Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 03-26-2018
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M. View Post
I put up 4, 6 volt batteries. Going to hook them up in series/parallel configuration. I don’t know who here said 4/0 welding cable is best, but I picked up 100’ for less than scrap cost. I want to put in a disconnect for obvious reasons. There is a rotary type disconnect currently on the house batteries. I was contemplating using the “Battery Doctor “ blade disconnect.

I have 2 questions,
1 Is this disconnect heavy enough. It’s rated 250 amps continuous and 750 surge.

2 I have seen different opinions on breaking the negative side and not the positive. Current disconnect breaks the positive. The disconnect pictured says to break the negative.

Attachment 54588
0) 4/0 cable is use to power up inverters/chargers where currents can get as high as 200-300 amps. But to cable up between batteries can be much smaller. Let's use 200 amps for an example. If you have a series/parallel setup with 4 batteries then each series battery bank will see 100 amps. I run six 6v batteries and use 1/0 to hook them up.

1) 250 amps continuous and 750 surge is "Ok" for most setups. It doesn't hurt to over kill here so try to buy with rating double what you expect to be running continuous. I try not to have switches between the batteries and the starter. When I do it's to pull in another battery bank to an existing hard wired set.

2) Electrically breaking the positive or negative makes no difference. But real world breaking the negative is better. Anytime you need to work on a battery, install a shunt, or a cut off work the negative side. The Positive side can be wired direct to the load. When you need to remove voltage from a battery it's much safer to remove the negative side because if you accidentally hit the chassis or ground it doesn't matter, no welding your tool to the chassis. Once ground is removed the positive wires have no place for current to flow. (BUT, always fuse the positive lead.)
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 1 Week Ago

Default AC System issues on a 1979 FC31

I decided to post my information request in the thread created by Randy Dupree from 12 years ago. I assume with more than 670+ posts a lot of people would be notified of my posting and I would receive a great deal of feedback from people who have experienced a similar issue.

First, I have read through several threads and found a few similar problems, but nothing exactly like mine. I apologize in advance if I overlooked a post with the same problem description as mine.

Two weeks ago, we acquired a 79 FC31. The bus has been stored inside for its entire life. With the the exception of when it was on the road, however the Bird only had 106,100 miles on it when we purchased it.

The problem:

When we plug into shore power only the lower AC system indicates that it is energized. (see picture)

I used two 30 amp cables plugged into two separate 30 amp outlets. I swapped the cables because I assumed perhaps one was bad. Still only the lower system energized. I then tested both power sources at the campground and both were producing power. My next thought was that the upper 30 amp plug on the coach was dirty and need cleaning and as a result there was a bad connection. I cleaned the plug and reinserted the 30 amp, no luck.(Yes, the selector switch was on shore 30 amp the entire time of this exercise).

I then took the 50 amp cable and plugged it into a 50 amp plug, changed the shore power switch to 50 amp and plugged into the 50 amp outlet at the campground. Again only the lower AC system indicated amperage as shown in the photo.

Yesterday, I was able to bleed the 12.5 KW diesel Perkins/Koehler Genset (yes diesel) and successfully run the generator. After allowing the generator to warm up for 10 minutes I then switched the selector switch to generator mode. Again only the lower AC system is energized.

As a result, I am unable to determine if the front roof top air conditioner works.

I know I must be missing an obvious quick fix on this situation and that is why I have turned to the WOG for help again. I figured between Tim in Arkansas, Gardner Yew and Randy Dupree I would have an answer to my issue before the end of the day.

Appreciate feedback, suggestions and even snarky responses.

Thank You,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4723.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	62977  

Kevin & Christine Coons
Chattanooga, TN
Two Bird Club and Happy About It
1986 Wanderlodge PT 40 “Earl”
1979 FC31 “Ernest”

Last edited by Ilulissat; 1 Week Ago at 09:40 AM. Reason: Attemtping to add picture
Old 1 Week Ago

In your AC breaker panel, are the front air and volt meter on the same AC breaker?
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 96k back home in GA
1990 SP36 78k (going to Bobbie Martin soon)
Old 1 Week Ago

I wonder if one of your wires on manual transfer switch is bad
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplamb View Post
In your AC breaker panel, are the front air and volt meter on the same AC breaker?
Hi Chip,

I did check the the AC breaker panel and reset every breaker on the panel during my exercise at the campground on the way home last weekend from Cleveland, OH.

I don’t envy your ride from Eureka to Augusta, but in an M380 probably will be a very nice ride.

Safe Travels,

Kevin

Kevin & Christine Coons
Chattanooga, TN
1979 FC31 “Ernest”
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Ekberg View Post
I wonder if one of your wires on manual transfer switch is bad
Thanks for the tip, quick question while that may be an issue would it contribute to the issue of the top AC system not energizing?

Kevin & Christine Coons
Chattanooga, TN
1979 FC31 “Ernest”
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilulissat View Post
I don’t envy your ride from Eureka to Augusta, but in an M380 probably will be a very nice ride.

Safe Travels,

Kevin
It's a long one, 600 down, 2300 to go.
Project along the way is to figure out where the bad IGN ACC connection is that goes to the slides. I don't need the slides on the trip but I might when I get home and want to go somewhere fun!
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 96k back home in GA
1990 SP36 78k (going to Bobbie Martin soon)
Old 1 Week Ago

If you get no power on that leg, yes
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Is there an entire leg dead??
Or maybe just the Power Watch read out meter & green light???
Old 1 Week Ago

Bill and Ernest,

Appears that the entire leg is dead. Do not have 100% power capability on 50 amp shore or with the 12.5 kw Generator running.

Also, not sure if that has any thing to do with the problem. When I just left the bus parking area I was running the generator and the rear air conditioner. I started the bus and drove leas than a mile and the rear a/c unit quit working, but the generator was still running. Not sure if the lower AC meter was still showing amps and the green light was on. My son went to investigate if the air conditioner was still running and he does not remember if the green light was on.

Kevin & Christine Coons
Chattanooga, TN
1979 FC31 “Ernest”

Last edited by Ilulissat; 1 Week Ago at 02:58 PM.