us all over the sofa it was unlike riding in the others that we have ridden in. Is this a serious issue do you think? Is it because of the 14 yr old tires, no air ride suspension? Is there a time that the air bags may not fill once but fill after that?

I don't want to purchase a BB of this cost and then have a $21,000.00 repair ticket like we have talked to so many owners already.

I appreciate any input that you might have. We want to pay a fair price for the owner as well as need a coach that is ready to roll. We have a daughter with special needs that we travel for and don't have time for a lot of shop time. We are spending 4-8 months in hotels and really dislike it.
2010 Sprinter conversion " Roadrunner" (driving toad)
10' Cargo Trailer " The Egg"
Old 07-07-2014

The consciences I believe is that sitting for extended periods is pretty harmful to these machines. Always exceptions but you have already seen some evidence of this with air bags not airing up.

It's difficult to offer any specifics other then to say that having a knowledgeable owner of the type of BB you are looking for examine and evaluate any perspective purchase is probably you best bet.

As to your thoughts of buying something that doesn't need significant repairs and shop time that is probably not realistic. I believe most class A motor homes and BB's in particular require pretty much care and owner support. Most of us spend about as much time "working on" our coaches as we do traveling in them. (and again always exceptions). My coach was a real nice solid example of a 87 BB Pt 36 but I can't tell you how many countless hours I've invested in it. Most of my friends who have them have done the same.

Just being entirely up front. If you don't like to tinker or if you can't find the time then a BB is probably not the best option.

You don't buy them and drive them and forget them that's for sure.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris View Post
When I initially posted we were looking for a BB Wb but have changed our mind after seeing a LXI and LX. We need this plan because of a need for a washer & dryer (not combo) and a full size refrigerator. We also need a slide if possible due to spending long periods of time in the coach.

We have found a coach (no slide) it is a 2000 but has never had tires changed (only been driven intermittent-definitely needs new tires in our opinion) also the current appliances have not been used. According to the current (only owner) he never used the appliances he never used the fridge, stove (propane) or washer/dryer combo. They definitely don't look used at all. He seems to think they need updated even though they have never been used.

What is your experience in these items actually working and since he is listing and selling them as working what is a fair price to take off for needing appliances. Im sure we can turn on the items in the bay and check the fridge, washer/dryer combo ( I suppose if there is water on board) we can check the power but if the fridge is LP and stove is there anyway to check these ? Im pretty sure he doesn't have propane on board.

Another issue is when we test drove it down the interstate the air bags never filled like the others we drove. The ride was extremely bumpy and bouncing us all over the sofa it was unlike riding in the others that we have ridden in. Is this a serious issue do you think? Is it because of the 14 yr old tires, no air ride suspension? Is there a time that the air bags may not fill once but fill after that?

I don't want to purchase a BB of this cost and then have a $21,000.00 repair ticket like we have talked to so many owners already.

I appreciate any input that you might have. We want to pay a fair price for the owner as well as need a coach that is ready to roll. We have a daughter with special needs that we travel for and don't have time for a lot of shop time. We are spending 4-8 months in hotels and really dislike it.
We would love for you to find the perfect coach with everything you need and at your pirce point. This one may not be it but without spending $ to have it inspected who knows what it will cost to get it as you wish. 14 year old tires have to be replaced. Seals in washer and dryer may be dried out but then again may be fine, who knows. Air suspension not up could be nothing more than a switch to flip or could be big $ to repair. Needless to say, this coach is not ready to roll without a little work.

There are qualified people that will look this over for you but not for free. I have no ideal what it would cost to have it inspected. Are you ready to have it inspected? What did Randy have to say?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-07-2014

Thanks guys for your replies and I totally agree and don't mind tinkering we just don't want to spend what we are spending only to find out our ignorance has cost us more.

Rick we are definitely needing someone to do an inspection we are in Springfield on the road to buy a bird. We also don't mind replacing some things as we understand regular maintenance is key.

We have a fairly sizable budget for what we are looking for ( we though, lol we may be wrong) I just don't want to pay that much for a bus and then pay the same amount to fix it.

I think part of it is that we are newbies to BB but desperately want one and trying to educate ourselves without manuals or a bus is really kind of hard to do.

This coach is super nice and extremely clean and we just want to make sure we don't over spend.

Rick if you could let us know if there is anyone near Springfield that could do an inspection for us ( we will pay) yes we spoke to Randy he suggested a dealer to hook up a machine for the engine inspection for hours, service and codes etc.
Old 07-07-2014

Paris, I'm like everyone else on this one. You may have a gem and everything may be just fine. Lack of use of appliances may not be as bad as lack of use of the coach in general. I don't think they are as needy as the drive train, gennie and other systems overall. I bought a Class C many years ago, that had never had the stove or oven used once. It worked just fine. The fridge was used sparingly and it worked just fine, also. There wasn't a washer and dryer, but I think they may be ok too. The other things I mentioned probably are a bigger concern and bigger $$$. I wouldn't drive any further than the nearest tire shop with 14 year old tires. The airbags could be something very simple. Mine are original to the coach and they are fine. I would think the 2000 would be fine too. It may have a switch you forgot to flip, a bad switch, or air valve, etc. all of which are simple and inexpensive fixes. Your lack of knowledge of Birds in general requires a careful inspection by somebody qualified to do so. It would be money well spent. If bad you saved a whole lot of money. If good you may have gotten a great deal and a lot of peace of mind.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 07-07-2014

Paris, we bought a 2000 43 LXI with 2 slides. We didn't know squat about motorhomes and even less about the bluebird. The major things we did as part of the deal was to put in a residential refrigerator (Samsung 17.5 cu ft) and had both slide seals replaced. It is the minor stuff that keeps you busy and frankly I am thankful I am handy and thankful it's been fairly small stuff. I will tell you this, the most support that I have ever had has come from the members on this blog! Even when we had fifth wheels it was always something, the difference is with the fifth wheels it was usually due to poor quality or workmanship, something you don't have to worry about with a bird as they seem to be very well built and engineered. We picked this coach for several reasons (we were full timers), first it had 2 slides, which are a little hard to come by but makes a pretty big difference in space, second it had great closets because my wife and I still work and have a lot of clothes and we won't mention the shoes involved here! And lastly because of that bloody musical horn! We have since moved into a stick house and our coach is for sale but I will tell you when I buy another one, and we will, it will be a Bluebird!

Best of luck! It's just another adventure!

Ed
Jupiter Fl
Edlegue@ymail.com
Michelelegue@yahoo.com
Old 07-12-2014

we found an immaculate 2000 LX40. We picked it up yesterday and honestly can't wait to get on the road again. SO excited to make it ours.

The baby needed a new pair of shoes, we were blessed with shoes.
Now comes the fun part of looking through manuals and learning our new part time home.
Thanks everyone for all the advice.
Old 07-12-2014

You mean like this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BestSideView.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	30039  
Old 07-12-2014

Love that is it yours? We need to know how to pull our toad w/out voiding our sprinter warranty.
Old 07-13-2014

Check with Remco, they have info on most vehicles for towing.

www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168